1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017/2018 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Pretty easy, they're the only team able to pay the buyout clause.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Lukaku looking good. Martial looks to be the odd man out. Hope he can rediscover his mojo

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Eh, it's still my favourite sport, off-ball ish won't turn me away from it.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

They're going to be a team to beat in every competition they're in with or without Neymar. Too many world class players around Messi not to. As a Madrid fan, I would be worried that they hit on a couple of midfielders to replace Iniesta and Rakitic.

What do you think of Messi's effect on the team? I feel there's something about him that forces a lot of moves in and around Barcelona. On the pitch, it's rare that a forward maintains the level of play they had before they moved to Barca and then play better when they leave. You mentioned several and didn't include players like Sanchez and Villa. And off it, the sudden departure of players and managers always seems to benefit Messi in some way. The way he is, I mean his personality doesn't suggest that he is the one pulling the strings, but the people around him may be.

5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah but still...

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Many of these guys only care about their brand and money nowadays, it's disgusting.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

BILD saying Aubameyang will join Tianjin in January.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is Bild as reliable as the Sun? :D

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Hit or miss mostly. When they talk about a done deal, they're usually right.
    Their transfer rumors are often trash tho.

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. Raz

Raz Member

Let's wait how that Qatar World Cup in December 2022, sponsored by slavery, turns out. FIFA is working hard to ruin the game.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Brazil and Russia isn't much better unfortunately, but I still love the sport and wouldn't want to live without it. And lower divisions aren't too entertaining either, so only watching that isn't an option.

12. Raz

Raz Member

What? I know the situations in Brazil and Russia aren't too good either - but come on: You're seriously comparing them to Qatar, where foreign workers are literally held as slaves, over 1 000 died already and nobody even cares?

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nah definitely not the same level, just wanted to mention how Qatar isn't the first world cup with shitty conditions and pissing on people's lives.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

What a weird double standard between basketball and soccer. In basketball we hate the idea of super teams and all the talent consolidating into a few teams. In soccer on the other hand, we love having a few powerful clubs dominate and hate a player from wanting to leave a stacked club in order to do things the hard way

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

PSG is a rich rich club, true they haven't been able to make the CL finals like Monaco did.......but I think they have potential if the Neymar deal goes through.

Outcasts DiMaria and Draxler have been wonderful additions IMHO. Textbook counterattack football.

I view as them as the Rockets of 2012-2017. Close but not close enough.

But as a Barca fan I want him to stay for obvious reasons but could understand, Barca should have no problem finding other young talents.

Ligue1 is no real challenge for a Top 4 player worldwide.

#35 daywalker02, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Westham is on their way to 5th-7th place.....

Hart
    Zabaleta
    Chicharito
    Arnautovic

[​IMG]

#36 daywalker02, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Difference is Neymar doesn't want to win "the hard way", he's just trying to be in the spotlight and further his brand.
    Trust me, no one joins PSG to win the Champions League. These guys are controlled by agents and try to maximize their fame and profits.

18. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Was at the Manchester Darby on Thursday. Still surreal got to watch that in Houston for a fraction of the price it would cost to go to England and watch it. That Lukaku was amazing. Damn I wish Chelsea hadn't sat on their hands and went after him. Hopefully Morata will be able to replace the volume of goals that Costa provided

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sorry for the late response, I wasn't aware you posted.

I have not given much thought to Messi making the players around him better or are other top players better without him....

Certain strikers are enhanced when playing with Messi like Luis Suarez who would do fine without Messi as well.

Messi will draw attention to himself, creating chances for others but he is someone who controls the ball alot.

Messi like CR7 is not a pure passer, he is a dribbler and closer who passes at times.

Sanchez wanted to be the No.1 guy or at least seeing eye to eye to Lionel. Villa was just older when he left for the MLS.

IMO I dun see Messi having this much impact on transfer politics but Barca's management.
    The continuous flux to get better and younger talents........just insane and what Top clubs have been doing these years.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/06/arsen...-messi-taught-him-at-barcelona-video-6558218/

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/alexis-sanchez-demands-messi-money-to-sign-for-psg-4191396

#39 daywalker02, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

ramotadab likes this.