1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Sign of Success for the Houston Rockets Front Office

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Sep 29, 2013.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

A sign of success and the ultimate compliment from the league is when the other organizations begin hiring away the Rockets front office personnel and making them front office leaders in their own organizations. It’s also a sign that other teams around the league are starting to acknowledge what Daryl Morey has accomplished. In a two year span after the Rockets finally gave up on the Yao Ming era (Yao’s career with the Rockets officially ended on June 30th, 2011) and began in earnest to try and turn the team into a championship caliber team that did not include Yao, they transformed a club that had zero all-stars and was just good enough to challenge for the play-offs but never good enough to make it and drafted no higher than 14 each year into one of the top teams in the league that features two of the top ten players in the league.

Daryl Morey used every possible tool at his disposal (or at least the ones I know of) to build the Rockets starting rotation going into the 2013 season:

First
    Up and coming star Chandler parsons was acquired via the draft in the second round but clearly plays like someone who clearly should have been a lottery pick. The Rockets have consistently found players in the 2nd round that were easily 1st round talents which is a credit to Daryl Morey and their scouting department. The Rockets have been identifying 2nd round gems for years. Mark Cuban essentially called his 2nd round pick useless this past summer when he said, “Why not use a 2nd round pick on Brittney Grinner? It’s just a 2nd round pick.” I paraphrased his comment but it shows how some GM’s view 2nd round picks while Daryl Morey values them.

Second
    Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin were acquired via restricted free agency by exploiting the CBA in ways that had not previously been used and taking advantage of the Bulls and Knicks front offices. Typically teams are not able to steal a highly valued restricted free agent away from another team and the Rockets were able to get two in one off season thanks to Daryl Morey’s knowledge of the CBA.

Third
    Many people believed Daryl Morey could not pull of the true Block Buster Trade. Yes he has a history of making a lot of trades and some have been really big trades such as the Rafer Alston deal for Kyle Lowry or the Carl Landry for Kevin Martin and even the Ron Artest trade, but even those trades left people doubting Daryl had the ability to pull off a true block buster trade. But then he acquired James Harden via a block buster trade with OKC. What was amazing was how Daryl Morey acquired the pieces to make the trade since the Rockets started with no building block pieces and no draft picks higher than 14. In attempt to trade for Dwight Howard the Rockets traded away every player of value with the exception of Kevin Martin including getting a guaranteed lottery pick for Kyle Lowry and moving up in the draft to acquire Jeremy Lamb. The Rockets were unable to land Dwight in a trade but they now had all the pieces in place when the next opportunity game up. The Rockets could now offer a group of items that no other team in the league could offer in a trade, a guaranteed lottery pick, a building block piece in Jeremy Lamb and an established high value veteran that is a proven scorer in Kevin Martin. Preparation finally met opportunity, but make no mistake while some people continue to say this trade was nothing more than luck, the rest of the league has realized that Daryl Morey made his own luck.

Fourth
    If Daryl Morey had his doubters about pulling off the big trade, he had even more doubters about his ability to sign a mega star in free agency. The media and a lot of people on this board got a real kick out of Daryl showing up at Chris Bosh’s door step with an IPad in hand to try and unsuccessfully to lure Chris to the Houston Rockets. Unfortunately Daryl was not even given the opportunity at a second meeting with Chris. Fast forward to the summer of 2013 and Daryl Morey probably landed the biggest fish in free agency the Houston Rockets have ever landed. Welcome to Houston, Dwight Howard in a mega block buster free agent signing!

The rest of the league noticed.

Daryl Morey officially took over the Houston Rockets in 2007 after Carol Dawson retired. During that time The Rockets have gone from having Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady as the cornerstones of the organization and well over the salary cap and had zero cap flexibility to an organization that has Dwight Howard and James Harden as the cornerstones. What is amazing is not only that the transformation was made in such a short amount of time but that the Rockets have never had a sub .500 winning percentage during Daryl Morey’s time with the organization. To the victor goes the spoils and in this case that means James, Dwight, Chandler, Omer and Jeremy along with one of the youngest title contending teams in the league and still loaded with the ability to improve the roster.

The rest of the league definitely noticed.

Along with front office success comes the other teams wanting to emulate your team’s success. What’s the best way to do that? By hiring your team’s front office personnel. I don’t remember a time when the rest of the NBA lined up at the Rockets front door to bid on the assets of the organizations front office. I have mentioned the name Daryl Morey a lot but what this is really about is an organization that, while led by Daryl, included a trio of basketball savants that are now reaping the rewards of successfully rebuilding the Houston Rockets.

Gersson Rosas – Vice President of Basketball Operations for the Houston Rockets to GM of the Dallas Mavericks 2013
    http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/0...s-new-general-manager.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Sam Hinkie – Vice President of Basketball Operations for the Houston Rockets to GM of the Philadelphia 76ers 2013
    http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...brett-brown-ive-hitched-my-car-to-sam-hinkie/

Artūras Karnišovas – Director of Player Personnel of the Houston Rockets to Assistant GM of the Denver Nuggets
    http://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/denver-nuggets-name-arturas-karnisovas-assistant-gm

As excited as we all are about where the Rockets are and the teams ability to now compete for a championship for the foreseeable future, the league has taken notice of the excellence of the Houston Rockets front office and the tremendous role played in achieving that excellence by Gersson Rosas, Sam Hinkie and Artūras Karnišovas.

3 people like this.
  2. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Enjoyed reading this.

For those with patience, this has been a magical ride.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Championship is the only sign of success. If you are not first, you are last.

4. crash5179

Delete

#4 crash5179, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Two of the most crucial and underrated moves by Morey:

1. Trading Lowry, who was at the time the closest thing this team had to a fringe allstar, for a reverse lottery protected pick.

At the time, I remember questioning this move, in my own head of course, since by then I was smart enough already not to doubt Morey out loud. My apprehension was from trading our best player for what in my mind was "merely" a pick. There was no way to properly value the reverse protection, since there has been no precedent for structuring such a deal. From Morey's own mouth, it was an innovative maneuver. Only later did we find out the true value of this deal, with the pick being the centerpiece to the James Harden trade.

2. Correctly identifying Harden as a franchise player, and betting $85 million on it.

It is revisionist history for people to claim a superstar simply fell in Morey's lap. At the time, on this very board, people were split on what kind of player Harden would become. Distinctly, some questioned his ability to elevate his game because he "had no midrange game". And the utter ignorance to sample size of "he choked in the finals".

If one is to say that Harden fell into Morey's lap, then the Warriors and Wizards actually had the first crack at it. They simply failed to value Harden as the player he is and chose to pass on the offer. Another team failed at this as well, OKC themselves who had a front row seat for 3 years. Surely, if they knew Harden was a top 10 player in the NBA, they would have found other ways to cut cost, such as amnestying Perkins and starting a better player in Collison.

It is a kudos to Morey and his staff that they correctly forecasted Harden's ascension . By looking at his numbers without Durant and Westbrook, they saw that Harden produced like a superstar in his own right, contrary to conventional wisdom and talking heads on ESPN that claimed Harden's success was a byproduct of playing off of 2 other superstars.

6. crash5179

I agree with the reverse lottery protected pick being key. It had never been done before and I could be argued that with out that pick, OKC would not have pulled the trigger on that trade. How often does a team trade away a player and get back a guaranteed lottery pick?

Like you say, I think identifying James as a superstar was key. He had never started or even been the number 2 guy on a team much less the number 1 guy. Big kudos to DM and crew for doing that.

7. Ultimate6thMan

Excellent post, I concur.

Oh, and also excellent post OP!!!

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

One correction: We did pick higher than 14th during those two years. Jeremy Lamb was the 12th pick.

9. crash5179

You are right about the actual pick but the Rockets were actual at 14 and had to trade up to get to 12. I know it's splitting hairs. :)

10. eomor131

eomor131 Member

11. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Also Nick Nurse is gone. He's not FO, but he was part of the developmental farm system down there in Rio Grande as head coach of the Vipers. He's not an NBA assistant coach on the Raptors, after leading the Vipers to a D-League championship and developing all those Rocket guys down there like Greg Smith, T-Jones, etc.

12. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

now an NBA assistant coach*

13. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Great post, Crash. Thanks.

Not only have the rest of the organizations around the league noticed. The players -- guys like LaMarcus Aldridge and pending free agents -- have noticed.

This success, along with the improvements to the facilities just made, means Houston should be a serious destination for free agents and want-to-be-traded stars for years to come.

Clutch City, coming through again.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't agree with this mentality in any way whatsoever.

15. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

But then why isn't anyone hiring away the Miami Heat management staff, or the Spurs ?

16. MONON

MONON Member

I agree with the Heat FO, but the Spurs FO is basically Pop with a figure head GM. Pop's assistants/players are scattered through out the league. Arguably not doing as well as the Rockets though. :grin:

17. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

That's a good point. I underrated harden big time. I saw him as a max 20-22 ppg guy as a lead, not a 25-27 ppg guy and all nba 1st teamer.

I probably over-estimated some of his perceived negatives as well: his (relatively) poor play in the finals, and rumors of his excessive partying. There was talk that the two were linked, which wasn't a good sign.

But as a lead guy, harden has been an absolute beast and shown that he can be a cornerstone of a championship team.

Morey is the freakin' mvp of the rockets, sheesh.

18. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

Pat Riley IS miami heat management.

19. crash5179

Some poeple claim that Daryl Morey got lucky. IMO what the Heat did required a lot more luck than what the Rockets did.

There has only been one time in History where 3 players of the caliber of LeBron, DWade and Bosh entered free agency at the same time and made it clear that they were going to play together even if it meant taking les money. Give Miami credit for being in the right place at the right time and taking advantage of it but make no mistake there was ton of luck involved. That scenario may or may not ever happen again.

What Daryl Morey did required a ton of preperation IMO, maninpulation of the CBA in a way that had never been done, great player scouting etc...

No knock on Miami but maybe there was nothing unconventional about the way Miami assembled there core. Once again, nothing wrong with how Miami got there because at the end of the day the only thing that counts are the championship trophies in the case.

But maybe other teams see the Rockets way of acquiring talent as more attainable and a more viable option to building a team while staying competitive than simply hoping 3 superstars hit free agency at the same time and are all wanting to play together for your team at a reduced price.

20. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Great post OP and CXbby. I would add that Morey also correctly predicted that Omer and Jeremy could play big minutes and produce, which they did by being the only 2 Rockets to play all 82 games. Omer even came through in the playoffs elevating his FT% to seal a big game by himself.