1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An Entertaining Film Breakdown on Marcus Thornton

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chuck_Ferrari, Jul 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

2. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

I like what he brings to the table. We've needed more shooters on this team for awhile. Will be nice to have another player who can hit 3's off the dribble (Bev, Ariza, and Brewer struggle with those)

3. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

MT will stuff a three in your face while you stand there wondering if he'll really do it.
    Dude is cold blooded.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

MT being able to score in short stretches should really help the Rox during lulls of the game. With Harden & Lawson passing, MT will feast on open 3's.

5. OpenLayup-Why3?

Remember when Ariza was supposed to be this 40%+ shooter when he came to Houston? Well, he was here too, just not from the 3.

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

He shot well whenever he didn't play too many minutes. Started off the season on fire when he had fresh legs but lagged for a couple months when he was getting 36+ minutes every other night. Brewer coming in helped out a little but McHale was still playing Ariza too much.

1 person likes this.
  7. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

Ariza shot well when it counted though. He was money in the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  8. beardnation

beardnation Member

hopefully thornton can be our morrow. Whenever I saw the Thunder last season, morrow seemed to light up instantly from the bench.

9. Voltik

Voltik Member

Playing with Harden, Lawson, DMo, and Howard should provide Thornton better looks than he has with any other team so far. Hence, I would like to see him become more consistent with the 3 pointer, averaging around 40% for next season. Same goes for Terry.

Thornton should help our half court game where we have seen many droughts during last season and playoffs. Brewer on the other hand brings the fast paced style. I'm looking forward to a bench lineup of Lawson, Thorton, Brewer, Jones, and Capela. This would be a good mix of hustle, half court game, run and gun, and also decent defense.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

Nice find. I think Thornton will do well here if he gets enough minutes. He'll help keep Harden rested and provide a nice punch off the bench.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I would be he has as much impact on offense as Brewer did. Maybe more. He's a really sharp half-court player.

12. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I think having Lawson and harden will improve arizas three point percentage. I think beal and wall were the reasons it was so good in Washington

13. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

thornton will be very off or very on. i just hope mchale can identify within 10 mins of playing time which thornton showed up. if thornton is off, we can't afford to let him play 20+ mins and kill continuity on offense.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I understand what you are saying, but he needs minutes to get his rhythm going. I can see him getting 15-20 minutes at times, and 10 minutes at others.

15. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

He's like a less weird JR Smith.

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Marcus is a very streaky shooter, but he can also take the ball to the hoop. McHale needs to stress to him that if his shot isn't falling to drive. I think this signing was under the radar, but one we'll all be loving as the season goes on. Marcus is the kind of bench shooter/scorer that we didn't have last year.

17. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

If we had Thornton this year we go 6 or 7 games with the Warriors at the least

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Right now he's a situational player and insurance against injuries in the backcourt. There's just not a lot of room in the rotation.

That said, Lawson and Bev are very likely to miss some games this season. So MT's a luxury that we're likely going to have to take advantage of at some point.