1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Al Horford meeting with Rockets on Friday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Fingers crossed.

2. mightybosstone

I'm not convinced that D'Antoni had the right personnel in LA or New York to run the offense he wanted to run. Is than an excuse for why those teams were so bad? No. But as a front office, if you try to stick a square peg in a round hole, you shouldn't be surprised when it fails.

But in Houston, D'Antoni can play uptempo, and he's got an excellent pick and roll creator in Harden who plays to his strengths as a coach. If Morey can find him some more competent spot shooters, I see no reason why this roster can't produce a top 5 offense.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

that'd be wonderful, but... We all know how these decisions post LeBron play out.... "I'm taking my talents.." after waiting DAYS and getting tons of free iPads... Lol.

Anyway, the one thing everyone can thank DeAndre for is the shorter time to sign a contract this season, it'll hopefully help push this FA show faster.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Any quick reload via free agency must start with Horford. If you get him and clear another contract or two off the books(someone will take Ariza with his 8 mil salary), then you have room for another player like Durant, Conley, or Whiteside.

But if they miss out on Horford, I think they're stuck with either mid-tier guys like Anderson or just punting to 2017.

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Is Horford going to play PF or C? He's better suited for PF, but we may need him more on C, which is probably ok with D'Antoni's offense.

6. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Thunder trying to trade and get cap space for Horford, such **** blockers.

7. mockster

mockster Member

Al horford would be way better then dwight. Biggest problem with dwight I his lack of scoring. Horford can score in so many diffrent ways, including his new found three point shot right up with moreyd philosophey. Great team player may not be as good at rebounding and defense then dwight but his stars show he's bearly just as effective if not a little better in the block department

8. Ranny

Ranny Member

Right, some of these dudes think that we should just roll over and die.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

In a vacuum, to be quite honest there's very little difference between Dwight and Horford, Dwight is more athletic, a better PnR scorer, rebounder and defender. However Horford is healthier, he has a working jumpshot and most importantly he is actually a good scorer in the post.

If we consider these three things, then probably he'll be a much better fit alongside Harden given that the main issue with Dwight is he kept wanting the ball in the post and be the center of the offense. That doesn't really work because the Rox want Harden to hold the ball and create for others, and he can't do that with Dwight blocking the paint. On the other hand, if you satisfy Dwight's demands then you end up with a mediocre offense, Dwight would try to post up and then lose the ball or clank the hookshot. In a vacuum, you'd think pairing a guy who's great at offense with a guy who's great at defense would work, instead it caused a lot of mistrust because Dwight lost patience at Harden's horrible D and Harden got mad at Dwight wasting the clock and possessions.

Hopefully Horford sees the value in signing with the Rox, to be quite honest now that Dwight did the Rockets a solid and opted out early we have a ton of capspace, and while the role players aren't exactly top tier they're still decent. With almost 50M, the Rox are guaranteed to sign another major dude apart from Horford, we just need him to get on board to get the dice rolling. Of course the dream is Horford+KD, but even Horford+Fournier or Batum would be good enough to compete with the best teams IMHO.

10. mightybosstone

I'm still torn on this because I think he's better at defending the 5 than the 4. But in D'Antoni's system, I think having an athletic big who can thrive in the pick and roll is kind of important. And Capela fits that mold pretty well. Plus, I like the defense/rebounding of Horford/Capela a hell of a lot better than Motiejunas/Horford.

11. mockster

mockster Member

Clint capela can play C. Horford will defiantly be PF but I can imgine we see small ball lineups where he's at C alot

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

He can play either position, but we do have Capela, Chinanu and hopefully DMo to play alongside him at either spot.

13. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Guys, give it up. Durant is not coming.

We still have Dwight's bird rights, correct? So we could sign Horford and then potentially bring Dwight back?

Bev
    Harden
    Ariza
    Horford
    Dwight

That looks like a strong team on both ends of the floor. The only real hindrance would be Dwight's attitude towards the D'antoni philosophy.

14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

This. No one has mentioned the Brewer connection! Brewer might not have been a net negative after all if he can help us land Horford...and who knows, maybe his play would improve alongside an old buddy/teammate.

15. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

After so much constant bombardment of Harden hate, Dwert crying, and negative pile of rubble this forum has become, I don't see any harm in at least perking up that a decent FA is meeting with us. It doesn't mean anything but at least it's something in an otherwise virtual never-ending-world of how terrible we are.

16. MONON

MONON Member

YEP!

1. Howard's FG% range was within 3', while Horford's was out to the 3pt line.
    2. Howard's reb's were as the #1 rebounder, while Horford's were as the #2.
    3. Howard's 49% FT's & Horford's 79.8% means that Horford'll have more space under the basket & the offense'll run smoother, since opponents won't be hacking him.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

That's the key. Horford would actually fit nicely into our offense, rather than have to have the offense re-designed to cater to an outmoded style of play, then get all pissy when he doesn't get the touches a superhero is supposed to.
    <BR>

18. mockster

mockster Member

If we sign horford this puts in good shape. We have a chance to sign mike Conley, durant or hell any decent free agent and even if not we can grab some good role players and im confident can make a good run

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm not super high on Horford, but this is a really silly comparison without context.

20. mockster

mockster Member

So we get first contact wth al horford when free agency starts. Wonder if this means anything