1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alexander, Yao express condolences to China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abc2007, May 14, 2008.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Alexander_Yao_express_condole-271406-34.html

Alexander, Yao express condolences to China
    Rockets plan to offer aide to country following earthquake

Donate Now to the Red Cross

HOUSTON -- Rockets center Yao Ming and owner Leslie Alexander offered their condolences to China for the thousands of deaths stemming from a powerful earthquake that struck the country on Monday.

Officials have estimated that 15,000 people have died from the 7.9-magnitude quake and government workers are still searching for survivors.

Yao, who was born in Shanghai and will represent China in the 2008 Summer Olympics, said he was saddened to see the aftermath of the quake.

"It is very hard putting into words how difficult it is to see this kind of destruction in Sichuan," Yao said. "I am very saddened to hear of the large loss of life that has occurred. My thoughts are with everyone back in my home country of China during this very dark and emotional time. Right now, the most important thing we can do is to respond quickly to help those who cannot help themselves. I plan to do whatever I can and would like to thank Leslie Alexander and the Houston Rockets for the support they have already pledged. I hope that many others around the world will join us."

Alexander said the Rockets would offer financial support to relief aid agencies in China.

"On behalf of the Houston Rockets, I want to offer my deepest sympathies to all who have been affected by the earthquake in Sichuan, China on Monday," Alexander said. "Over the past several years, we have formed a strong bond with our friends in China and it is very difficult to see them struggling through this tragic event. We have already begun the process of reaching out to relief aid agencies and have pledged our financial support to assisting those who have been devastated by this catastrophic event. I know Yao Ming is fully committed to helping the people of China recover from this horrific experience and I will help him in any way I can."

Rockets fans can assist with the recovery in China by sending donations to the Red Cross. Donations are being accepted online at http://www.redcross.org/news/in/profiles/Intl_profile_ChinaEarthquake.html.

2. zazahan

zazahan Contributing Member

3. ydqkang

ydqkang Member

Donate what you can