1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boom!] Mavs Beat Writer Detonates Analytics Nerd Boys; Morey, Hinkie Crying over Nachos

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SamFisher, Feb 25, 2016.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Via Deadspin - For my boys Kwame, DD, leebigez, fchowd, Rocket River, Charles Barkley, and the rest of you analytics h8rs

Fort Worth Star Telegram Mavs Beat Writer Dwain Price has just delivered the Smackdown of the Century on .xls driven basketball.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If u have great players, you're going 2 win games. If u have bad players, you're going 2 lose games. What does analytics have 2 do with it?</p>&mdash; Dwain Price (@DwainPrice) <a href="https://twitter.com/DwainPrice/status/702262801478262784">February 23, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Left Jab!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Was analytics around when Jordan won 6 titles in 8 years, or when Russell won 11 in 13 years? Those teams had great players! Period.</p>&mdash; Dwain Price (@DwainPrice) <a href="https://twitter.com/DwainPrice/status/702263635679129603">February 23, 2016</a></blockquote>

OH STRAIGHT RIGHT HAND! That hurt him Jim!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">You take the analytics and all of its glory, and I'll take the 13 great players, and may the best man win.</p>&mdash; Dwain Price (@DwainPrice) <a href="https://twitter.com/DwainPrice/status/702273281366237184">February 23, 2016</a></blockquote>

Right Hook! He's gonna try and end it here!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">You put your best analytic team out there and he rolls out his best, one of you will lose. So at best, analytics works just 50% of the time.</p>&mdash; Dwain Price (@DwainPrice) <a href="https://twitter.com/DwainPrice/status/702640206864715777">February 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

KO! DOWN GOES MOREY DOWN GOES DATA ! IT'S OVER!

1 person likes this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Oh...oh my...Dwain Price...

[​IMG]

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've heard that guy give an interview before. He doesn't come off as incredibly intelligent.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You are just angry because he used math to prove you wrong Haymitch, at best analytics is a 50/50 proposition.

The PRICE is RIGHT.

5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Simple answer, analytics support that MJ and Russell are all-time greats.
    ***** off, Dallas douchebag.

6. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I'd never met the guy, never @ replied him, never wrote anything critical about him in a column, never emailed him, and I'm not sure if he even followed me on Twitter.

And if he's a Maverick homer (which he shouldn't be, because of his job, but it happens), he's got no beef with me because I've written endless understanding columns crediting the Mavs for shooting for the fences in the rough post-lockout years.

Then one day I'm doing a little Mav research for something, which includes going to the Twitter feeds of the beat writers and bloggers, and I see that the dude blocked me. Really, truly, odd.

"IcePrice" even used to follow me on AOL IM, and vice versa, back in the days when that was how writers interacted with each other (though we never talked).

And yeah that was dumb.

(So there it is, the first block-worthy thing I've said about him.)

1 person likes this.
  7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

You probably mentioned like one negative stat about the Mavs at some point and he went "ANALYTICS LIEEEEEEEEEEE" and blocked you.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like Daryl has always said, it's just one tool of many.

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

If u have more points than the other team, you're going 2 win games. If u have less points, you're going 2 lose games. What does analytics have 2 do with it?

10. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

If prime Michael Jordan played against a high school player, one player has to win and one has to lose, so at best Jordan would be 50/50 proposition. It's just math.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Ironic that an unabashed Mavs homer would hate on analytics so publicly

12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

MURRAY'S VIBRATING CALCULATOR HAS MALFUNCTIONED! ITS ALL OVER!

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If his mother had wanted him to grow up intelligent, would she have named him Dwain? I mean, really? D-w-a-i-n?

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I guess on the same level as D-w-y-a-n-e. :grin:

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Fear of the Unknown at its finest. Dude has no idea what analytics actually is, and has no ability to comprehend it, so instead of admitting that it could be a worthwhile tool for NBA teams to invest in, he doubles down on his ignorance and posts his "HOT TAKE."

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Will analytics explain why he blew up the 2011 championship team, let Tyson walk twice after being with the team one year, not taking the draft seriously, striking out on big free agents, and why they haven't gotten out of the first round since 2011?

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont think he knows that dallas and their beloved owner believes in analytics. From hiring Gerssons to puban arguing with skip on espn on how they guarded Lebron in the finals. Thats all analytics breh.

Literally everything that comes from this guys twitter account is pure garbage. I dont know how he has any followers.

18. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Like Bob Knight once said, "one or two steps above prostitution."

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Ranking of those tweets from most logical to most ludicrous:

And 3 was pretty ludicrous.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He is using analytic to disprove analytic. This might be the best singular tweet I have ever read in my life. If this 50% expectation value is true the implications are incredible.