1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1300 KVET chooses Rome over Astros....

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Curly, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Curly

Curly Member

1300 AM in Austin has decided to broadcast Jim Rome instead of the Astros vs Braves playoff game. Please help me let them know how pissed we are in this area. Put in a little shot for the Rockets at the bottom as well.

Here's my little chip in email....feel free to send them your love letter, even if your not anywhere close to Austin....

chuckmeyer@clearchannel.com (this is the program manager)
    dustyblack@clearchannel.com (this is the GM)
    lisehudson@clearchannel.com (this is the station manager)

Chuck,

Rumor has it that you have decided that broadcasting Jim Rome laughing at his own jokes is a better marketing strategy, and more profitable than the MLB post season games between the Astros and Braves. Is this your St. Louis Cardinal lackey fandom shining through, or is your radio station's spine so soft that it can not preempt the Jim Rome show? I used to respect most of what KVET broadcast over the air. Now, it's apparent that you're sellouts. Is the KVET Marketing team so week that it cannot sell commercial time during a playoff game? I bet if the Longhorns were having a bake sale, your team would be the first one in to cover the event. Heaven forbid that we take that pin head off the radio for a playoff game. Has Rome given you your permission slip to break into his show for any World War updates? Oh how little this makes your radio station, and your programming ability look. How much revenue are you taking in to broadcast High School Football over the Astros. I know I set my schedule to turn in and listen to the next great 15 year old running back prospect! Nothing like taking a little trip up or down the dial to pick up the Astros game from that huge metropolis known as Rockdale or Beaumont, while your high school booster club gets to listen to little Johnny run the ball. Pathetic! Why not show a little sack and "not do what you have always have done", and listen to the public. That should just about cover it. Count me out.

PS...when the NBA season starts up, feel free to read this email again. Just substitute Rocket(s) anywhere you see Astro(s).

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My suggestion would have been to send him a nice note at first asking his reasons for not broadcasting the Astros game and what (if anything) could be done about it. I would have waited before sending the sarcastic email.

3. Curly

Curly Member

bobrek,
    Unfortunatly, that doesn't work with this crew. I've been busting their balls just to get them to acknowledge there are teams in Houston for all sports. Nice peaceful messaging went out along time ago. We get a few Astros games as it is, of course they are not broacast in favor of High School Football, Monday Night Broadcasts from Dave and Busters, Wednesday night Coach's show, and any other reason they can think of. They're worse than (dare I say it) Time Warner Cable!

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Nobody is as bad as Time Warner Cable. At least KVET is telling us that they've decided to show crap in lue of a playoff game. Time Warner cable taunts us with mentions of an Astros game being televised then yanks the rug out from underneath us.

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I emailed KVET last year about this topic. The guy gave me some BS response. He basically said KVET is forced to carry some programming. Then he said to relax because a majority of Astros games were going to be broadcast on KVET :rolleyes:

Screw them man. Hopefully Time Warner doesn't black out tomorrow's Astros game.

What channel is the game going to be on?

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm not here to defend KVET because they do in fact suck ass, but I think Rome has some sort of contract as to where he can't be pre-empted.

Other than that, the station is a joke. I love UT football as much as the next guy, but I'd much rather listen to Astros stuff than 14th call by some redneck here in Austin who 75% of his call asking if he's on the air or not. I was so pissed when 1490 left because they actually aired decent sports talk and the Astros were never pre-empted.

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I thought all playoff games were on national television, ESPN, Fox and NBC!?

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I do not think this is the case, for Rome was pre-empted several times in the spring for University of Texas baseball games, only to have the recorded broadcast played later that night. I do not see a problem with doing this on this occassion.

9. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

They are all on national tv

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

1300 AM sounds like a radio station to me :D

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I was responding to Smokey's post smart guy! ;) :) Oh yeah, and Time Warner does suck! Thanks for screwing up my League Pass last year freaks! :mad:

12. Smokey

I forgot to add that the guy at KVET did mention UT. He said KVET's contract with UT requires them to broadcast all events. I told him to put Astros games on KVET 98.1 FM. He replied that only UT events can be broadcast on the FM dial.

Clearly this is not a major league sports town.

13. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

That sucks that you guys in Auston dont get all of the Houston games but up here in NC I get ZERO yea a big fat ZERO. Internet radio is great but no some places want me to pay to listen. If I'm going to pay I'll get league pass but first i need Digital Cable (Like that'll happen).

BTW does anybody know of free radio links for Astros or Rockets games on the web?

14. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Oh yea and I sent them an email for you guys

15. Smokey

16. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

**** I was hoping you would say something else. I got to listen to the Rockets for free until about the last month and then it said I had to pay for the nba league pass (or whatever the radio version is called). Maybe it'll be free again this year.

17. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Tomorrow's game will be televised nationally on Fox Family (which is Ch. 37 for Time Warner I believe) at noon. It ain't gonna be blacked out.