1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bargnani gets extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by coldsweat, Jul 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

overpaid as of now, but i believe he could make the leap to deserving that money either this year or next year.

in toronto, they have to either believe it or not. There's no halfway position, cause if they don't extend him, he's gone. Considering their position and their rare FA acquisitions, I think it was a good move

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

my thoughts = :eek:

4. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

typical good rookie extension. he'll earn it.

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Bargnani has some glaring weaknesses but I love his skill set and potential. I know a lot of people aren't very high on him but I would've liked to have him in Houston, esp. if we are entering a rebuilding mode.

7. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

He averaged 20/7 starting 40 games last year. Later on in the season, his rebounding spiked up.

Decent deal considering that he is a legit 7' footer with an offensive game.

8. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Definitely agree. O'neal became expendable because of Bargnani's improved offense and defense. He's had a breakthrough year, and 50 mil/5 years sounds solid, expecially for a (rare) big position. Now, if the Rockets can pry Toronto's other big, I'd be a happy camper :cool:

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I understand what you guys are saying, but I really feel like he could have been had for MUCH less than $10 million/yr.

10. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I'm a big fan of his, he's probably my second favourite player after Yao, I know there are many doubters out there, but this guy might be great. As Noob Cake pointed out he's shown some signs of turning the corner into something special. His biggest weakness will remain to be his rebounding skills, also defensively I doubt he'll ever be great, but offensively he can become a threat like few others.

I think paying a big man 10 million who has shown he can get 20pts 6rebs isn't all too bad, especially considering what some other players are making, hell David Lee according to the New York Times is asking for 12mil :eek: .

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

In general, big men get major contracts because they rebound well, play post defense/post offense, and score at a really high fg%.

For what he contributes to his team it's hard to even consider Bargnani a "big man". He's basically Hedo Turkoglu without the playmaking...which means he's not a $10M player.

12. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

A 7 footer who can shoot from outside, put on the floor, and defend? There are not many of those in the NBA.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Pricey but could be worth the money in a year or two. He's certainly not Dirk but he made some big strides this past year. It should be interesting to see where he maxes out at.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Doesnt look like a "down economy" type deal to me. Or maybe in a good one he'da actually gotten more, which woulda been a rip. So maybe this contract is about right.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This makes a lot more sense than giving David Lee $10-12 million per year.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Agreed. I don't see what the fuss is about. It's nice that he can hit a three pointer but so could Luther Head.

17. worzel gummidge

The MLE is around $6M and the max for a player with less than 7yrs in the NBA is around $14M.

Bargnani's deal works out to be around $8M in the first year. Any less and the Raptors would have to be thinking he was a bust for a no.1 overall pick.

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

You know, I completely forgot that Bargs was a number one pick. Then I went back to look at the draft class. Wow, what a ****ty draft class for the most part.

19. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

Wow did u guys even watch him this season? Dude was droppin 20 pts night in and night out..he deserves the extension..

20. Raven

Raven Member

This is why not offering Gortat the full MLE was a blunder. You just don't pass up the chance to sign a quality big for such a reduced price, because they are typically overpaid.