1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amnesty International: Afghanistan: Protect 10-year Old Rape Survivor from "Honor Killing"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 28, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Brishna, a 10-year old girl from Kunduz province in Afghanistan, was raped by a local mullah in May 2014. While she was recovering in the hospital, her family and community members threatened to kill her and “dump her in the river.”

Months ago, police removed Brishna from the Women for Afghan Women’s shelter and returned her to her family, where she is at grave risk of an “honor killing.” The director of Women for Afghan Women, Dr. Hassina Sarwari, has also been threatened by the girl’s family and powerful members of her community for protecting Brishna. She too fears for her life.

Discrimination against women is endemic in Afghanistan, and authorities routinely fail to protect survivors and human rights defenders or to ensure judicial due process. Join us in calling for full protection for Brishna and Dr. Sarwari, effective investigation and prosecution of the perpetrators, and criminalization of “honor” killings.

-----------

You can sign Amnesty International's letter here:

http://act.amnestyusa.org/ea-action...ts-SexualandReproductiveRights~MessagingCateg

2. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Over 50 years of continuous war will make you an animal. There are stories like this all over Afghanistan, so always a good cause to stop this inhumanity. Though criminalizing honor killings is not the way to go, teach them humanity and respect for life first. If all the money for war was spent on making lives better for people the majority would shun extremist behaviour themselves.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

LOL, apparently my post went over your head and all you got was these 8 words together.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So why isn't criminalizing honor killings the way to go?

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How can anyone ever take anything seriously again that this guy will ever write.

Time to stop posting.

Seriously.

7. Nook

Nook Member

So first you blame the behavior on war, and not on the participants.

Then you claim that criminalizing murder isn't the way to stop murder. Instead teach people that murder is wrong...

Ahhh the old "if all the money was spent on X instead of war" line.

Last you then passively blame the extremists and by proxy the murderous behavior on.... People thousands of miles away.

Great logic.

8. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I'm sorry I don't have a black and white answer for you. There were two reasons for what I wrote with regards to that line about honor killings. 1) There is no real rule of law in Afghanistan (Tibal leaders have more of a say than the Afghan government, in most places) 2) These Afghan people are not going to accept something imposed by "outsiders", if anything it could get more entrenched.

Lastly, love how you equate my post on "people thousands of miles away". Never really said anything about a specific group of people. War in general dehumanizes people.

I don't enjoy posting in the D&D anyway, so I might as well take your advise.

9. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Look, if your criminalize honor killings you're just creating a black market. :(

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

ChrisBosh: "Though criminalizing honor killings is not the way to go"

If political signatures were allowed...this would be it.

Just about the most ridiculous thing anyone has ever posted here.

11. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

It accomplishes nothing you dumbass in a country where there is no law and order.

12. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I do concede its a poorly worded sentence without any context. Should have explicitly stated that it will not solve the problem for some of the slower people in here.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I think you start establishing law and order by first going after the people who are doing these honor killings!

You know, establish WHO the criminals are! You can teach them manners later!

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

The people who have the power in most places are not government officials who uphold law and order.....its old dirty men.

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Then it's time to start "Honor Killing" these old dirty men!!!