1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Random Astros Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, May 2, 2015.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I know you're really high on Nottingham, but Manaea is a whole different level of prospect than either guy we gave up. And I'd argue heavily that Kazmir will provide more impact than Zobrist.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Nottingham recently turned 20 years old, is a catcher (and will likely stay there) and has an OPS of well above 900 with power and seldom strikes out.

You have to give up something to get something...... but this idea that the Astros didn't give up much for a dozen starts from Kazmir doesn't make sense to me.

Ultimately Luhnow and Elias know what they are doing better than I or anyone else on this board.... but Nottingham is a very good prospect (already top 5 for the A's).

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I really don't see giving up Nottingham and Mengden for an elite pitcher as a heavy price. Giving up one of Appel, McCullers, Velasquez, Phillips, Reed, Kemp, etc. That's a heavy price in my book. I'll take Springer over Zobrist any day

4. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Also who believes Kazmir won't resign here? I don't.

5. Nook

Nook Member

That is a fair argument and there are many people that would agree with you. I like Manaea, he is probable middle of the rotation fixture for the A's if he is able to stay healthy.

As far as who has more impact, Zobrist or Kazmir? I wouldn't be shocked either way.

I mostly did not like the package the Reds got for Cueto.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We barely even paid for Kazmir... Let alone overpay.

The Royals definitely paid more for Cueto than we did for Kazmir.

7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Royals system is pretty much a wasteland after Mondesi at this point. Combine that with the fact that David Glass is pretty well known to be a cheap owner and they won't be a contender long past this year (if at all). The number of upcoming FAs they have in the next couple of years is staggering.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Kemp? I don't consider him an elite prospect.

AJ Reed and Nottingham both were not highly viewed of coming into this season and both have played very well. I would not deal Reed either unless it was for a non rental.

I include Nottingham in the group with players like Velasquez, Phillips and Reed. I want a player with control for those types of players. Nottingham is putting up very similar numbers to what Phillips did last year at the same age and level.

Ultimately you sometimes have to pull the trigger... I just do not believe that players like Santana, Kemp, Moran, Hernandez, Hader and Fisher are as good a prospect as Nottingham is. That is my main point.... Nottingham is a legit prospect.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nottingham is the perfect player to trade now... before he advances further up the system and starts regressing before ultimately doing nothing in the big leagues.

Or he'll continue to get better.

The bottom line is that they need to continue to feed the MLB team when the opportunity to win it all is there... there will most definitely be at least one (probably a lot more) prospects that the Astros will ultimately "regret" they let go... but winning it all now can pretty much forgive any/all of that.

10. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

What if the way to get Hamels without giving up too much in the way of prospects is to take Ryan Howard back (maybe, probably, with some cash)? Wonder how much that would reduce the talent cost?

11. Nook

Nook Member

They have some nice international players that are lower in their system but they do lack many higher ceiling prospects in their upper levels. Manea and Zimmer both have been viewed as elite at different points. Zimmer doesn't excite me and IMO isn't a big loss for the Royals.

The Royals are going all in to win a title this year, Hosmer and Gordon both will be gone soon enough. I don't have a problem with what they have done or are doing in regards to winning, their window is small.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I wanted Manaea at 1-1 before he got hurt his draft year.

Getting him and Zimmer is a great return for a few months of Zobrist.

13. Nook

Nook Member

You first sentiment doesn't mean much, that applies to every player honestly.

I agree with your second sentiment, the point of your minor league system is to facilitate winning at the major league level. Also, you do have to strike while the iron is hot, teams that look like they have a large window often times do not in reality. I am glad to have Kazmir and may have made the same move, I am just pointing out that the Astros gave up real value for him. The Astros need to (within reason) do what they can to win this year. Is there anyone out there in the AL that you look at and say, the Astros cannot compete with? I don't think so....

14. Nook

Nook Member

Zimmer went in the Cueto deal. Zimmer is a future relief pitcher in my opinion.

Manaea has had injury issues and a problem establishing a 3rd pitch. He is still a good prospect and not a bad haul for Zobrist.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Zimmer wasn't traded in the Cueto deal. That was Finnegan, Reed, & Lamb.

I guess Zimmer is still a Royal then?

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I wonder what the going rate on Carlos Gomez is. Marisnick isn't hitting at all. People have given him a pass because he is so great defensively, but a .454 OPS since May 2 is simply unacceptable, nobody's glove is that good.

Gomez is also plus defensively in CF, plus he can actually contribute offensively. Maybe see if we can get Lind as well. That would give us a nice 2 man offensive upgrade, even if Lind is only a platoon.

Both guys are under control next season also, I would be willing to trade a pretty good package for that tandem.

17. Nook

Nook Member

That is why.... Zimmer was one of the names listed in the aborted deal.

18. Nook

Nook Member

From what I have read Lind isn't as expensive (prospect wise) as you would think. He would only cost $8,000,000 next season and would be a stop gap for Reed.

I ha

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Parra and Benoit would be a perfect haul for me. Get those two and prepare for battle.

20. Nook

Nook Member

*i have suggest Parra as a target with Lind thinking he will not cost much as a rental player and he is a good fit. Gomez is a better fit but have felt it wasn't worth the difference in prospect costs.

Still....

Altuve
    Springer
    Correa
    Gomez
    Lind
    Lowrie
    Gattis
    Tucker
    Castro/Conger