1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2020] Bullpen Revolving Door

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They could put Taylor in at closer, but then Pressly would give up runs earlier in the game. With Bielak and Javier moving to the starting rotation; Osuna, Peacock, and Pruitt down; Pressly, Abreu and James sucking; and Verlander and Urquidy not in rotation, the Astros just don't have enough links in the chain.

This team needs the off day today and maybe Bones from Star Trek.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Astros just have to keep running guys out there. We really have no idea what we have because we have a million rookies and no ST. At this point it's hard to say for sure if we've actually found something, if a guy just needs to get in a rhythm, or if he just sucks.

Scrubb,Taylor, and Parades have all shown some good signs. Hell 32 year old Raley has struck out 8 guys in 6 innings, maybe he's found something as a full time reliever, or it means nothing and he will resume being a journeyman scrub.

This season is a mess, wasting assets on a middle reliever won't change that. We're gonna have to find multiple good arms in house, and the only way to do that is to let them pitch, even if we have to take some L's doing so.

3. raining threes

If they had a solid closer things would look alot different.

4. raining threes

Pressley is still making his way back from injury. He doesn't need to be doing this during high leverage situations.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

You do realize that Taylor was just as much a factor in that loss Tuesday as Pressly was, and he's been our most consistent arm

So who should be closing right now, and who should be pitching these high leverage situations that is safer than Pressly? We gotta get at least 3 innings every night.

6. raining threes

I realize Taylor has had only one bad outing this year.

I also realize that the Stros need to find a vet closer and until they do I want either Taylor or Scrubb closing out games.

Taylor gave up a lucky opposite field hr. That happens occasionally to the best relievers. See: Harris

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd vote Taylor, too, right now...but I also haven't seen much of Scrubb...at least until Pressley gets right.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

This isn't a normal season for many reasons.

First, consider that the motivation to win a World Series is likely lower this year. A trade isn't going to put more butts in the seats down the stretch. It isn't going to allow for attendance in additional playoff games. That is on top of the Astros losing lots of money already because of COVID.

So while I am sure that the Astros owner wants to win (he does) for many reasons, the bottom line benefits are more limited.

Further, the trade deadline is line no other. What is the real value of players entering free agency?

Snake Diggit and raining threes like this.
  9. raining threes

This is why I think Crane is going to sit out the trade deadline this year.

It's also why I think 2 of Springer, Brantley,Yuli will be back next year.

Nook likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

I'd avoid buying at the trade deadline for 3 reasons:

1. With expanded playoffs, the whole playoffs is more of a crapshoot in general.
    2. With expanded playoffs, teams that aren't normally in contention will be, meaning more buyers and fewer sellers (thus, higher prices).
    3. There's a decent chance the season gets cancelled before a World Series anyway, meaning you wasted resources.

I'm not a believer in being a seller when you're a contender (the Astros are, regardless of how they've looked), but if there's ever a year to dangle expiring players and see what you might get in return, this is it. Middle-tier teams that never make the playoffs may be motivated to overpay.

desihooper and Nook like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

These are all excellent points as well. A middling team may have a GM under pressure to win and may drive up the price for players at the deadline hoping that they catch lightning in a bottle.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can a team put a return clause/option in the deal if a World Series (or post season) is canceled?