1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amazon.com - FREE SHIPPING ... my @ss

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MoonBus, Jun 21, 2001.

Tags:
  1. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Amazon.com boasted their latest deal on their front page with "NOW, FREE SHIPPING when you buy 2 or more items."

You are thinking "Wow, what a great deal!", right? Well, it's not. Those bastards at Amazon raised the price-tag for every item (I believe) that qualifies for the "Free Shipping" incentive.

I was going to purchase a few CDs from them yesterday but I thought about getting some books too, so I delayed the order until today. When I checked out the prices for the CDs that I had chosen yesterday, that's when I realize that they had raise the price of each CD by ~$1 each. When I check out the prices for the books (I had written down the price previously), now it cost ~$4 more than before.

Clicking on their Click for details in regard to their "FREE SHIPPING" promotion brought up this interesting answer to their own question "Why Are We Trying This?" : At Amazon.com, we're always working to make your shopping experience as simple as possible. It's our hope that this offer will accomplish that by eliminating your need to do the math for shipping costs. For ualifying orders, the price you see is the price you get--you'll no longer need to factor in shipping charges at the end of your order.

Ok, you want to make it easier for people to calculate their final cost by moving the shipping cost to the price-tag, I don't have a big problem (I do have a small problem with that, see below) with that. But don't mislead me by saying "NOW, FREE SHIPPING".

The problem I have with this new way of charging customer for shipping is the fact that each book carries an extra ~$4 price tag (at least from the 3 books that I checked out). That is ~$12 for shipping. The way I remember it, the more books I order, the cheaper the shipping becomes per book.

I have never had any problems with Amazon before. This misleading advertisement just irks me, because most customers will interpret that as no shipping charge and that they are now saving you even more money.

Has anyone check out http://cheap-cds.com ? Their prices are cheap, but they kill you with their shipping ($0.99) & Handling ($1.43), that's per CD.

------------------
    15 years later... Zoom

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Man, if what you are saying is true, then screw the hell out of Amazon.

I don't see how they can pull that off....a $4 mark-up per book? So, if I buy 5 books, I'm paying $20 to ship them?

And, their calling that free shipping?

Those bastards! They killed Kenny! Let me get my sh#t counter going here

2 sh#t
    3 sh#t
    sh#t
    sh#t
    6 sh#t

It costs me twenty bucks just to say sh#t(7) while I'm logged into Amazon. Motherf#@ker!

That was a take from the newest South Park where they said sh#t(8) like 200 times on TV while keeping a running counter on the screen. I'm surprised it was allowed.

Surf

------------------

3. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I have had nothing but horrible experiences when purchasing stuff over the internet (with the exception of airline tickets). I placed an order with Tigerdirect.com recently for a motherboard, processor, and memory. First they over-charged me for 2 boards. Then the board I actually used for my new system was ****, so I had to return that as well and get a new one. They made me go through the manufacturer to determine that the motherboard was faulty, then I had to ship it back.....whatever, whatever, whatever... 3 weeks later I finally get my replacement motherboard. Im a little cautious now when I buy stuff over the net now.

------------------
    I stole your money and I did your daughter at Texas A&M University

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I've heard lots of horror stories about TigerDirect. They aren't a company I would make a habit of buying from (though I have bought a hard drive and memory from them in the recent past and had no problems. But I ordered before hearing the horror stories).

------------------

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

TigerDirect is a horrible company to deal with from everyone I've talked to. I don't care how cheap they advertise anything, I'm not buying anything from them.

------------------
    "I had mine chewed off by a boss one time." -- Behad leaves us wondering if he gets hazard pay...

6. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Damn I wish I knew that before I bought all of that stuff from them.....

Next time I guess I will just deal with all of the incompetent 16 year old morons who work at Comp USA....

------------------
    I stole your money and I did your daughter at Texas A&M University

7. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I just made my first purchase on Amazon a few days ago. I would've bought it somewhere else, but I couldn't find anyone else who had Jerry Clower CDs (they're for my father, not me THANK GOD) for the same price. Also, I used one of those $10 off coupons for $50 or more.

Usually, I buy from bn.com, but I've started looking around to other places because bn is slow. I had been boycotting Amazon.com for their "1-click patent", but they haven't done much with it yet.

------------------
    CC.net's most courteous driver

Oh yeah, and I'm looking for a job right now, so hire me please :)

8. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Awwwwwww...I thought from the title that MoonBus was auctioning his a$$ on Amazon.com, and the shipping was free.

This could have been really funny.

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

9. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Drewdog: Don't let that place discourage you. My wife and I have bought lots of stuff over the net at a wide variety of places and have had few, if any, problems.

I've found that the same problems that apply to typical mail order can apply to the net, but I tend to find better prices through those mediums than I do through standard retail.

In addition, I can't always find what I want locally. Sometimes it can be difficult to find music, Mac software and components, music equipment, books, etc. here that are readily available online. [​IMG]

------------------
    Things do not change; we change. - Henry David Thoreau

11. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

<a href="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20010706/tc/amazon_stops_shipping_goods_for_free_1.html">Amazon Stops Free Shipping</a>

For now at least.

------------------
    CC.net's most courteous driver

Oh yeah, and I'm looking for a job right now, so hire me please :)