1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the contracts of Brew/Ariza/ Bev really sweet deals now ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jul 3, 2016.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I've heard a lot of talk about that since the crazy money being thrown around is setting new standards, players like brew / bev / and Ariza are good assets now . My question is simply .. Aren't all the contracts signed before this year good deals now ? If you apply the same logic then it would stand to reason that they are .

Now I understand that these guys are all signed for around 8 mil , which actually wasn't bad last year . I don't know how much more valuable they are now though .

As players , their value is definitely down from last season . Ariza and bev are still solid players and shouldn't be given away unless it's for a distinct purpose . Brewer just played so bad last season I can't seem a team taking him on unless it's to dump salary on us or we throw in an asset .

My understanding is that teams under the cap can trade players as they please . Do salary matching considerations apply ?

I think most of clutchfans has talked about these players in trades and I just want to form a productive discourse about their value both contract and player wise .

Are we one of the few teams that have players with contracts like these ? How sweet are these deals to other teams? What can we reasonably get for them ?

2. chandlerbang21

They are highly tradeable

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

def teams should be jumping all over that. i dunno why he had to overpay 2 injury proners. the only thing i can think of is cuz of their horrid playoffs. but plenty of others had bad playoffs and still got paid so if they can hurry the **** up and give morey a call that would be swell

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Not for Brewer, because he can't play basketball.

But yes, apart from that.

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

While it's true other teams have contracts of similar value, all contracts signed before this summer are instantly more valuable. The ones that extend the longest have the highest value all things being equal. In three years a deal for someone like Ariza looks like Curry on his current contract.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish we would have signed more guys on deals like this last year.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Brewer, Ariza and Bev are really sweet deals right now, even Brewer who was pretty much treated like nuclear waste last year should be extremely movable, just look at the threads being made in the dish the going rate for free agents are now 12.5M minimum, so a guy making 7M isn't so bad for 15 mins a night. Ariza and Bev in particular should be extremely sought after considering you're getting a starter quality player for 7M, in fact apart from guys on rookie and superstar deals I don't think you find a player who gives you as much value as Ariza right now, 3 and D player who can drive it in and dunk for only 7M? Comparable guy is Kent Bazemore making 17M a year...and that's at a discount since reportedly Lakers and Rox offered him 18M. Bazemore is definitely younger than Ariza and is probably better but is he more than 2x better? LOL!

I'm just not sure what you can get for these three guys though because:
    1. Rookie deals and picks probably became even more valuable now, I mean if a bench dude is gonna cost me 10M once his rookie deal expires then I'd rather fill my bench roles with 1st and 2nd round picks.
    2. Most teams are throwing out money like candy on the streets. The impact from their ridiculous spending should only be evident by midseason when these teams realize paying players significantly more doesn't result in a corresponding increase in their ability.

If ever the Rox are gonna move these guys the best time would probably be at the trade deadline, but to be honest why trade these guys now just keep them to add depth to your squad at a discount so you can afford to pay other guys. Since we failed at attracting a superstar and we don't really have high picks the only way to maximize value is sign guys like Bev or 3Za to undervalued deals and increase the team talent that way.

8. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Hopefully with a direction on offense, Brewer can be relevant again.

9. StrawberryJamm

Beverly, Ariza, and McDaniels are on good deals. Brewer should pay to play.

10. izeroi

izeroi Member

Agreed. Really hoping we can find a team dumb enough to trade him to.

11. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Many teams don't want to hit a salary cap floor tax penalty... So I don't know how that works.. Remember there's a whole lot more money coming in from network deals.. Owners are required to pay a fair share or close to it.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If a team doesn't hit the floor then the difference is spread evenly amongst their players I believe. It's not a penalty. The rush to meet the floor is just logic of it will be spent anyway might as well try and get another player option.

At some point that'll stop and you'll just have teams near the floor with more cap space than most next year.

Ariza, etc becomes valuable to the extent they are actually good players. They're not now overpaid and a team can use them then yeah they'll net you something.

But OP is right. It's not just the rockets with these players.

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The only direction I want Brewer going is off the team.

14. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

great deals, but none of them help us win. screw everything

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man, when did being a Rockets fan become about tradeable assets and not about wins and losses?

DD

16. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Myopic

17. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Is this the last year on Ariza's deal?

18. Olajuwon34

Olajuwon34 Member

Brewer sucks. They got to find a way to move him.

19. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

IIRC we were hard capped last year, so we couldn't really have signed anyone else.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

When players started sucking and our only hope is to make them tradeable assets to get more wins than losses..