1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Breaking News... Firefighters on scene of possible building collapse in New York City

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MoonBus, Apr 25, 2002.

1. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Details to come in CNN

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

NYC Building Suffers
    Partial Collapse
    Explosion Rocks Building

N E W Y O R K, April 25 — An explosion rocked a building in Manhattan today, causing a partial collapse and an unknown number of injuries, authorities said.

There were intial reports that it may have been a boiler explosion in a building that houses the Apex Technical School.
    About 100 firefighters rushed to the scene in the Chelsea neighborhood where alarms sounded shortly after 11 a.m. alerting emergency crews to the Apex Technical School.

Early reports from authorities estimated 21 people were injured.

Police crews confirmed to WABC-TV that an explosion had taken place inside the building, although the cause is still unknown.

Apex has an 8-story training facility in the Chelsea location that offers certificate programs in automotive services, airconditioning and refrigeration, and welding.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

They said it is a welding and automotive building in Chelsea in New York and that it was an explosion on one of the floors.

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

5. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Thanks,

Moonbus for the news alert.

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

#6 BobFinn*, Apr 25, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2002
  7. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Thankfully they do not suspect any foul play.

Excerpt from the CNN article (HOOP-T's link)

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

My fiancee lives 5 blocks away (and luckily, she was at school). Everytime we walk down 6th, we would always make fun of the Apex Technical School, because the sign on the building said "Apex nical School." Tragic.

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I got to work in midtown at noon, when everyone in the office was buzzing about the "explosion".

Oh no. Here we go again.... I thought.

Either way, we turn on CNN, and they are on the scene in Chelsea, at 19th street between Sixth and Seventh avenues.

I make deliveries in that area but the closest I ever go is 23rd and Seventh.

Ironically, this was close to where a maniac mowed down pedestrians two days in a row last month.

There were no problems with the subways today from what I experienced.