1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[1/3/2019] Which team(s) are ready for a fire sale?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by steddinotayto, Jan 3, 2019.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Looking at the standings as of 1/3/2019, there's only one team in the West that's completely out of the playoff picture (Phoenix). Over in the East, there are four definite tankers (Atlanta, Chicago, New York and Cleveland) with Washington being in denial over their ineptitude. Outside of those 5 teams, which team(s) is ready to start looking at the February trade deadline?

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Wizards might be moving past denial, with the Wall injury. Or alternatively, they'll play better or at least more cohesively. Not that anyone is trading for Wall at this point.

As a fan of trades, it'd be interesting / nice to see Detroit and Charlotte stumble more - see Kemba move, Reggie move, maybe Blake move, etc. Int he West, will Minny owner become more drastic. And the Pelicans basically will have to do a lot if they aren't in the race come trade deadline... but they can't formally make AD his offer till the summer I think so no way they move him until he doesn't sign that massive extension... at which point if he does that they kind of have to move him. If Memphis keeps falling, you'd think they'd be due to finally move on from Gasol and even Conley. Not sure what value they'd get back though.

steddinotayto likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Do you think Memphis would attach a pick or two to move that deadweight of a contract called Chandler Parsons? I guess this question is more for @what . If they can move Parsons (plus picks) to, say, Cleveland for Thompson and Clark (or Smith) I think that could put them back in the playoff hunt.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Maybe... but I wouldn't.

Back int eh playoff hunt to a quick first round exit at best.

There's still the chance they miss the playoffs. Maybe its just bias, but I'd have or prefer to have all of the Kings, Mavs, Jazz, TWolves and Pelicans in over them

Parsons is a huge expiring next year. There is no long-term upward plan. Better to just miss the playoffs, try and get something of value for Parsons next year (like GET a first instead of trade one), and do a full rebuild. But I know teams are hesitant to do this, and I'm not sure of the business dynamics in terms of $$, attendance, stadium, whatever there in Memphis.

So maybe what you propose, but DEFINITELY with protection on the pick.

5. BigBum

BigBum Member

Fire sale? yes
    Take the future salary? NO.
    Want compensation? yes

Lakers did not make any move because they don't want to take the future salary.

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Fire sale or not, Brandon Knights contract has proved no different than Ryno’s, maybe worse actually. At least Ryno was healthy for the most part.

No team is taking that contract on before February.

Two more random notes that I’ll just attach here:
    1) I think it’s ridiculous to think we’d have a shot at Davis even if we do Capela + 4 1st rd picks; but it is nice that CC is better than any of the players Lakers have to offer.

2) Did you guys know Rob Pelinka played for the Fab Five team? Crazy I never knew that

malakas likes this.
  7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Did you think teams would be overly excited to get Knights contract?!?

And how exactly has it proved 'worse' than Rynos? It is smaller, and therefore can be sent out far more easily. Now whether the right deal materializes remains to be seen, but moving one lump sum of 20mill is much harder than 2 pieces at 14 and 3.5 respectively.

8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I expected him to be playable this season. Don’t act all tough. I was pointing out how a team will have very little interest in paying 15.6 million to Knight next year, and therefore we are not players for any significant fire sale. I’m sorry you’re offended.

9. malakas

malakas Member

Everyone will be buyer except the tankers. Especially Chicago.
    There is NO way that Orlando, Detroit and Charlotte will be sellers. These teams and their owners are desperate to make the playoffs.
    Wizards it depends if Grunfeld is told is going to get fired.

About Memphis it is not easy to tank because they owe their pick to Boston. Top 9 protected I believe. So if they want to keep it they have to decide on a direction very soon. Also since their lockeroom came to blows maybe they will get rid of the malcontents..

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

it would be a big mistake to package capela and 4 1st for davis. As good as he is, he's not worth that much. capela is perfect for harden because doesn't need the ball unless its a roll or around the rim. he even rolls faster thans davis....davis would want the ball more, in the mid range post ups, even 3s, but is that what we want? yes, he is definately a better player than capela, but 4 firsts? we need to upgrade the wings more in my opinnion. capela is a great value for his production. the most i'd give is two firsts with CC. 4 is crazy.

11. BigBum

BigBum Member

There is a chance Morey has to stretch out Knight contract to get luxury tax profit (no taxable franchise share it). Everyone says I am dumb. It is easy to shed salary by unloading Melo, MCW, Chriss and Nene.

12. BigBum

BigBum Member

There is a chance Morey has to stretch out Knight contract to get luxury tax profit (non- taxable franchise share it). Some said it's dumb to stretch out Knight. It is easy to shed salary by unloading Melo, MCW, Chriss and Nene.

I feel that there is no market or little market for Melo, MCW, Chriss and Nene.

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Wow. Really?
    Not saying you’re wrong, it’s all opinion but I totally disagree. I would totally surrender 4 firsts and Clint in a heartbeat. To have Harden and Davis in their prime for the next 4 or 5 years equates a good life.

Vivi, malakas and bj3175 like this.
  14. omgTHEpotential

It's true that Davis would want the ball more, but I don't think that's a bad thing. It would make life easier for Harden, he would be much fresher in the playoffs. Davis can also stretch the floor and can be used as a spot-up shooter. Davis can also do just as good of a job catching Harden's lobs. Davis has a bigger defensive impact than Capela. I get that you're reluctant giving up so much for him, but I really think AD would be worth it. He'd be a perfect second fiddle to Harden. Those 4 first rounders woud likely be late firsts (in the 25-30 range)... And it's extremely rare to even get decent bench players from that range.

15. jcmoon

it would be a big mistake to package capela and 4 1st for davis. As good as he is, he's not worth that much. capela is perfect for harden because doesn't need the ball unless its a roll or around the rim. he even rolls faster thans davis....davis would want the ball more, in the mid range post ups, even 3s, but is that what we want? yes, he is definately a better player than capela, but 4 firsts? we need to upgrade the wings more in my opinnion. capela is a great value for his production. the most i'd give is two firsts with CC. 4 is crazy.
    not for morey it isn't. wasn't capela a late first rounder? brooks? they are good at scouting. capela rolls faster than davis. i don't think AD's rolls are as quick. i get it that davis can stretch the floor. and yes better at D, rebounding, scoring. but i mean we still need those dratt picks. i don't think swapping AD with capela automatically makes us a contender. Would it be worth four firsts for that? we still another wing.

16. jcmoon

not for morey it isn't. wasn't capela a late first rounder? brooks? they are good at scouting. capela rolls faster than davis. i don't think AD's rolls are as quick. i get it that davis can stretch the floor. and yes better at D, rebounding, scoring. but i mean we still need those dratt picks. i don't think swapping AD with capela automatically makes us a contender. Would it be worth four firsts for that? we still another wing.

also why do you think all those 1sts would be in the 25-30 range? not necesarily.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets knew Brandon Knight wasn’t an NBA player when they traded for him. MDA didn’t want Anderson on the team anymore and Morey wanted to break up Anderson’s deal.

Knight was NEVER viewed as a viable player by MDA or Morey.

19. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO I bet they are.

Zoplicone and Vivi like this.
  20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

No. That’s what we would like to think but that just isn’t true. They definitely were hoping Knight would be ready to play.