1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Astros going to the world series?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Air Langhi, Sep 30, 2020.

?

Are we getting to ws?

1. Yes

60 vote(s)
    60.6%
  2. NO

39 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We go to the world series if:

1) The offense continues its 6+ runs/ game average so far in the playoffs
    2) If the pitching can limit the bad innings to 2-3 runs, and avoid those catastrophic 5-6 run innings.

With the offense working, and getting better as the post season goes on it seems, it gives us the cushion needed when somebody on the pitching staff has a bad evening.

Like today, neither Greinke or Pressly was good, but all the others were and the offense was there, so it worked.

In my estimation, the offense is going to have to be there almost every night. I can foresee one game where the pitching holds the opponent to 3 runs or less. But I am betting we give up 4+ on a nightly basis the rest of the way with a 7 and/or 8 in there somewhere.

desihooper likes this.
  2. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

The Yankees having to burn Gerrit Cole tomorrow
    is HUGE! With the series starting Sunday, we likely wouldn’t have to see him until Game 3 and even that would be on short rest.

Rays are making what appears to be a very foolish decision to start Glasnow on 2 days rest. if the Rays win, we definitely won’t see him until Game 3 or 4.

That coupled with a neutral site and no fans...yes, we are going back to the World Series in Texas.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't think so last week but I'm feeling pretty good about our chances now. A friend of mine, who isn't a Stros fan, described what he saw this past series as methodical. The nature of baseball means that the highs and the lows will even out but a team that is methodical particularly answering runs made by the opponent is dangerous. It shows that they are focused and confident.

Obviously we're going to a different stadium playing a different team and I don't know if we can count on balls flying out of the park but with the Twins the Stros showed they can win without putting up truckloads of runs. Also the Stros showed in this series they can get runs by just getting hits. The pitching is still questionable but it appears good enough to keep the Stros ahead.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I really hope they win it all. Take down the Yankees and then mow down the Dodgers. I hate the holier than thou treatment they've gotten from everyone as if other MLB teams haven't at one time or another tried to gain some kind of competitive advantage.

Pringles likes this.
  5. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Realistically, we dont have the pitching to carry us. Unfortunate that we don't have Verlander to prop us up. But I remember 14 year old me, watching the tv as Rudy T delivered his Dont Ever Underestimate the Heart of a Champion speech. I can't count these Astros out. So whatever happens from here, It's been a hell of a ride.

Pringles likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yep, the Yankees/Rays going to 5 games is huge. I don’t think the Astros match up all that well with the Yankees but them not having Cole available until game 4 is gigantic.

Obviously right now Houstons offense has come alive and their bullpen is extremely shallow. A big factor will be the starting pitchers going deep enough to allow Baker to limit high leverage innings to Pressly, Paredes, Javier, and Taylor. Putting James, Scrubb, Garcia, Raley, or Sneed in a meaningful inning is a forfeit at this point.

7. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Count me in the camp of wanting to see NYY lose. I think TB is probably the better overall team, but I don’t care. I want NYY to lose every game, every time, don’t care to whom or when. Same with LAD. Screw those guys. I at least respect the hell out of TB. They don’t spend their way to a title. They outsmart and outplay. A model franchise.

desihooper, SWTsig, arkoe and 3 others like this.
  8. conquistador#11

50/50 chance. I'll take it.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If the 2006 Cardinals team won it all with subpar pitching we can too. :)

10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Couldn't agree more with this.

The "F You" factor is so much greater if you beat the Yankees in the ALCS compared to the Rays, but I absolutely loathe the Yankees and would love for them to get knocked out a round before us. I think the Rays are going to be the tougher team to beat because of their pitching, but I respect the Rays so much more than I will ever respect the Yankees. If the Rays were to beat us that would suck but I'd have no problem rooting for the Rays to win it all. If the Yankees were to beat us, that in itself would be torture, and then you'd be guaranteed (assuming the Dodgers get to the WS) either the Dodgers or Yankees are going to be crowned WS champs. Easily my two least favorite franchises in baseball so that would be absolutely awful to have to listen to national media salivate over both those teams.

desihooper and arkoe like this.
  11. Screaming Fist

I don't think it's foolish at all to have Glasnow throw an inning or two on his bullpen day, and I hope it works out because I would much rather face the Rays pitching than have our staff exposed to the Yankees.

Nick_713, SWTsig and conquistador#11 like this.
  12. Screaming Fist

If I were the Yankees I would try pitching Cole in game three (assuming he felt good that day) so he could start a potential game seven or even relieve in game six if necessary.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

that would mean you're putting cole out in 2 games where hes not fully rested in either. I think itll probably depend on how the series plays out the first 2 games. Like if NY is down 0-2, they'll probably start Cole to avoid their chances of 0-3. Less likely if its 1-1 or better for NY

#93 YOLO, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  14. conquistador#11

It's basically choose your poison with all these teams left but this is exactly how I feel.

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

your comments look incredibly stupid right now.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the Astros play the Yankees, the Yankees weakening their best weapon on short rest twice or even three times would be great for the Astros.

YOLO likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wouldn't be surprised if the Braves beat the Dodgers... Braves doing everything thus far in the playoffs, pitching/hitting/fielding.

RustyHarden and steddinotayto like this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, really does expose how the "normal" format helps in that regard.

Cole still has never pitched on short rest, correct? Will see how he does today. Like I said earlier, I'd expect 3 days rest to start becoming the norm in this post-season and possibly dispel the true severity of it.

19. Screaming Fist

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

also depends how many pitches they threw in their previous outing. 6 innings with 97 pitches thrown on Monday. I believe short rest is real and fatigue/control definitely set in much earlier than they'd like especially with a guy with Cole's velocity