1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Coach: Blatt or Spoelstra

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Mar 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I see Blatt getting alot of national attention now.
    LeBron skews alot of views on coaches

Has Blatt gotten better or is LeBron being LeBron

Alot of people use to say how great a coach Spoelstra was
    so now .. . I wonder if he still is or just had superior talent
    and out gunned everyone

So who is the better coach Blatt or Spoelstra

Rocket River

2. what

what Member

The cavs are NOT a team. In the final minute of the game they just revert to one on one iso basketball, which, to me, tells you all you need to know about that team. Lebron taking 35 shots, JR Smith calling his own number.

They aren't going to beat Toronto or Atlanta in the playoffs, not even with a juiced up Lebron.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

where was mozgov after he killed us inside the first Q? he only played 18min..

then he elected to play harden straight up instead of doubling way too many possessions..

didn't post up love enough in the 2nd half..

imo blatt is trash, and nothing compared to spoelstra

4. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Spoelstra by far. Blatt hasn't even been in the league a year though.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DANG IT . . I thought I had put this in the Hangout
    Thanks for moving it

Rocket River

6. what

what Member

He's not trash, he just has a bunch of ME players.

Mcfail is no different. I don't see a lot of offense being run between James Harden and Josh Smith.

The grizzlies have a bread and butter play which is Marc and Mike high screen and roll, and that's why the grizzlies are one of the best half court teams in the league.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the OP is comparing lebron's last 2 coaches, blatt and spoelstra. mchale and grizzled bball are for another thread…..stay on topic

8. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

is it me or does david blatt have a face you just wanna punch

9. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I think Spo is the better coach mostly because he is allowing Riley to mold him, and Riley was an all time great coach.

This Cavs team is way too talented to not reach the finals in the East, it would be a horribly coached team to not make it.

It would actually be even worse for the Cavs since they gave up Wiggins to win right now. I imagine Wiggins is going to become significantly better in year 2, and a Lebron/Wiggins combo would have been SO HELPFUL for Lebron.

He wouldn't have to guard the best player on every team if he had Wiggin's help.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

LeBron is one of the best coaches and GMs in NBA history

1 person likes this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nah it's just you Herr Himmler

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I was shocked. Mozgov was Killing us. I wondered during the game why they did not involve him more on offense and then I saw he only played 18 minutes. I really do not get this. Look I like Thompson and he was playing great, but Mozgov was destroying us.

13. Airdough

Airdough Member

I don't know why Blatt didn't have Love in there at the end of the game. If you want to stretch the floor for a LeBron stiff arm and drive/kick, then Love sitting in the corner is much better than having Thompson out there.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think they are both good coaches, but I look at infrastructure more as a situation that is better or worse for winning a championship.

The infrastructure with Miami under Riley and co. definitely has a much better ability to guide superstar talent, and can manipulate those players into guiding talent to do what you want to with it.

I think Blatt is doing a great job despite having so many random variables thrown his way and a shaky owner who loves to push for emotional trades & signings. He's smart enough to know that less is more with Lebron, and he knows that if he puts players around that make Lebron better (spacing with shooters) the team will achieve greater heights than trying to micromanage and implement a complex system.

If the Rockets needed a coach this off-season and either guy were available I'd love to have either one, but I have more confidence in the Miami infrastructure to win a championship with equal talent.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Both are mediocre coaches getting to coach the best player in the league.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Blatts Euro career is pretty impressive. So I got to go with Blatt, but it doesn't look like they run any offense. It seems like the old cavs offense: give the ball to Lebron and hope it works out.

17. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

thats one game, relax... how often doesn lebron shoot 35 times or even 30+ times. And they will steamroll hawks and raptors

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Damn you Michael Jordan.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Cavs have about 11 new players and an entirely new coaching staff... people need to give them more than a half season before being able to declare things (and this is right after they've seemingly turned it around and won 18 out of 20).

Blatt has more skins on the wall than Spoelstra did when he started... but we won't know the real answer to this question till some time next year or the year after.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

In terms of Xs and Os, I think Blatt is better. However in terms of EQ and the ability to handle strong personalities, then I think coach Spo is better. Although technically Blatt is a rookie coach, he has been coaching in Europe for a long time and developed a reputation for being a great tactician. The problem is the Cavs aren't built like the Spurs who play like a team, they are built like the Shaq-Kobe Lakers who have a lot of Alpha personalities, esp. with Lebron on the squad.

You see the cool thing with Spo is although he was a rookie coach he was able to gain the respect of Dwade and LBJ so the two of them were on the same page and basically followed the game plan. In this case I think LBJ doesn't respect Blatt and just pushes him around (sometimes literally LOL).

It's like comparing Adelman with Phil Jackson, with Adelman he can bring the best out of a roster but if he has strong personalities he can just let them do whatever they want. In the case of Jackson, nobody knows if he's really good at coaching but he's amazing at getting superstars on the same page. TLDR: I go with Spo, because although Blatt is gifted in X and Os you have 100s of coaching lifers you can hire as assistant coaches with the same technical knowledge and they can give you around 80% of what Blatt does. But Spo's ability to get respect from players is unique, not everyone can bring guys together like that.