1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

26 years ago [A Sentimental Piece]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HouStu_Rocket, May 7, 2015.

1. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Michael Jordan made this shot that would forever be a signature moment for one of the greatest, if not the greatest, player of all time.

http:// https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5WUOnTxwPw

I hate bringing it up but I have to. Lillard's shot was monumental. One of the only moments in sports I have ever felt like crying after watching it. Not many since Michael Jordan's shot heard around the world has their ever been one shot that effected history quite like this one. The only shot even remotely comparable is Ray Allen's three against the Spurs when they had the trophy literally in their hands before it was taken from them.

http:// https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2GJ2PwXQ4E

The Rockets were unlucky in that series. One of the closest series ever in seen in the NBA playoffs...some bad calls that costs us the game (I am referring to the ones the NBA apologized for), some rather video-game performances by Aldridge that he will never replicate in order to just barely escape with a win, and that shot...that miraculously shot that put the series to rest. I have no doubt that if the Rockets won that game it would mean a 7 game series and the Rockets win in the end. Our team last year had a chance to play the eventually champion Spurs. We had their number...they simply couldn't beat us last year. That is the significance of Lillard's shot and it is the first time since that Michael Jordan buzzer beater that a shot was so impactful to the rest of the playoffs. The ripple effect was not as easily identifiable as the one Michael Jordan created but it was just as historical.

2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Jordan's shot was important was huge because he went on to become the best player ever.

Lillard will never sniff that title... It's not remotely as memorable

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I wonder if the MJ shot footage had a big master tape (analog probably) be rewound then replayed. It was tedious to say the least of what the had to do for replays, especially sports replays.

The Lillard shot, on the other hand, is a just a quick flash storage replay.

4. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Arguably the only team capable of winning the title that year against the Cavaliers were the Spurs. They proved that by actually winning.

Jordan went on to become the greatest player ever while LeBron went on to receive a huge smudge on his GOAT resume (2 finals wins and 3 finals losses).

If Lillard's shot misses - Rockets potentially go on to beat Portland and have the numbers against the only foreseeable team that could win that series against the Cavaliers. Michael Jordan went on to be the GOAT and LeBron should probably hate Lillard as much as Rockets fans do.

5. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

stockton's 3 hurt more

6. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Ah yes. That could have had an equal effect as to the topic I posted about.

That is actually one thing I never thought of and devalues a lot of what I wrote in the thread. Its still quite interesting to delve into

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets team last year wasn't going anywhere dude. The trail blazers exposed our weaknesses.

I still don't understand what this has to do with michael Jordan? The spurs would have beaten us last year too.

Morey realized he needed a more veteran presence and James Harden last year was not as good as this year's Harden.

Why would Lebron hate Lillard?? This makes no sense.

8. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Gdammit guys. Its late and I stated it was a sentimental piece. I've been at my desk studying economics for hours. Let me have a win

9. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

I declare you the winner of the Internet. Tomorrow I shall announce that I had a torn muscle.