1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bullard: Already Looking At Rockets' Needs For Next Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AnnaMegan, Apr 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. AnnaMegan

AnnaMegan Member

2. anchel

anchel Member

Bullard, Drexler... no comparison

3. LandryMegaBeast

He has no faith................................. :mad:

4. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

yea our Center is our 2nd shortest player on our starting lineup. Not a good winning formula. Chuck is a great backup PF but we have to find a big man someway somehow.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

if we begin a 3rd straight season without a legitimate starting center I'm gonna punch a wall

6. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is that a threat? ;)

7. k-money

k-money Member

maybe to a wall?

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Coming down the home stretch. Rockets on the outside looking in. Still alive but basically done. How disheartening was that game?

Wanted to apologize, sorry I didnt RT your tweet there.

Damn you Matt. The Rockets down the stretch have had stamina issues because they've been playing their asses off. Last night they couldnt afford to lose and they did exactly that.

Yeah bad loss.

No other way to put it. It's over now. Watching that game, Joel talked about it prior to the game, the young Kings backcourt playing well. Not so surprising was the Rockets getting abused inside.

Been a problem all season long. When you have a team like the Kings with 3-4 7 footers, you ask how do we not have one? How would Sam Dalembert look in a Rockets uni? The Rockets got to find height this summer, height that is effective. Give Chuck credit, he has played hard, had his best year of his career, love watching him, appreciate the level he has played at but still he is 6'5-6'6. Think about it, how many teams have a starting 2 guard that is bigger than their center?

Pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, Martin 6'7 and Chuck 6'5ish.

Again, people love Chuck, but reality is this, I dont care who they add at any other position, they wont win with a 6'5 guy at center. Wont happen. Not a knock on him. They gotta get a 7 footer in there and a legitimate 3.

Good point. Budinger did have off night last night. Rockets did have off shooting night last night. That will happen. You will have nights like that. That's why you got to have a solid D. You will have nights when you're not efficient on O so you got to rely on your D to stop the other team. If your D cant stop the Kings, that's a problem. They've played hard and are competing, but obviously anyone can see things need to be fixed.

You're a longtime Houstonian. Today living in an era where all 3 teams enjoy success at the box office despite struggling in the W/L column. Did you ever think we'd get to this day in Houston? Rockets are 20th in NBA attendance and want to do better but still talking 80-90% capacity every night.

Talking 80-90% tickets sold. Difference between capacity. Rockets had "We're going green towels" in the lower bowl and end of the night, some still there as people were leaving.

Isnt tickets sold the bottom line?

It is. Early 90s, the Summit was empty. No one was there. Took championships to get people on board. But right about Houston sports teams getting tickets sold. I got to see Christian Laettner. He was in town. He said, "Wow, Houston got 3 major brand new stadiums, start of the art, what other major city could say that?" Got me thinking, he's right. Houston is a good sports town. Got 3 good places to watch.

I've got here in 81, I never thought we would be at a point where people showed up to the extent they do without the team winning. This was historically a town that didnt draw a huge crowd until they proved worthy of their support. Do you think the venues are biggest reason?

Not sure what the reason is. I do see though what you are saying. When I was here, you had to win to get people to come out and see you play. It is different now. I do have a question for you. With all those empty seats in the lower bowl, those tickets were sold but no one in those seats. We have a lot of Rockets fans in this town. I run across them every day. A lot of passionate fans but they cant afford to go to those games. Those tickets are way too expensive. What would it be like if they were priced at a point, true Rockets fans could come and would be in that lower bowl? Would be awesome.

Bull, in a perfect world that would happen. As we know, its not a perfect world. Never gonna happen. You say the true fans are left out, but what keeps these teams thriving might not be the truest of fans but it is the wealthiest fans. The CEOs, guys who can afford it. Thats who keeps it going.

One of the reasons it is remarkable. Economy isnt good but it is remarkable the tickets these 3 teams have sold without having success.

Looking at the roster, not a finished product, but looking at the roster, untouchables? Lowry, Martin, and Scola. Outside of that, you need a elite 3 and big man. So to you, who is untouchable?

Lets start with: What is your goal? Les' goal is a championship. Won before, wants to do it again. I would say no one is untouchable. If you're trying to win championships, you got pieces here that are valuable to other teams. Other teams love Scola. We love Scola, so do other teams. Same with Lowry. I wouldnt say anyone is untouchable. If you're trying to win championships, and you arent making the playoffs, you got to seriously look at what are we going to do? You package some of these guys. You need superstars.

I see Scola as a foundation four and Lowry as an emerging point guard. I think you got a baller as elite PG potentially.

I love Lowry. He got paid last year. Big jump over what he was making. What I like about him, after he got paid, he got better. Usually a big worry with a Carmelo or Stoudemire. Randolph too. Once you pay them, are they going to get better? Lowry got better, didnt put it on cruise control. Got respect for guys like that.

Guessing that while no one is untouchable, that they'd like to keep Lowry, Martin and Scola.

Definitely. Martin a guy who is overlooked on national stage. He has had 20 30 pt games this season.

Also a guy who plays at high level regardless of salary. He recently got his.

Yeah. Got respect for guys who get paid and continue to play.

[Caller]: Josh brought up Scola, but on D, he cant play. Anyhow, what if you bring in, like Orlando, made it to finals and got dominant D center, they never had any great defenders around him. Goes to show if you got an anchor in the middle, he can clean up a lot. I'm with Josh in keeping some of these pieces. What if you bring in a D anchor and not make any wholesale changes. Add a Dalembert, how good can this team be?

Dalembert a FA right Bull?

Not sure. ... Ocho onto something. We got some really good pieces. Chemistry is good. They play hard and love playing with each other. We know Rockets in the 90s had Hakeem, the best center in the game. We werent great on D and Hakeem was erasing shots. Definite shotblocker can make you better defensive team but also, your big has to be offensive minded as well.

Two points, the D isnt good. You talk about Scola and Martin, both can score but both are liability on D. You talk about how you played and werent good on D, do they have enough O? Does one big man do that much and can it take them from 41 win team to 50 win team?

You bring in Patterson behind Scola, he is a good defender. He is getting better on O.

Dalembert a UFA.

A guy who can help out.

You are in New Orleans. They'll make the playoffs. Had two seperate runs of 9-0. Been streaky. Lost West. Carl stepping in and has played well. If you're in NO, happy about playoffs but cant expect long run can you?

No. Top 3-4 teams will be top 3-4 teams at end of the playoffs. SA hasnt come to final wire strong but have had good year. Hornets have had up and down year. With West out, you'd think we'd have a chance but Carl playing great ball. Chris Paul up and down too this year, battled injuries, in last 5 games, averaging 13 pts and 10 ast. If you can catch him on off night, you can maybe get them.

Just when the Clippers took out the Grizzlies, door was open, doesnt seem like it was meant to be.

I was following on my phone. 5 minutes left when the Grizzlies lost, I thought we had a chance. Didnt happen. Devastating loss. Plane ride was quiet. Interested to see how they play tonight. Big test tonight. Still alive for playoffs but not a legitimate chance.

UFA centers: Dalembert, Chandler, DeAndre Jordan. What do you think?

I would pick Jordan. He is athletic, got biggest upside. Out of those 3, if you pay them, he would be the one who would get better after you pay them. Leary to pay Chandler. What will you get? I dont see him getting better.

Another guy wanna throw out there: Marcus Thornton. Was in the Landry deal. Think he could be a legitimate two in this league?

I do. When you see guys go to bad team and produce, he has a chance to have nice career. Will have to battle now, when you are playing on a bad team, those teams become selfish and pick up bad habits. Ellis a good player but got such bad habits from playing in GS, I dont know if you can bring him to a good team and not sure if he would produce.

Thornton a RFA. He can score.

Excited about Anaheim Royals?

Three teams in the greater LA market, I guess enough people to support that. Sacramento has die hard fans but guess money isnt there and not getting a new building.

[Caller]: Scola and Hayes, like those 2 players. Would almost like to see Scola at the 3 and Hayes at the 4 next year. Scola with the O, CHuck with D. Seems like he is almost as good as Shane on D. Thoughts on them playing together?

Give CHuck credit for working on his weaknesses. Really improved his O this year. Dont think you can play Scola at the 3, no way he can guard 3 men. Chuck would come in off the bench again if you got a guy like Jordan.

Chuck a UFA this summer. Imagine he would like to stay put but never know.

His highest worth is staying Houston. Houston knows him, he's comfortable here. If he goes to another team, I think he would find out the grass isnt greener over there.

1 person likes this.
  9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

At least two active players are needed, no shorter than 7ft. in height.
    + a starting Point Guard and a much better back up Shooting Guard.
    Yao Ming might be one of the two tall players!:p

10. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bullard with an earth shattering idea, the Rockets need a real center that can protect the rim. All these cf geniuses and none of us could come up with that? What the hell.

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

what about john mcclains needs?

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So you obviously thought Ming was a backup at best :confused: :confused: :confused:

The problem for the Rockets hasn't been HAVING a legit center, it' been keeping him on his feet (foot?).

Ok - so now we can officially wash our hands of Yao, and actually look for a genuine starting NBA center to add to this current squad - and hopefully one who doesn't break down 5-10 games into the season... (or at any time frankly!)

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I say we have the Chinese work on some extreme platform tennis shoes for Chuck.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'd say we need to find a legitimate swingman at the three. Bud is great on the offensive end, there is no doubt about that; but he is more of a quick off-the-bench short stint type. He hurts us too much on the defensive end to play him for anything longer than 25+ minutes. Team defense can only help so much...

I'd almost have to say that is our first priority; because our team is built around team defense, not individual defense. As good as it is to have a 7'0+ shotblocker in the paint, it is not necessary. We have such excellent rotations, and help defense in the paint... all we need are post players quick on their feet (and admittedly, being a bit taller would help).

After that; I'd say we should base our offense more around Scola. I like Scola hitting those mid-range jumpers, but please feed the ball to him in the post. Scola is a worthy enough player to draw double-teams, and with our plethora of shooters on the court... it would really help.

15. alethios

alethios Member

I agree with the idea of a more potent (defensively) swing man, so it's critical that we draft right. There are several good, not great, SF-type players in this year's draft that would help us defensively. But, I disagree on the idea of building the offense around Scola. He's not the same player on this team as he is/was with his country's team, where he was able to be aggressive and the focal point. Plus, he's getting long in the tooth, so his days are numbered. He's serviceable in the NBA but not necessarily a go-to guy. I know others will disagree with me but Scola is not the answer.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

A 3/4 swingman that can help defend from the weakside.

KIRILENKO

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

The DeAndre talk is interesting, I wonder if Bull has any inside scoop that the Rockets are high on him. Would probably have to be a sign and trade with the Clips. DeAndre is Griffin's high five buddy, but the Clips did start Kaman and play him 32 minutes last night. Wonder if they would bite on a package of TWill, JHill and Thabeet in a sign and trade, plus maybe a pick?

They are the Clips, of course, and its possible Sterling would not want two centers on their roster both making bank.

18. worzel gummidge

If the Rockets offered him a front-loaded contract like the one Wesley Mathews got would Sterling match?

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

We don't have capspace to do that. After we re-sign Hayes and Yao, all we have left is the MLE,......if there is a MLE in the new CBA.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Too bad Dwight Howard is 6' 11". He's a pretty good player but doesn't fit your requirements.