1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#2 seed is the most important thing for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HouStu_Rocket, Mar 4, 2015.

1. jogo

jogo Member

We might need to go 6-3 in our last 9 games to beat Memphis for #2. That's going to be really tough. We have a brutal stretch of road games soon.

2. rocketsmetalspd

Need to finish up the 9 games left strong and let seeding be what it will be. The team will be able to compete with any team because if you seriously look at it, this team has not have had a full and healthy roster throughout the season. Getting everyone healthy other teams will not truly know what the Rockets can really do with a full roster.

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I think we're probably the best matchup for them of any top 4 team, so I can't be super mad. I also see a lot of chatter among their fans about Carlisle prevailing in the matchup against McHale, which I also can't be mad about.

That said -- bring them on. There would be no more satisfying victory.

4. Coog4Rockets

Coog4Rockets Member

If we go 6-3 in our last 9 games, the Clippers will most likely pass us for the 2nd seed. I have full faith in us ending the season with a higher seed than Memphis, but idk about the clippers.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's doable. Looking at the last 9 games, there are 4 games the Rockets should win: Sactown at home, New Orleans at home, at Charlotte, and Utah at home.

Then they only need to get 2 of the remaining games: at Toronto, at Dallas, at OKC, at San Antonio, San Antonio at home.

Toronto is playing badly lately and will be without Lowry. Dallas may still be without Monta and they'll be on a B2B just like us(they play at OKC the night before). OKC will be without Durant and Ibaka. At San Antonio will be brutal, but as well as they're playing lately, they're nowhere near as dominant on the road. So we could take them at Toyota Center. Plus you never know if Pop will rest any guys that late in the season.

6. KlutchQT

Nice distillation of how we could regain tiebreaker. Doable if focused.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets-Grizz split head to head. Most div wins Grizz can finish with is 9. Rockets are 6-6, four more to play.</p>&mdash; Hardwood Paroxysm (@HPbasketball) <a href="https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/582357961801998336">March 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>So basically, if Houston goes 3-1 vs. Mavs, Spurs 2X, and Pels, they likely get tiebreaker.</p>&mdash; Hardwood Paroxysm (@HPbasketball) <a href="https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/582358286705422336">March 30, 2015</a></blockquote>

7. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clippers have an easy schedule for the rest of the year.

I'm hoping we can have at least 5 games left with a full squad together outside of Bev. It's important that they get some type of rhythm.

8. count_dough-ku

I don't think that 3-1 prediction is correct. If we go 3-1 and Memphis beats New Orleans at home, we finish with identical division records. The next tiebreaker is conference records and the Grizzlies have us beat there. So the Rockets for all intents and purposes need to finish ahead of Memphis unless the Pelicans do us a major favor this week.

That's true. The Clippers are on a roll with 7 straight wins. Granted, it's against lousy competition, but to be honest, their remaining schedule ain't that tough:

GS
    @POR
    @DEN
    @LAL(which is practically a home game)
    LAL
    MEM
    DEN
    @PHX

I could definitely see them losing at home against Golden State(assuming Kerr doesn't rest anyone) and at Portland on a B2B. Maybe they lose at Denver. Maybe at home to Memphis(although that would hurt our chances at the division). I wouldn't hold my breath with the Suns since that's the last day of the season and Phoenix will have nothing to play for.

So more than likely 2 losses and no more than 4 barring a complete collapse. And remember, they have the tiebreaker with the better conference record. So it could take a 57-25 finish for the Rockets to hold them off and get the 2nd seed. Cuz it ain't gonna do us a lot of good to win the division but still wind up in 3rd and staring at the Spurs as our first round opponent.

9. KlutchQT

Yeah, you're right. Matt is a Grizz fan officially on the Very Concerned Fans train, so maybe he's just assuming they'll take an L to New Orleans lol. I'm gonna ask and see if he answers.

10. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I think there's 3 main things at play, IMO:
    1. 2 and 3 seed avoid GS until the Western Conference Finals
    2. 2 likely plays Mavs
    3. 2 seed would boost the Harden MVP campaign

I think point 1 is crucial and is something very important, meaning we'd have to stay ahead of just one of Memphis/LAC, but the other two points, yes, would really need to stay at the 2 seed.

11. KlutchQT

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/aprilnicole82">@aprilnicole82</a> yeah, it depends on the Grizzlies game</p>&mdash; Hardwood Paroxysm (@HPbasketball) <a href="https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/582399235229765632">March 30, 2015</a></blockquote>

Yeah. So.... #LettucePrey.

ETA: Not having that H2H tiebreaker is just. so. annoying.

12. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Right. Plenty of incentive to secure the 2nd seed.
    I know the race is still quite close but I feel like we are gong to continue to rise with having a RELATIVE weak schedule even if they are on the road and having Dwight back.

Also, can Harden freaking get some more 40 point games and can Westbrook cool down so Harden can have the scoring title that is rightfully his?

13. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets have a 1.5 game lead over the Clippers and the Clippers have to play GS, POR and MEM left. If the Rockets go 6-3 and the Clippers pass them, then so be it.

14. YourSecretLover

Do the rockets have the tie breaker over the clippers?

wheres the magic number thread when we need one

15. count_dough-ku

No. We split the season series 2-2, but the Clippers have a far better conference record. They've got the tiebreaker.

16. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

I'm fine with either seed as long as we avoid the Clippers.

I'll take our chances against the Spurs.

17. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

We have recently shown that we can stand up to the Clippers. It would most likely be a dogfight

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

nah, not worth it, it's a bad matchup with them I feel like in almost every position

19. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

remember We don't have bev though. I would like to match up with a point guard that can't shoot ( Rondo ) rather then C.Paul or Parker.

20. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

This is a solid statement.