1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ANZAC DAY

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Downtown Sniper, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Anzac Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand that commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations.

Originally - 25 April every year was to honour the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in World War I.

Today is a big day for the Australian Defence Force.

I'll be attending one of the Dawn Services at 4:30am and also participating in a March with my fellow School of Infantry brethren.

'Before dawn the gathered veterans would be ordered to "stand-to" and two minutes of silence would follow. At the start of this time a lone bugler would play the Last Post and then concluded the service with Reveille'

I will be Marching and raising a glass for my fallen mate who I went through Basic and Infantry training with in 2006 - Private Benjamin Ranaudo.

Benny was killed while serving in Afghanistan as a member of the Mentoring and Reconstruction Task Force on the 18th of July 2009 - when one of his squad members stepped on a pressure plate for an anti-personnel mine 10 feet away.

LEST WE FORGET

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I salute

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I always toy with the idea of someday moving to New Zealand. It seems so nice, and has slightly fewer insects/animals that can kill you than Australia.

4. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Hope you like cold weather.

5. davo

davo Contributing Member

Have a good ANZAC day Sniper. We will be having our own ceremony with my kids here in the USA to make sure they, at least for a few short minutes, can think about how lucky they are, and hopefully never forget.

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

It barely ever drops below freezing in Auckland.

7. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Respect. When in Turkey, I visited the Battle of Gallipoli site. Australia and New Zealand lost a lot of good men there (as did other allied countries and Turkey). WWI trench warfare was brutal. Very somber experience.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I saw the parade on St. George street in Sydney this morning.

9. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

Has now become the most important day in Australia without a doubt. Always very emotional and celebrated/commemorated in the right fashion.

Lest We Forget

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Just wanted to show my respect for the Australians. They have supplied troops to every single war the US has fought in over the past 150 years. A great ally.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One of our closest allies, thank goodness. Australia's fighting men and women take a backseat to no one. Never forget!