1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ABC13] Fort Bend Mom Shoots and Kills Daughters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dairy Ashford, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

She's like a time-released version of that blonde chick who killed the guy outside the gym and had all those bizarro Youtube clips with either dubstep or awkward cooking videos.

2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

radical islam?

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Mainly my own ravings but I'm basing a lot of my feelings about our species on the work of evolutionary psychologist Robin Dunbar (of the "Dunbar number" fame, namely, about 150).

He has a simple primer called Human Evolution.

https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Introduction-Human-Evolution/dp/0141975318

It's rare I read something so carefully set out and just find myself nodding at the overwhelming logic of his arguments. (But he doesn't, as far as I can tell, take things to my pessimistic level about the present at all. Just sticks with what we know and can discern about humans in current, evolved form).

Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Overall all crime is down, but mass murders are up. In other words, rational people are committing less crimes but irrational ones more.

Guns have nothing to do with people dying of gunshot wounds though. There isn't a gun in history that intentionally aimed at someone on it's own and then fired by itself. Let's not blame guns for gun deaths because that's crazy talk.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That cheerleader mom story from Channelview from way back made national news and even got a TV movie.

6. B-Bob

Good point. I know a weird mom who dressed up herself and her daughter to match the story this halloween, and people even recognized the schtick.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

She is definitely a Muslim.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

If it bleeds it leads is pretty much why you see all these stories the instant they happen.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We're actually going pretty strong. If you're a technologist, Silicon Valley is nearing a tipping point rewriting scientific research in different key fields because they belatedly realized research practiced in academia is needlessly slow and human.

The US's relative economic power is stronger than ever. Ten years ago, one would not have been able to make that claim with a straight face, yet here we are with the Eurozone flailing, China slowly imploding with ghost cities and consumer held (socialized) debt and Japan being the same Japan we've known for the last 25 years.

I think we're ****ed on the environment though. The oceans are still our toilet bowl which we dump waste, fossil fuel, plastics and CO2 while assuming the live caught fish we eat haven't ingested that junk in some form up the food chain. Seafood might be the in and healthy thing to do, but it might be better off staying away from that.

From a silver lining POV, there's still a large amount of land in the US for people to adjust, but this is more a reactive thing...

On the matter of social issues (social and economic inequality, culture and education gaps, law and politics), that's still be the thing to lose sleep over despite it being the thing we can directly influence the most.

10. Buck Turgidson

The night before homecoming my freshman year of HS, this very rich, very seemingly together Memorial-type Dad shot his entire family and then himself.

You cannot explain some things.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I've often thought along these lines with the notion of death-- and especially celebrity death. Years ago death used to be a regular but infrequent visitor when we encountered it in our unwired communities, but now it hounds us through the media almost without end. That has to affect our psyche.

12. B-Bob

That's an interesting point. If you're in a small town or small community (i.e. more "normal" to a human's biological and psychological operating parameters), then each time there's a death in the community, it's noted as a significant event.

Hearing about many (maybe hundreds) of deaths per day might give us, way down in the subconscious mind, the notion that society is imploding, because that many deaths in a smaller community would be catastrophic.

13. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

The term I've heard for this is Monkey Sphere. A human can only maintain relationships with ~150 people. Some can handle a few more and some a few less but basically if someone new comes into your life you are probably dropping somebody else without knowing it.

14. MystikArkitect

If she was Muslim we'd all be blaming Islam right? But because she's blonde and white it's a mental disorder.

Smdh

15. Nook

Nook Member

Nah, if she said she did it in the name of ISIS, pledged allegiance to radical Islam and claimed sympathy for other convicted Muslim terrorists; THEN people would blame radical Islam.

However since there are no 911 calls or reports of religion being involved, we don't know she did it at this point. She was a big Second Amendment supporter, so you can pin that on her in your little false equivalency reaching brain.

1 person likes this.
  16. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I agree with your general point. However, looking at the pics of this mother and her daughters...with that in consideration, I think a story like this would have made national news back in the 90s.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a planned murder.

14 calls for service since 2012. 3 describe as attempted suicide but sheriff office wouldn't describe the other 11 or release the 911 calls. Wonder why selectively describe a few and block release of info at this time?

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/fbcso-mom-called-family-meeting-then-shot-her-2-daughters/257414793

KATY, TEXAS - Disturbing new details were released Monday in a Katy shooting that left two young women and their mother dead.

A Fulshear police officer shot and killed 42-year-old Christy Sheets Friday after she shot her two daughters, 22-year-old Taylor and 17-year-old Madison.

It happened outside their home in the 6000 block of Remson Hollow Lane in the Katy area.

Detectives Monday said Christy Sheats called a family meeting Friday that also included her husband Jason, 45.

When they gathered in the living room, Christy pulled out a gun and shot Taylor and Madison. The girls and their father ran out the front door where Madison collapsed and died.

Taylor Sheats was planning to marry her longtime boyfriend on Monday, June 25, according to her grandmother. (Photo: KHOU)

Taylor ran into the street and Christy Sheats followed, shooting Taylor again, according to detectives. A witness said she went back inside the home to reload the gun.

Jason Sheats ran to the end of the cul-de-sac.

When a FBCSO detective and Fulshear officer arrived, they saw Sheats shoot Taylor a third time.

Sheats ignored their orders do drop her gun so the officer fired one shot, killing her.

Taylor Sheats was airlifted to Memorial Hermann Hospital where she died.

Neighbors remain shocked.

"I just heard a quarrel, a domestic dispute," said Sabeeh Siddiqui, who heard and saw the end of the fight Friday afternoon. "I didn't want to get involved, but soon afterwards, I heard a gunshot, so I opened up the blinds, and I saw a police officer aiming his gun toward somebody and saying drop your weapon," Siddiqui said.

Investigators found the murder weapon was a five-shot, .38 caliber handgun.

Taylor graduated with honors from Lone Star College Cy-Fair in the spring of 2015. According to a relative, she was planning to marry her long-time boyfriend Monday.

Jason Sheats wasn't injured but he had to be taken to the hospital because he was so broken up.

Madison was going to be a senior at Seven Lakes High School.
    Jason Sheats wasn't injured, but he had to be taken to the hospital because he was so broken up. Friday was his birthday.

"Dad really loved the daughters, kids were well mannered, very respectable as well," said Chapin Knickerson, a neighbor.

Christy Sheats' former employer says he was shocked by the news.

"It shook me to the core. It was shocking, truly shocking," said John Hollis, who employed Christy for several months last year at his tattoo removal business. "She had a charm about her; apparently that was something that if she wanted to turn it on, she could turn it on and if turned the other way, it turned the other way."

He says she worked as a receptionist, answering phone calls and booking appointments, not as a business manager as she has on her LinkedIn page.

Hollis says he didn't notice any warning signs but he did say she was separated from her husband and kids at the time.

A family friend in Alabama did tell KHOU 11 that the Sheats were always having marital problems and that Jason was doing everything he could to fix their issues.

"I don't think anyone at any time at any place can ever tell me anything that will make any sense of this awful, awful tragedy," Hollis said.

The Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office has responded to 14 calls for service at the residence since January of 2012. Three of those calls were for attempted suicide but investigators aren't saying who was involved.

"Due to legal constraints issued by the county attorney, the Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office cannot describe the other calls for service, or release the 911 calls at this time," the sheriff's office said in a written statement.

Posts on Christy Sheats' Facebook page gave no indication of any family issues.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If she were black, the cops would have shot her dead immediately, instead of negotiating with her in the obvious hope of detaining and paroling her on grounds of temporary insanity. Also, most of her neighbors would have moved out by then, which would have devalued their house and put additional burden on the family's estate planning when balanced against the likely unfavorable terms of their life insurance policy, and the excess debts brought about by discriminatory lending terms and predatory interest rates, like Michael McDonald's bank did on House of Lies, but extended to all of her credit cards and student loans, which she would have had to get after "beckies" systematically took all of the academic scholarships.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Any time you see a story like this, it is inevitably followed by everyone 1) making it political, 2) choosing a side, and most importantly 3) digging in.

Then after a few days, everyone moves on to the next story and does the same thing. Rinse, lather, repeat.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Domestic violence death, in Texas, at least has been increasing.

Guess what factor makes these incidents more deadly and likely to turn into murder?It's not butter knives.