1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020: Best Fried Rice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

In your opinion .. .

Part 1: what is the Best Fried Rice in Houston

I personally prefer Mai's

Part 2: Do you have a favorite Recipe for Fried Rice you made at home?

Rocket River

TWS1986 likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Timmy Chans

The best? Crawfish and Noodles; Lotus Seafood; Thai Fried Rice...pick a place close to you.

Mai's is awesome for everything, I miss that place.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

All my favorite memories of fried rice revolve around basically being a broke college kid back in the 90's and stuffing myself at Timmy Chan's or that old Chinese restaurant that used to be at Main and 610 that I can't remember the name of. Then there was Kim Son and Grand (Palace?) something I can't remember the name of (I think it burned down), or the $2.99 buffet that I also can't remember the name of all located Downtown. It's ironic how, as you get older, the things that bring back the fondest memories you can't remember anymore... :(

BTW, if it's the same restaurant I'm thinking of, I think a bunch of us ate at Mai's after our high school graduation back in the day. That was the first time I think I had Vietnamese food even though I grew up with VIetnamese friends. That place has been around forever, and I think it even burned down once since then.

As for favorite recipes, I've tried this recipe recently. Turned out pretty good even though the crab is kind of pricey for fried rice. I just wanted to try it for a change-of-pace. I've heard the secret to getting the rice good is to use day-old rice as opposed to fresh.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

You do the wok, do the wok of life? Yeah, you do the wok of life

Your crab fried rice sounds awesome by the way, never had that before.

#4 Buck Turgidson, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Benihana is always my favorite, thai gourmet is solid too.

6. Asian Sensation

I don’t think I’ve ever ‘bought’ fried rice. Just make it at home. Kimchi fried rice with spam and sunny side egg on top is prob my fav.

Xerobull likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

How did you develop a taste for SPAM? Cousin who works for me loves it, but he got the taste way back in Vietnam, then Hawaii and Alaska. Still loves it, and has tried to cook it for me, fried and with eggs and such...but really?

I'm not really talking **** about it, I'm just really curious why people developed a taste for it. I know it's still huge in Hawaii, for example.

#7 Buck Turgidson, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  8. Asian Sensation

Well a long long time ago after the Korean, food was scarce in South Korea. People dwelling around U.S. army bases, in the Uijeongbu, Pyeongtaek, and Munsan areas made use of surplus foods from army bases, commonly processed meat products including Spam. So there you have it... parents and rest of the family don’t really care for it but it’s in the DNA.

I mean if it’s between spam and bacon it’s usually bacon all the way but there’s instances where spam is god tier .....Usually involving kimchi.... in before mentioned kimchi fried rice and kimchi jjigae. Also love spam musubi.

9. Buck Turgidson

Right, Hawaii (WWII), Japan (post WWII), Korea, and I'm going to guess Vietnam still all love SPAM. I was just curious how you got hooked on it.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I had a friend from Hawaii tell me how delicious fried Spam is so my dumbass went to the store and bought a can. It has to be one of the most awful things I’ve tried - the fried Spam and the remainder of the cab ended up in the trash.

boomboom and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Timmy Chan's no doubt.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Anything grandma cooks when you’re 5 is amazing.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

Brad Rozner, Sr.