1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beverley or Lin....long term?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Apr 24, 2013.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I apologize if this brings in all the LOFs and LOHs, but this is a realistic question that should be brought up.

Which PG is better suited, LONG TERM, for the Rockets--if either of them are. Beverly is currently definitely playing his way into a long term, starting PG, contract with some team. i believe the rockets have him for another year.

but would the rockets be better off with beverly as their starting PG longterm, or lin?

yes, beverly has to improve his 2pt range, but he's a ball hawk a la kyle lowry, and thats a quality that lin doesnt necessarily have.

discuss....shut down if theres already a similar thread

2. nono

nono Member

So this is what happens every time Beverly has a good game ? I was happy for him but this is seriously getting annoying.

1 person likes this.
  3. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

No, it's not a realistic question. Rockets isn't under the pressure to trade either of them tonight.

We have a playoffs series going on. So, you can't and don't need to decide for "LONG TERM" now.

4. pnr

pnr Member

Um... pretty sure we can keep both on the team...

5. awc713

awc713 Member

seriously not trying to troll. but you cant just ignore the game that beverly played.

i love lin as a player, i think he has a lot of room to grow, and he's outplayed his expectations this year.

but hes not nearly as defensive oriented as beverly. beverly constantly wreck havoc. yes lin is the better offensive player right now, but beverly is still so young (As is lin).

we are blessed with two pretty good point guards...but which is a better long term player? you can't say lin was THAT much better than bev this year

6. CCM721

CCM721 Member

I'm pretty sure a lot of people feel the exact same way every time Lin has a good game.

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Beverley right now reminds me a mix between Lowry and Rafer Alston.

He's got all the good qualities of Rafer and the grit and hustle of Lowry. He is probably a better rebounder than Lowry.

With that said, if you told me to choose who to keep, it's gotta be Beverley long term. Guy plays with FIRE every minute he's on the court. Guy rebounds and plays D like Chuck Hayes and grabs boards like he's Dennis Rodman.

With Lin you just have no idea who is going to show up.

It's obvious the coaching staff is more comfortable with Beverley running the point as Lin was playing off guard tonight.

8. Camaro ZL1

Camaro ZL1 Member

REALLY? Are you serious? Just because of few good game? You seems like a troll.

Too bad the decision isn't yours or else our team would have been disaster. You just don't make that type of decision because of few good game.

9. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I don't think Lin is going anywhere for two more years considering his contract, marketing and... potential.

Bev has impressed but not sure of his contract. Is it minimum with team option? Still unproven in a starting situation (only one game - too small a sample size). His contract could also impact cap room to sign a second star depending on how much he thinks he's worth (and other teams think he's worth).

I think both will likely continue to play same roles next season with Lin starting. At times you can start them both depending on match-ups (and if we get a legit PF).

If Lin goes backwards in performance next year, Bev might have a chance to grab that starting spot.

10. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

I'm just afraid that "long-term" will turn out to be next February.

11. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

with Harden and Mchale(or Finch) and Morey.
    i would say Bev is a better fit for this system in long term(5 yrs).
    Bev is perfect fit for Morey ball.

12. Mr. Space City

brooks vs lowry > lowry vs dragic > beverly vs lin

13. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Kelvin Cato.

14. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

LOL!!!!

15. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

have they signed BEV? If not he might be gone, whats his status ? free agent? - his value has just risen by heaps!

16. texansalltheway

Beverly has that fearlessness, and is developing into an impact player

17. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Found Rockets players contracts on this site:
    http://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/

Says Bev end year is 2014 and will be a free agent 2015.

So I guess next year is his contract year. At least we got him for 1 more year.

18. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Sorry made a mistake.

Bev's contract is as follows:

CONTRACT:3 yr(s) / $1,985,491 SIGNING BONUS - AVERAGE SALARY $661,830 END YEAR:2014 / 2015 FREE AGENT:2015 / Restricted
    YEAR BASE S. BONUS MISC. CAP HIT
    2012 281,376 - - 281,376
    2013 788,872 - - 788,872
    2014 915,243 - - 915,243
    2015 1,181,348 - - 1,181,348
    2015 RFA

*2013 and 2014 non-guaranteed

19. hahachui

hahachui Member

Just Keep Both.
    We can play small ball!!!!!

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I can't help but say this is deja vu.

Brooks injured, Lowry got time to shine as the starter.

Lowry hurt, Dragic got time to shine as the starter.

Now it's Lin hurt, and Beverley gets time to shine as a starter.

This team has a cycle, where the back up is destined to take over the starting spot.

The curse that began with Brooks.