1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ACA Update] The marketplace is failing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Aug 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

when has a conservative solution every been tried? Of course it can be done.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe Trump is the silver lining here. If his candidacy kills the Republican majority in the Senate, maybe there's some space to make a deal with Ryan to make useful legislation.

DFW is a leftist now?

This is true, it's failing on it's own. But, there's an opportunity for Congress to make legislative changes to improve on its structure to make it successful. They'd rather sit in their deck chairs and watch it drown. I work in an industry with a government constructed marketplace. We have plenty of benighted legislators and regulators who do dumb things, but they are proactive enough to fix things that are broken and we have a reasonably functional market as a result.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If we host the next world war and have to rebuild our infrastructure from scratch, sure. Otherwise people will treat it like education and assume if someone else is worse off, you're better off and vice-versa.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Insurance laws that required insurance companies to pay for emergency rooms as in-network regardless of whether they are is problematic. Most emergency rooms now stay out of network so they can make more money and are staffed by doctors who are not in-network.

Too many people take a kid with a fever to an emergency room, stay there for five hours and get an aspirin and some jello. To the member that might cost $250. To the insurance company it costs $5000.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What is the conservative solution if you can't afford insurance you die?

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What solution is that? The only 'solution' I've heard proposed by conservatives (aside from Obamacare itself) is to do the same old private insurance thing that left us with rising costs and millions of uninsured in the first place.

7. tallanvor

They would rather see a different system that works. Not throw money at a broken system.

Apparently now its either go with Obamacare or you are purposely trying to kill people:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: spare me.

Let me ask you a question. What have you learned from the mistake of supporting this legislation that has failed so quickly and hurt so many?

8. Anticope

Anticope Member

I have a crazy idea. Bear with me here because this is an extremely radical solution. Why don't Congress and the White House work together to fix the existing issues with the ACA?

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Because Republicans have no desire to fix ACA, or even to make it solvent until they can get the white house back.

The reason is simple; fixing ACA is self-defeating politically.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I learned "don't compromise to a Republican plan" if you win the Executive and have momentum.

11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Because it is fundamentally flawed and unworkable. It must be scrapped and replaced with something that can actually work.

12. Dubious

yes you are correct, something like medicare or Single Payer.
    People taking responsibility for people and cutting out the profits for the middle-man

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What is your solution. Obama care is a conservative idea (Dole/Romney plan).

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Shocker, it failed exactly like opponents of the bill said it would.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Except when this loser is your one-vote majority:

[​IMG]

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Is anybody honestly surprised this thing is falling apart?

So much for Obama's only "achievement" (**snicker**, crammed through on a partisan-only vote)

17. tallanvor

How dare you try to offer another option. 'F U' says Anticope. Fall in line Dubious and try to fix the current system. Don't go around suggestign a new system you think would be better.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Nope they can't fix it either. No one can. As currently constructed the U.S. is incapable.

19. Dubious

Hey I'm a Single Payer guy, I was pissed at my own favorite President over it.
    But he wanted to get off on the what he thought was the right foot and work with the GOP. It turns out they were only grifting their insurance lobbyist. I remember their glee over millions of new policies.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no "fixing" this, it just needs to go away. It was a stupid idea from the start which is why the president had to essentially bribe Democrats with tons of pork just to get them to support it. That's not to say there aren't some good things in the bill, but it's best to kill the whole thing and then start over with a new bill than to try and salvage this abomination of a bill.