1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[90s Nostalgia] Oasis Documentary Trailer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DCkid, Sep 6, 2016.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Looks pretty great.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7C0EhlbyuSU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Will watch. Sucks they broke up. Also sucks Liam's voice is **** now.

3. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Crazy to think that Axl Roses voice can still hold to this day with those insane high pitches and screams, but Liam Gallagher couldn't.

Loved "What's the Story" in high school, would love to see them live if possible.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mad fer it

1 person likes this.
  5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I like career change Noah embarked on. Manchester City Mascot.

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I own Live Forever on DVD, definitely a big fan of Oasis

tinman likes this.
  7. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I didn't know anybody still liked Oasis in the US. I loved their first 2 albums and the related b sides. I was a huge fan back then, but it seemed like there was a big backlash in America with people finding Liam to be a d*ck. I got the impression Noel stockpiled a ton of songs before they had a record deal and then lost the fire to write too many more good songs once they got money. I still actually rank them as my favorite band b/c they were good and they hit at that right time in my life to bring back a lot of memories.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I thought they were HUGELY overhyped/over-PLAYED when they emerged in the scene. THE MEDIA FIRST trying WAY too hard to create a British "invasion" when no one really wanted it. Then their actual egos were revealed to match and it was off-putting.. It was like these unlikable wankers just don't deserve the accolades they get, how could you not think of their smug mugs when their songs played and actually take them serious? It was almost a sigh of relief that they fizzled out.

But time has been good to their actual music and created a fonder "What-If". They were certainly one of the best in that 90's period.

9. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Coldplay without the vocal chops

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Oasis was one of the first bands I followed religiously while growing up. Still think I am in the minority that liked the "Be Here Now" album and loved The B sides "Masterplan" album.

Their MTV Unplugged performance was underrated and actually liked that Noel sang all the songs while Liam was "sick" with a sore throat.

Looking forward to this, thanks for the heads up OP

1 person likes this.
  12. oakdogg

Coldplay is soft rock. Not every Oasis song is Wonderwall.

13. oakdogg

The B sides were awesome. That was what was great. You had 2 great albums one year apart. Then, with every single, you had new classics as b sides every bit as good as their singles - Listen Up, Whatever (non-album single), Acquiesce, Rocking Chair - those songs are as good as any of theirs. Their being so prolific during that period was a big reason I liked them so much.

I think MTV Unplugged was a point when America really went against them. In August 1996, Oasis did those Knebworth concerts. They broke the record for largest % of the British population attempting to purchase tickets. They played in front of 250,000 people in two nights. It seems at this point they told themselves "job well done" as in they had conquered the world - but that was just England.

They were spent b/f they went back after the US. Liam bailed on MTV Unplugged, making him look like a d*ck. Then, Liam bailed on the US tour to look for a house in England, again looking like a serious d*ck. And at this point, they went from trending upwards to what Shroopy2 described at the start of his post. And that was the time when I quit advertising I was a big fan................until I see this thread on ClutchFans 20 years later..........

I do listen to Be Here Now more than any other of their albums after Morning Glory. As you said though, most people consider it a disappointment. As I mentioned, it is my belief that Noel had both his first two albums + all the b sides (you're talking maybe 20+ songs in b sides) written before getting big. I believe Be Here Now is when these songs ran out. There's a difference when you're no longer hungry. It would be better if the songs were shorter IMO.

1 person likes this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Wtf is dis.

15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I loved Acquiesce when I first heard it on their SNL performance and Stay Young is one of my favorite songs that nobody has ever heard, geeked out when they played it on the end credits of the movie "The Faculty"

Their cover of "c*m On Feel the Noize" on the Don't Look Back in Anger single was fantastic

16. tinman

Supporting Member

99ers educating!

17. oakdogg

Good call on "Stay Young." That is the type of message I like in songs from them. Songs like "Roll With It" too. Makes you feel like you can bulldoze your way to wherever you want.

Talking about the b sides reminded me of something the younger generation can't really get, I don't think. Back then, there was no Spotify, YouTube, or even Amazon. Music actually cost something and it was not instantly available - therefore, people valued it more. Those Oasis singles were not cheap - and they were not available in every Best Buy or Circuit City. You had to dig through imports at a good record store - and you still wouldn't find all of them. Music is so cheap now, I think it is really disposable. Back then, the albums in your collection said something about yourself. If a conversation popped up about a band and you said you owned something from them, that meant something - you committed to that band - you invested your money in them. These youngin's can't relate........

18. oakdogg

Man, tinman, if only there was a pretty lady with your tastes.

We share the same:

- favorite basketball team;

- favorite university;

- taste in music now apparently.

That trifecta has pretty slim odds.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

We(99ers) are all part of a masterplan

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Good stuff. Be Here Now entered the charts at #2 in '97 so the interest was still there past the debacle that was the morning glory tour. I don't think you can say they ever crushed America but they were easily the biggest band in the World for about 3 years and their later albums sold very well outside of the US. After Be Here Now you also saw Noel opening up the albums to contributions from other band members and Liam, which frankly weren't as good. His 2 solo albums post Oasis are fantastic.

Speaking of that album, the remastered version is set to be released next month and includes a reworking of "D'you Know What I Mean" by Noel. That was always one of my favorite tracks and this version smokes the original. If he re mixed the entire album, it could possibly be as good as the first 2. At least take off about 5 layers of guitars.

I don't know how to embed on the phone but here's the YouTube link:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xKsT0Z6HW5k

Even if you don't like their music, Noel's a top 10 interview. Simply hilarious.