1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brian Scalabrine makes case for James Harden MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cbs1507, Apr 12, 2018.

1. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

Red Mamba schools Cowherd on his own show.

Deuce, Clutch, s3ts and 2 others like this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't value the opinion of anyone in the video.

Deuce, houston19519, Clutch and 21 others like this.
  3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Ill never look at scal the same way since he dissed us this season lol

adw, buffalobills!!! and DreamShook like this.
  4. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Couldn't have been said any better

[​IMG]

Nick_713, AXG, houston19519 and 2 others like this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yeah, that's why It was weird seeing this guy extolling the merits of Harden's MVP.

I was tricked last year into think Cowherd was a Harden supporter. Cowherd just uses Harden to hate on Westbrook.

Deuce, houston19519, adw and 2 others like this.
  6. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

What he say?

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't value the opinion of soulless gingers.

Harrisment likes this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Rockets aren’t going to be good in the playoffs and the thunder are built for the playoffs. Would take the thunder over rockets

9. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

When did he say that though?

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He's said it consistently up through at least the last week. I have admittedly not heard his show since Friday.

11. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Nah he just goes against the majority opinion

12. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Such a shame. I used to really enjoy Collin for a number of years. The past couple he’s been insufferable for me.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  13. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

I guess well thats his opinion. It won't affect what the Rockets do in the playoffs. I agree with his points here though.

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Easy rebuttal to colon os that Lebron is in the east and Harden played tougher competition in the West.

Also, Harden has to mesh his game with another ball dominant player and he still put up amazing numbers + he won.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

When MENSA members like Scal and Broussard make you look like a dumbass, it's time to rethink your life choices.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"built for the playoffs" or "it's playoffs so way different. " has got to be one of my new favorite dumb sports urban legends.

My theory is that the main things that allow teams to be successful in the regular season also allow them to be successful on the playoffs, hence the strong correlation between regular season success and postseason success in most sports.

There are undoubtedly outliers. But a lot of these have a mitigating factor - the 1995 Rockets, who basically had a whole new team in the playoffs. The 99 Knicks who were playing in a weird 50 game lockout year.

For the most part however, in the NBA, the top seeds take home the titles....as one would expect. (75% of champs are 1 seeds, 14% are 2 seeds, 10% are 3 seeds - and just 3% have come from the rest (95 Rockets at 6 and 69 Celtics at 4)

The main things that differentiates 'in the playoffs" from regular season that seem obvious are:

1) the quality of the opposition is higher
    2) the schedule is compressed and players are already worn down, and badly timed injuries can destroy you, making some level of depth a necessity
    3) matchups/mismatches can be exploited with slightly more discipline since you don't have to worry about another team tomorrow usually. Which probably leads you back to 2) - you need depth or options if you get a bad matchup.

I can't think of too many ways a team would be "built for the playoffs" and not for the regular season if they're using the same players in both. It seems like being a deep, talented team capable of beating good teams repeatedly is kind of the way to go.

A team that benefited from beating up on weak opponents might qualify as not being "built for the playoffs"? I don't really know how much this happens though. You can argue all Eastern Conference champs suffer from this...though it's not a good argument IMO, insofar this disadvantage becomes an advantage of having an easy field as LeBron's 80-zillion consecutive trips to the Finals show.

Maybe a team that relies heavily on rookies is at a disadvantage l? As rookies tend to underachieve relative to their box score this may be something, and lots of rating systems/bettors will toss in a "playoff experience" modifier at the margins.

NBA schedules are not identical, like Euro soccer, but everybody plays everybody 2-4 times, and Strength of Schedule is dominated by tanking teams (Suns) that play 4 games against juggernauts with the juggernauts Houston and Toronto bringing up the rear in each conference SOS, since they didn't get to play themselves and add +200 wins to their SOS.

Anyway with the nebulous criteria in mind, other than not having to play against themselves...how are the Rockets not "built for the playoffs"? They're heavily reliant on 1-2 players but so is everyone else and otherwise can field a pretty quality rotation up to 10 guys. They pretty much beat all comers (save Toronto) at least once or more at full power. They don't really seem inherently solvable more so than anyone else given all the articles written about how unstoppable Harden despite the fact that everyone already knows waht he's going to do when he gets the ball.

Conversely there's not really a ton about the Thunder that would go in the other direction. I know since they win more than expected against some good teams they get the "play to the level of competition" cliche but I'm not really convinced that's a real thing...plus the sample size is tiny. Do we really read a lot into them beating up on Utah back in December when they sucked? Or do we say the Rockets get this bonus too since they got clowned by the tanking Grizzlies. They don't have much depth given that they rely on Corey Brewer in 2018....to shoot 3s! And they don't exactly bring a brilliant gane plan other than "Russ gonna go win this" and will even abandon working plans in order to revert to that plan in a close game.

There probably IS such a thing as being "built for the playoffs" in some sports? its probably a marginal advantage. Cold Weather football teams come to mind...? Dominant starters in baseball? Also in soccer World Cup, given that a lot of times they're fielding all star teams that don't play together alot, and since it's a one-off knockout stage, there's probably some edges to be had with having a player capable of individual brilliance like a Messi/Neymar/Ronaldo, a corps of players from the same club, particularly on defense or in midfield.

Anyway screw Cowherd.

#16 SamFisher, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    hakeem94, Classic, The_Yoyo and 2 others like this.
  17. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Cowherd doesn’t actually get a vote does he?

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think that cliche--"built for the playoffs"--is just an idiot's way of saying a team plays to the level of its opponent which in and of itself is not something I'd be proud of. OKC, by this definition, is definitely "built for the playoffs" because it's leader only puts in extra effort to produce an overall game when they play the Rockets and Warriors of the world and then manage to lose to the bottom feeders.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't even think that means anything. it just means they're in the middle. Beat some good teams, lose to some, beat some bad, lose to some.

playing "to level of competion" = you're near .500, right?

steddinotayto likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

That's it folks .. wrap it up .. it's a done deal because Brian Scalabrini says so. Wasn't he hating not long ago about something Rocket related!

[​IMG]

beardsanity713 likes this.