1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#2 seed is the most important thing for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HouStu_Rocket, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Don't worry guys, given the injuries and our coaching staff not good at making adjustments, all will be for naught as we will drop to 5th-6th soon.

2. JazzLakerHater

I think it's important to factor in the annual end of season collapse this team tends to go on. And it's going to happen, it's a McHale staple. Might get down to a 5th or 6th seed.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Don't worry, it was an Adelman staple too.

4. Asian Sensation

Not this year.... We're too good to drop.

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

To be seed 2nd or 3rd is very important in that we would be avoiding the Warriors in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Everybody gets that.

What is more important to us is to get our guys reasonably healthy asap. There are only a handful of games left, so it would be nice to get the playoff squad minus Bev in some games before the playoffs.

I trust that a 4th quarter team comprised of Harden, Howard, Brewer, Ariza, and D-Mo or Jones will get the job done on most playoffs games. Brewer will defend the opposing pg on d and Harden will be the de facto pg on offense.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Once we get T Jones or D-Mo back we'll be fine. I just wonder how long that's going to take.

Dwight is playing well and his return is being managed well. No one else can say they suddenly got back a player as good as Dwight. That might be the key to avoiding our annual end of season slump - Howard peaking at the right moment, having a PF back and the team being healthier.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

We better have at least T-Jones back by the time we play at San Antonio next Wednesday. By then he'll have been out for just under 3 weeks and we'll have 1 week left in the regular season. We need everyone healthy for the playoffs, but we also need them in game shape and playing as a cohesive unit(remember, he's only been in 4 games with Dwight the entire year).

D-Mo will hopefully be back no later than the game 2 days later when San Antonio comes to town. That'll be exactly 2 weeks since he went out with the sore back(we were told he'd miss 1-2 weeks). And again, there ain't much time left in the season at that point, so we need everyone in the lineup so we can start to figure out rotations and minutes heading into the playoffs.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

It comes down to coaching in the west. We have to play smarter and have smarter gameplan or we will drop.

9. count_dough-ku

I don't think we'll have an April collapse this time around. And even if we do, can it really be blamed on the team when the schedule is tough and a bunch of players are out due to injury?

As far as April predictions, I figure 4-4 is the worst they'll do. 5-3 seems more likely. Sactown, New Orleans, @Charlotte, and Utah are games they should win. Then it just comes down to the 3-game road trip from hell and that home game against the Spurs. I'd be stunned if they didn't get at least one of those.

10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I hope your right seriously but if we go 4-4 we are definitely dropping to 6th seed. We need to go 6-2 I say to hold on to the 3rd seed. 2nd seed we may be a little too immature on the court basketball wise (free throw percentage, turnovers) to hold on to that seed or get it back but we'll see. Rockets could do it but they have to mature in those weak areas.

11. count_dough-ku

4-4 might still be good enough for the 5th seed provided one of those wins is over the Spurs. San Antonio still has a game at OKC and one at home against the Warriors. They lose those and we beat them at least once while going 4-4, we finish with 54 wins to their 53. Of course then we're likely left without home court in Round 1 against Portland or the Clippers.

6-2 is doable, but it depends on when we get T-Jones and D-Mo back. If we had them available at Dallas and OKC, those games would scare me a lot less. The problem is it doesn't sound like they're gonna be back that soon.

12. aakhan786

aakhan786 Contributing Member

You're talking about avoiding Warriors is the 2nd round? There will not be a second round if we don't have the 2nd seed and face Mavs. Do we really want to face Spurs, Clippers, Blazers in the first round. Their PG's are going to eat us up alive.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agree in principle but I am pretty confident versus DAL and POR (even if we weren't HCA against POR). Just don't want to open versus SAN or LAC.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

We need talk the first round win first before thinking anything about the 2nd round match up.

15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

If we can get 5-3, then likely we are the seed#2.

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The odds of us being No. 2 is not that much different than the odds of us being No. 6.

17. count_dough-ku

I don't think so. That would require Memphis to lose at least 3 more games(and more than likely 4), the Clippers 3 more games, and the Blazers 3 more games. I don't see all of that happening.

18. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Not really

Portland still has to play the Clippers (somebody has to lose)
    Memphis still has to play the Clippers (somebody has to lose)
    SAS has to play us twice

Memphis, SAS, Clippers, Portland still have to play GSW.

So 6-2, maybe even 5-3 will keep us in top 3 for sure

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

In an ideal scenario, IMO Rockets should finish either 2nd and play Dallas who will be 7th (rooted to 7th) or drop down to 6th place and hopefully play Portland and hope they finish 3rd.

In both scenarios you stay out of GSW bracket until the WCF. Let SAS and GSW slug it out in the 2nd round ;)

Ideal Scenario A

GSW
    Rockets
    Memphis
    Clips
    Spurs
    Portland
    Dallas
    OKC

Ideal Scenario B

GSW
    Memphis
    Portland
    Spurs
    Clips
    Rockets
    Dallas
    OKC

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Clippers have a cushy closing schedule. We are limping with injuries. I really see us losing 3rd seed to the Clippers. Then of course Portland is locked in at 4th regardless of our record being better since they clinch their weak division. So 5th seed it is, with HCA to rip city. It's last years Round 1 playoffs re-visited. Them without their starting SG, us without our starting PG.