1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yep

Only highly developed country not to have universal healthcare with tens of millions uninsured, our children pay the most on average for advanced eeducation in the world, one of the highest student debts per capita in the world, one of the few countries in the world to not have maternity leave, our life expectancy which is one of the lowest amongst developed countries declined 3 years in a row which is unheard of, we have the highest poverty rate amongst the OCED countries, highest child poverty rate as well, one of the highest infant mortality rate, on of the highest maternal mortality rate, one of the highest murder rates amongst developed countries, highest incarceration rate in the world.

These problems aren't exactly new either, these problems have been clear for decades. But certainly, our current governance over COVID has been in particularly unfathomably horrible. The anti-science stance of this country is frightening, climate change is fake news, clean coal is a thing, cutting environmental regulations is good for us, COVID is a hoax, and authoritarianism is rad according to the current ruling party.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two Republican Governors who's lack of response have allowed their states to become 4th in the world for new daily cases and 5th in the world for daily deaths.

If you combine Texas and Florida you have 22,529 cases daily, placing them 4th in the world behind USA, Brazil, and India. South Africa is 5th with over 10,000 less cases a day. Our combined daily deaths of 274 are 5th in the world behind Brazil, USA, India and Mexico. South Africa is 6th with over a hundred less daily deaths.

The stubborn refusal to follow suggested guidelines, opening up too soon, and dangling off their puppet master's strings is reckless and dangerous to our people. A day late and a dollar short impromptu responses might get them brownie Trump's with Trump, but when you get to a point you are ordering refrigerated makeshift morgues and running low on nurses that light bulb should be flashing red inside your head. More blood on their hands and more body bags on the horizon. Depressing and frustrating beyond belief.

Meanwhile, Trump doesn't mention we have a serious problem here in stopping the spread, and his puppets dangle off his strings as puppets do, with no brain or heart to make their own decisions

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says "there is no shutdown coming" as coronavirus cases surge
    https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/16/texas-shutdown-greg-abbott/

Florida Sets Coronavirus Death Record, Hours After Gov. DeSantis Said State Had ‘Stabilized’
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/nichol...after-gov-desantis-said-state-had-stabilized/

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JJ Watt weighs in with concerns on the NFL.

5. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/64-...pproval-declines-cases-grow/story?id=71779279

64% distrust Trump on coronavirus pandemic; approval declines as cases grow: POLL
    Six in 10 in a new ABC/Post poll disapprove of how he’s handling COVID.

More at the link

DVauthrin and TheFreak like this.
  6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Sweden was a huge success, actually. Far lower deaths/capita than Belgium, which is probably the best comparison country in Europe. Kids stayed in school, restaurants/bars stayed largely open, a very limited lockdown. They didn't overwhelm hospitals, either.

Contrast that to New York, where they failed miserably. 3 times the number of deaths per capita as Sweden. Hint - the key is not a lockdown, it's protecting the vulnerable. NY totally failed in this respect by Cuomo letting this get into nursing homes. Total failure.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I see you are not feeling it yet and are still on ur bullshi*t.

Belgium is not the best country to compare to Sweden, it boarders France and is a relatively short drive from Paris, how about comparing Sweden to it’s incredibly similar neighbors? Sweden’s death rate in comparison to Norway and Finland is significantly higher death rate.

Sweden and America are not success stories regarding Covid, unfortunately I fear you will know this soon enough if Abbott sticks by his word of no lockdown to come. Your anti science, anti math politics will go straight in the garbage once this starts hitting close to home, which is something a lot of us Texans will be experiencing this fall and winter.

8. bigtexxx

Your bias is clear for all to see. You don't dare criticize NY, which is one of the worst failures in the world regarding covid. NY has over 12 TIMES as many deaths per capita as Texas. Yet you continue harping on Abbott, who has one of the LOWEST deaths/capita among all US states.

...and case counts are an absurd metric, since testing is increasing so much. You probably also noticed that San Antonio was just caught inflating their covid cases by almost 3,500? They were counting "probable" cases, not confirmed cases.

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

10. NewRoxFan

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Again, why do you keep going back to NY? Who is bringing up NY? As far as I'm aware, its the failure as a country as a whole that people are complaining about.

Are you related to Abbott?

You are not the one to bring up other people's biases. You are your own echo chamber. Youre literally locked in a box yelling outside of it until someone hears you. And the box keeps getting smaller and smaller as each of the "points" you bring keeps becoming invalidated i.e. death rates are low.

DVauthrin, deb4rockets and BmwM3 like this.
  12. bigtexxx

The hypocrisy is out of control. Ya'll are clowning Abbott, who has done one of the absolute best jobs as judged by a factual metric - deaths per capita.

Canada is held up as some kind of success story, yet they have 230 deaths/million people, yet Texas is at 130.

13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Coming from a man who brags about deaths not rising, I'll take your posts as simply worthless.

Screenshot_20200717-104208.png

DVauthrin, BmwM3 and RayRay10 like this.
  14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This is the problem with the people like you who use mortality rate as the end-all be-all when it comes to judging leadership on this. You're completely neglecting the fact that there are MASSIVE shades of gray when it comes to Covid cases. It's not "you're either 100% fine or 100% dead". And here's the crazy thing....right now, at a 1% mortality rate, that would be over 3,000,000 dead. On what planet is that an acceptable number of deceased for a nation that claims to be on top of the world in regards to health care?? And more than that: for every one that's dead, it would mean 19 more need hospitalization. 18 of those 19 will be facing some sort of permanent damage to their heart or lungs. 2 to 3 of those would be facing permanent neurological damage. So all of a sudden, it's not just 3,000,000 dead. It's 62,000,000 that are hospitalized with a significant portion of those people facing long-term consequences all because our leadership decided to sit on their hands. Deaths alone do not tell the whole story. But it doesn't matter....something tells me you're either going to gloss over this post, or manipulate the data to still fit your narrative. I don't care either way. Just wear a ****ing mask when you go out.

#2354 Fyreball, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    DVauthrin and deb4rockets like this.
  15. marky :)

marky :) Member

I don't know why you guys keep replying to bigtexx. He's purposely trolling by skewing the narrative on actual data points and presenting his own story.

His premise is basically "hey look, 130 < 230 that proves I'm right". As someone who says he graduated from Rice, that's a sad attempt at putting a story to actual data points.

16. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Those probable cases are almost certainly positive cases. The definition Bexar county used for probable cases is "symptomatic cases that have a positive antigen (FIA) test result".

The only FDA approved antigen testing (sofia 2) has 100% specificity and 80% sensitivity. So positive cases are almost certainly positives while 20% of negatives can be a false negative.

Taking symptomatic, antigen positive cases off as confirmed cases feels like a ploy to decrease case count to me.

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Good point. I don't know why I bother myself. Just like Trump and Abbott, he refuses to acknowledge the huge mistakes that have been made which have allowed this virus to kill far too many Americans.

I can't help but wonder if any of them give a damn about anyone but themselves.

marky :) and RayRay10 like this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

NYC is the largest, densest, and most international metro in America and get hit early on.....

....where was the preparation in other states after watching that?

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I hate when people decide to speak on the behalf of others. "We want to play" is not something I want to hear from him. "I want to play" is fine. "A lot of us want to play" is fine.

deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  20. bigtexxx

Where was the prep in NYC after watching dense cities in Asia?