1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

al sharpton on CNBC now,the injustice of more blacks in prison today than were slaves

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by eddiewinslow, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Then you just really suck at recalling facts and formulating subsequent opinions. But you did get to call a bunch of black politicians morons; so mission accomplished, I guess.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If you want correct something I typed go ahead.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

CometsWin is defending criminals, just because they're black?

4. Major

Major Member

No, you seem to want to believe otherwise, but the data shows that it's directly tied to race. Poor whites get less jail time than poor blacks too. And we're looking at people that are caught, so it has nothing to do with white people getting caught less. Same crime, same circumstances. If you're white, you'll statistically get less jail time. There's plenty of research on this subject.

5. Major

Major Member

The CBC can't pass anything. They are a minority in Congress, and I assume were even more so back in the 1980's.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

White?

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

you're trolling so hard

but failing

8. CometsWin

Say what?

9. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Here is where those statistics are flawed, they don't take into account past criminal history .

Defendant A and defendant B both get caught with an equal amount of controlled substance,but there is no way you can compare the sentence they receive without breaking down their past criminal records . First offense may get you a bit of probation ,while a checkered past could land you a lengthy sentence for the same crime.

10. Bandwagoner

common parlance

11. Major

Major Member

If the court has access to this information to determine it's sentence, what makes you think researchers don't?

12. Major

Major Member

Common parlance for what? You blamed only a small minority of black politicians for something that passed with majority support in the House and Senate and a GOP President. And you wonder why pouhe mocked you for attacking black politicians?

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You seem like you are well educated in political science.

14. Bandwagoner

The discussion was specifically about a black politician complaining about the disproportionate number of african americans in prison. The black caucus specifically strives to "positively influencing the course of events pertinent to African-Americans and others of similar experience and situation".

I would say my comment was on topic and valid. They massively f'ed that one up.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Irrelevant stat because people go to prison for selling cocaine, not for using cocaine.

16. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Because it would take a tremendous amount of work to research and then only match up criminals with the exact past history into a separate category for each type of criminal background . I have never seen this attempted but I'm open to any type of study you can provide that has attempted this.

17. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

emancipate yourself from mental slavery.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Newsletter... do you have one?

19. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Regardless of how whites are treated in court.....the blacks that are in jail bc they're guilty. Should there be more whites in there? Sure but courts also take into account past criminal history when making a sentence so whose to say those whites have the same criminal history as the blacks?

The bottom line is they're in jail bc they're guilty, are a lot of other criminals free bc they're white? Sure, but I know the ones in jail committed a crime...well most of them there's always errors.

Blacks just love the race card....comparing it to slavery is silly on sharpton's part. He compared the number of blacks in jail to 1970 and the number is up 500%....but he failed to mention the percentage growth of the black population in that time frame. The left always forgets stats. I'll be the first to say blacks are profiled, I grew up in southside place, am expensive neighborhood inside west university. We had our own city and I got a speeding ticket once and everyone in the courthouse when i went was black no joke like 15 black people and me, my dad said he thought they gave a ticket to every black person so they'd know not to come back to the nice area....this was like 2002.

Racial profiling is horrible, Im not for it, but what are we supposed to do? I have plenty of black friends but I was walking outside the commerce towers where i live smoking a cigarette earlier tonight and a white guy who was homeless walked right by my and i didn't care, then 2 homeless black guys walked by and I got kinda worried and just walked back inside....what makes me react like that? I dont know but its almost embedded in us to feel fear from the black population. I wouldn't get scared if an asian man walked by, a hindu man, a white man, but for some reason the 2 black homeless people irked me and i went in.

that's the issue we have to resolve, how do we make people like me, who aren't racist, less fearful of the black man

20. CometsWin