1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bobcats eye trading No. 2 pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by getbloodyred, Jun 26, 2012.

1. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

HARLOTTE, N.C. -- New Charlotte coach Mike Dunlap says the idea of trading down from the No. 2 spot in the NBA draft to acquire extra picks "makes a lot of sense" for a young team like the Bobcats.

After finishing 7-59 and with the worst winning percentage (.106) in NBA history, the Bobcats have a variety of holes to fill this offseason.

Dunlap recognizes that.

That's one of the reasons he said the Bobcats are taking a "hybrid thinking" approach to Thursday night's draft, which means evaluating the talent available at No. 2 while simultaneously looking into the feasibility of moving down and picking up an additional first-round draft pick.

I think anybody in our situation would have that on the board. (Our) people are very smart up top. So options and thinking of your variables is a very smart thing to do.

-- Bobcats coach Mike Dunlap
    He said the option of trading down "is on the board."

"I think anybody in our situation would have that on the board," Dunlap said. "(Our) people are very smart up top. So options and thinking of your variables is a very smart thing to do."

Dunlap said the decision on whether to remain at No. 2 or move down will be up to his bosses -- general manager Rich Cho and director of basketball operations Rod Higgins. As of right now they're not talking about the draft, though both are expected to address the media at a pre-draft press conference Wednesday.

The New Orleans Hornets won the NBA lottery and have the No 1 pick.

It would be a major surprise if they don't take Kentucky's Anthony Davis, considered by many a franchise-type player.

The No. 2 pick is a bit more complicated.

There's no consensus pick for that spot with opinions varying on whether Kansas forward Thomas Robinson, Florida guard Bradley Beal, Kentucky swingman Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or North Carolina forward Harrison Barnes might be the next best player available.

Dunlap says the front office has "definitely reduced" the number of candidates in consideration for the No. 2 pick should the team stand pat.

"That's their job," Dunlap said of Cho and Higgins. "And I'm a resource. But those guys have done a wonderful job all year long of evaluation, so I think they have a clear idea of scenarios. There are many variables, but they have it down."

One intriguing potential trade partner for the Bobcats could be the Cleveland Cavaliers, who own picks No. 4 and 24.

If the Bobcats trade down it might allow them to acquire an outside shooter.

That's what Dunlap considers the team's most pressing need.

Mike and Mike in the Morning

ESPN NBA draft Insider Chad Ford covers the Bobcats' plan for the No. 2 pick, Thomas Robinson, Bradley Beal, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Anthony Davis, Jared Sullinger and more.

More Podcasts »
    "The ability to make the three is important because it allows you to play inside the 3-point line," Dunlap said. "What happens is a defense collapses and it gets crowded in there. I would say that is safe to say that we need to do that. And we need to do a better job with our spacing, too. But as far as the roster goes it's always nice to have guys who can shoot a basketball."

The Bobcats worked out four players on Monday including Vanderbilt's John Jenkins, who fits the bill as an outside shooter after shooting 48.3 percent from beyond the arc last season.

Although he's not considered a top 10 pick, he could be an option for the Bobcats with their second round pick (31st overall). The others that worked out Monday in Charlotte were Missouri's Kim English, Virginia Tech's Dorenzo Hudson and High Point's Nick Barbour.

"I think it's a good draft and I also think there are a lot of guys out there that will be in that top 20 who have won a lot of basketball games," Dunlap said. "They kind of know the expectations. I also think you'll see a lot of wheeling and dealing with teams moving down or up."

While Dunlap could have some input on draft day decisions, his primary focus has been on developing the players he has on the roster.

He's dove head-first into the challenge.

Known as a no-nonsense coach, Dunlap spent more than two hours Monday working with a handful of Bobcats players including Byron Mullens and last year's rookie lottery picks Kemba Walker and Bismack Biyombo. The practice was fast-paced and intense in nature.

"Their work ethic and their willingness to learn has been good," he said. "I hope so, it's the honeymoon and there's nothing at stake right now."

Dunlap, who previously worked as an assistant at St. John's, has also been working on assembling an assistant coaching staff, although nothing is imminent.

"We're going to take our time," Dunlap said. "As they say in the business, hire slow, fire fast. I know that one."

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/st...arlotte-bobcats-considering-trading-no-2-pick

could the rockets take advantage of this opportunity?

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Now, this is definitely interesting.

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Where's the morey pic?

4. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

MKG and keep him please.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They want one of the top 6 guys, doesn't make sense to treade with us.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

dealing with the Hornets is bad juju. But i'd do a deal with the devil to improve our team.

8. Htown's2kFinest

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This could hurt the pursuit of a second star for the Rockets or at least up the price of that player.

More than likely Orlando would prefer multiple picks in this draft as opposed to the #2 pick alone so I dont think Morey really cares about getting the #2 as opposed to just getting as much bulk as possible in the first round.

If that pick is in play for a all-star calliber player like Josh Smith or Gasol that might be available then it could up the price of what the Rockets would be paying for that secondary star to plug in next to Dwight.

We should hope that the Bobcats end up keeping that pick for the Rockets sake rather than shopping it.

10. Mariachi ROCKET

Whack Attack balls Sack! LOL

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

sidenote - the new bobcats coach seems to have a great attitude, work ethic and perspective for that squad. still can't win without talent, but undersatnd why MJ picked him.

12. moreyball

moreyball Member

Kevin Martin for the #2 pick. Isn't Martin a part of Team Jordan?

13. Indaface

Indaface Member

Trade with Sac-town to get #5.

Send #5, Morris and Reke to MJ for #2.

He's a bad enough GM he might take it.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was thinking something similar. If we could do that deal with Sacramento, #5 and #18 is better than #4 and #24. If they'd take Evans instead, all the better.

15. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

If we land #2, i really hope we keep who we draft....and this is becoming a very interesting off season.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This. I like Brad Beal!

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Seriously? You want to move up to #2 in order to get yet another roleplayer?

I'd love to acquire #2... to use it on Robinson.

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

Another role-player.

19. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Yes, #2 I'd take MKG. I guess we have different views on his talent and potential.

20. Asian Sensation

Nobody knows how picks 2-10 will turn out. NOBODY. I can see picks 6-10 turning out better than 2-5. It's such a crapshoot after Davis. This is a smart move by the Bobcats. Cho knows.