1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

790 new home of rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by teebone21, Nov 20, 2012.

1. teebone21

teebone21 Member

I have listen to this station for 4 hours and so far 2 day they have talked about the Rockets for a total of 10 minutes. did we not play game last night? Even though 610 had crazy host they still at least gave the Rocket air time. instead of the Rockets day talk about football from last Saturday and Sunday. so far this year I am NOT impressed with them

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The show on right now called " In the trenches" is a football show.

It ends at noon.

Ps: not to mention The Rockets didn't even show up to the game last night. What's there to talk about?

3. teebone21

teebone21 Member

I know that but everyday its the same thing all day. Rockets jason friedman gets 15 minutes in the morning about 5pm they mention something small about rockets. I guess they need to establish a bball only show so rockets can have dedicated time so i dont have to hear about Texans all day

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Well, there is not much thing they can talk about, not many people call in, the radio people may be can not watch the games either, so what are they going to talk about? Blame the coaching? I do not think they want to do it either.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

At the end of the day, they are a business, and they know that 90% of their audience only cares about football drama.

(RANT ALERT) Its just the sad nature of the US sports world right now. 90% of America will just eat up anything that's sold to them. Football is the biggest money grab sport that's ever existed(largest stadiums, constant timeouts for commercials, cheap salaries per player, every team gets their 1 celebrity star to sell, metaphor for war/battle, etc.

We live in a football obsessed world. WWF used to be a male soap opera... now its the NFL.

Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, Hockey all have specific hardcore fans, but to hit those markets you really need to be guage that audience specifically. Designated times for interviews, warn the audience well before you entertain that specific audience, etc.

You can't just throw Hockey scores out there to your primetime audience, and expect that most of the audience wont turn the channel. You need to address that specific audience directly, and warn them its coming. Basketball isn't as specific of an audience as Hocky or Soccer, but its not nearly as broad as Football and Baseball.

Right now, you just aren't going to hear much about Basketball anywhere in the national media until after Christmas, which is the national media beginning to the season. Its like clockwork.

However, there are ways to get your basketball fix now which is great. You have podcasts you can find, NBATV, and the Rockets are lucky enough to have Clutchfans, Jason Friedman's goodies, and Jonathan Feigan's updates for the franchise as well to keep the hardcore fans engaged.

790 the home of the Houston Rockets....eehhh, when its good business for them. Still, there are people at that station that really do want to push the Rockets as much as they possibly can. That alone accounts for something. At the end of the day though they have to stay in business by talking football.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Texans are 9-1 and play on national TV for Thanksgiving. #1 and #2 in CFB were upset Saturday. Rockets have lost 3 in a row. Football is going to dominate in that situation.

Matt and Adam usually give the Rockets plenty of run, though. This week is probably an exception.

7. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Being "home" of the rockets is more about having the pre-/post game official show as well as in game broadcast more than having commentary about it. 790 is easily my favorite in this city and they do give the rockets a fair percentage of coverage but it's football season now.

They have morey on the show I think every week. I really think what killed it was a kt of negative Comcast talk...they really lost the momentum of the harden signing.

8. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I agree somewhat. There isnt much to talk about but they should talk about them a little more. I was excited to have 790 as the Rockets main station. If you dont catch pregame or postgame on there, then there is very little Rockets talk.

9. IBTL

IBTL Member

listening to play by play for rockets compared to what gene peterson was is absolutely brutal. the current play by play guy is awful.

man I hate to sound like an old guy but they dont make em like they used to:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zsAXdhQxI1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. candyman285

candyman285 Member

I'm out of town right now, do they play the games on iheart radio?

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

When 610 is talking more hoops than you there is something wrong.

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. sergio

sergio Member

At least they got ten minutes.BTW Dynamo won a championship over the weekend. Most sccessfull team in Houston sports history and no one cares on 610 or 790.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Dynamo haven't won that Championship game yet. They play this weekend.....

15. VeloCity

VeloCity Member

I stopped listening to 790 - I could understand talking about Texans. They deserve a lot of attention for this year's run. But I can't believe they spend so much time talking about college football from every obscure corner of the country.

Home of the Rockets? Not 790. In fact, the Rockets has no presence on the radio.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Nope. Confuses me too.

17. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

I hear you, man. I was a season ticket holder this year. What a team/franchise! :cool:

They won the Western Conference Championship, just like in the NBA. And they play next weekend (Dec. 1st).

18. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

Also, they've won 2 MLS Cup Championships in 2006 & 2007.

19. RX2012

RX2012 Member

SPORTS RADIO 610 SUCKS.
    All they did was whine about the rockets, morey never does anything right. ESPECIALLY THAT D-BAG PAUL GALLANT. And then JOSH WAS PLAYING HIS "cute roll" like he does for most of his airtime and pissed Morey off with a stupid question that wasn't even warranted or professional.

SPORTS RADIO 610 HAS BOZO'S programming their direction.

On 790 you're going to get the Rockets pre and post game shows and there are still interviews with Morey all the time in the morning with Matt and Adam and even Matt bullard comes on at least once a week for the drive home during evenings.

Stop listening to 610, they suck I promise.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Hey, good to have 790 staff on clutchfans.net

1 person likes this.