1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Oct 5, 2020.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

LOL. Nobody was an O'Brien fan? Keep lyin to yourself. Literally everyone knows that u are the numero uno O'Brien fan, u single handily kept the Fire BoB thread going with your stupid ass defense.

Wait a year, you will see our oline gel. Just watch tradin hopkins was worth, since we have a diversified offense. Hell i dont want to fire o'brien he might win a superbowl somewhere else. and the other random sht u sprout over the years defending this sht coach.

My favorite one is draft pick are overrated.

Hell u refuse to call this coach a sht coach cause he won us division titles like they mean something lol.

clos4life and TheRealist137 like this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Good guy. Great Teammate.

4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

To be fair I would take a division title right now.

5. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Alabama will probably hire him as a consultant and let him work his way back up. They seem to hire every other failed coach in the nation to do that at some point.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Thanks for making my Hopkins jersey pointless

clos4life likes this.
  7. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I have a collection of them that left before I got to wear the jerseys much and I just wear them to the games when I had season tickets.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Let my tickets go like 3 years ago. I meant it, I was not watching another OBrien game!

clos4life likes this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

A **** coach doesn’t win 4 division titles. O’Brien’s problem is he got too much control. Absolute power corrupts Absolutely. He lost sight of what makes a good coach/leader...different voices/delegation to great people around you. A great leader doesn’t do it alone. A great coach knows his weaknesses (and strengths) and does what is necessary to sure up those weaknesses.

The beginning of the end is when Rick Smith left. Smith was the counter balance. He was a better evaluator of talent and knew how to acquire it. O’Brien strength was as motivator in the locker room. He was never the best X and O’s guy, but he could put a gameplan together to win. However, rigid commitment to an offensive scheme that never evolved to his help his QB and his inability to get the Oline to play consistently ruined his ability to win.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

This is the first year I didn't get them the cost plus Obrien made it an easy decision.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

You suck too, mother****ers!

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

If the guy had just hired a real OC he would still have a job.

pgabriel likes this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

BOB isn't a terrible coach, he's just not an NFL coach that can take you near the top. I actually think he would be a great hire for a second tier college program.

But as a GM he is a complete joke that has actively handicapped his successor due to his overinflated belief in himself, so good riddance. Should have happened 2 years ago. It's like 2002 all over again, I'm just happy to have a football team I can finally care about again, regardless of results.

clos4life likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Good luck to the college that's going to hire him.

clos4life likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Lets "appreciate" this for a little while also: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/positional/

The Houston Texans have the 7th highest payroll in the league.

This team spends the 5th most money on offense in the NFL!! The 3rd most on special teams?? SMH.

Positionally - 2nd most on RBs in the NFL, 4th most on WRs!!! They have a top 10 'paid' offensive line SMH. Top 10 Linebacker pay on this team.

OBrien has left this team in shambles when you also take into account the 3rd worst team in terms of draft capital moving forward: http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/power_rankings

there is nothing to celebrate. Bill OBrien took over a turnkey franchise who was coming off a down year but that had the nucleus of a 12-4 team and he DESTROYED it for his own selfish and warped view on "winning" football.

His pissy personality and temper didnt help his cause - good riddance. Have fun at Yale.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Mario v still might though. Lulz.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Um...no. There have been PLENTY of Rookies that have bad coaching and never develop. You bring in the wrong coach, you can stunt development. That is why you don't fire O'Brien.

Part of the issue with RG3 is that brought in Jay Gruden and he HATED RG3....didn't adjust his offense.

#1769Mr.Scarface, Dec 13, 2017

I could find plenty more nuggets of u defending this medicore coach. Not a fan my ass.

clos4life likes this.
  18. Fantasma Negro

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

2017, After Watson had the most incredible 6 1/2 games for a Rookie QB.

BTW, doesn't say I'm a fan...say didn't want to stunt DW4 development at the time.

Find something after 2018 season.

Go back to your boyfriend.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Foster, Duane Brown, Clowney, young Hopkins, prime Watt. Imagine if Deshaun had all that to work with.

Not even BoB could mess that up. (Maybe.)

clos4life and Fantasma Negro like this.