1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bobcats won't plunge into free agency

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hooroo, Jul 1, 2005.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlo...ource=rss&channel=charlotte_charlotte_bobcats

That's one potential big player in free agency out.

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I really like how the Bobcats are building their team. No need to go out and sign a 2nd option on a good team or 1st option on a bad team type player (Redd) to a huge deal...Or sign an aging player to a max deal. I have a feeling they will approach 30 wins next season and in the following year or two will pick up a marquee free agent that makes them a very solid team.

3. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Great calls.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Charlotte is taking things slow, which is good, the last thing a brand new franchise needs to do is sign a player to a bad contract. But they'll eventually need to get a big name. Okafor, May, and Felton can maybe get them 25-30 wins.

I wonder if FA's have any interest in Charlotte to begin with?

5. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

All they have to do is try to schedule Houston a few more times, and they'll be just fine. :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

How could they not consider Green at 13? They're taking their time, developing young players, and a great prospect falls right to them and they don't even consider him? Not only that, but they take a guy who plays the same position as their best player. I was very surprised they didn't take him because if he pans out, they've got a good perimeter player for the next 15 years.

7. micah1j

micah1j Member

This is good. One less MLE and they won't be using their cap space to aquire a decent player.

8. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

But I still don't lknow why they picked May - it would have made more sense to pick a swingman, and then let Brezec and Okafor start until they can aquire a young center (next year's draft?) and let Okafor play PF. Even if they didn't like Green or Granger, Graham would have made a nice pick.

9. micah1j

micah1j Member

Passing on Green &/or Granger will come back to haunt them.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It will probably haunt the 1st 15 teams that passed on him. I can't believe Toronto passed on both of them twice!! Charlie Villaneuva? Joey Graham? Green and Granger will be much better than both of those guys.

11. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I actually dont like what they did in the draft at all. I think they should have taken Channing Frye with the 5th pick and then Green/Granger at #13. That would easily be the best frontcourt in the East in two years. None of the guys they drafted has star potential. I understand they wanted some local kids to help generate revenue, but I think a good team would do the trick. Besides they have two better than average PG's in Brevin Knight and Jason Hart. If they couldnt get Paul they should have

As far as Free-Agency goes, I agree this year is kind of light, but they should have just called Joe Johnson to see if he is interested.

As if stands now, they are small without any good shooters other than Kapono who offers NOTHING else. They will be ok, but they could have been much better.

12. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Has anyone heard any mention of what if anything they plan to do with Kareem Rush? He seemed like a fairly promising player when he was with LA. I wouldn't mind us looking at him as an option at the 2 guard.

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Raymond Felton won't be a star like Chris Paul, but they got themselves a solid PG, who's a proven winner. Now, at #13, they blew it by drafting Sean May, who's just not quick or athletic enough to cut it at the next level. He'll be a solid NBA player, just nothing special. They had the chance to draft a potential star in Gerald Green, who was the nation's top rated HS player, or a proven scorer in Danny Granger.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

One more thing. Whose idea was it to hire Bernie Bickerstaff to build an expansion franchise???

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

They need to deal something up front for some swingman help. G Wallace isn't gonna cut it.

Mel Ely proved he can be effective last year. May's stock is pretty high, and Brezec has some value being a relatively young 7 footer who showed a lot early in the season.

If Felton can hold down the point, I relaly think they should deal one of those guys up front for a legit 2 or 3 so that they're not started Felton, Jason Hart, G Wallace or something similar