1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets fired their social media manager today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 29, 2015.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Time to play HORSE

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hah, no she got a higher paying gig.

DD

3. DaDakota

You don't understand context.

If I ran the Rockets, he would have been fired, but my industry is much different and more edgy, so he would not have been fired working for Descendent Studios.

I knew the Rox would fire the guy because he is forward facing and representing them.

We like edgy, it helps build our brand.

DD

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Suspected dirty secret: Chad was fired for phrasing that is similar to a rape meme.

"Shh it'll all be over soon"

The Rockets won't tell you this because of the negative press is will bring. They are thrilled I'm sure that people are focused on the gun and horse, rather than the words that were sad.

Chad won't tell you this because it hurts his image, but that's likely why he got canned. He is happy that people are supporting him over the emojis and that the discussion is going in that direction.

I am shocked the media hasn't latched onto this.

5. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Pretty great article about this on Mother Jones:

1 person likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Someone said Les was an animal activist? Insert 'Evil Alexander Laugh'

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Preach on, brutha!

8. bmd

bmd Member

Not surprising he was fired. The last thing the Rockets need is bad press because of the guy who runs their frickin' Twitter account.

If you have an easily replaceable job, you get canned quickly when you mess up like this.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Lucky gynecologists didn't get Maury fired.

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Agree. Sucks he left but that's business. The show is over.

11. MD_in_Training

The only bad press the Rockets got was firing this guy over a stupid tweet.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I know Banshee is not that big of a TV show, but the tweet is almost a verbatim quote from that show, used in two episodes...nothing to do with rape. Used identically to how Chad used it.

I immediately thought of that. The rape context is a really silly stretch of the imagination, considering the emoji's used and the fact a Maverick is a horse (in the Dallas context).

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It's not a stretch at all. I implore you to do some quick googling to find out what most people, at least on the Internet, would associate that with. There are extensive results that support this "stretch." Maybe it wasn't what you first associated with it, but that has commonly been used as a rape joke throughout gaming and the Internet.

https://www.google.com.tr/search?q=shh+it%27ll+all+be+over&safe=off&biw=1440&bih=789&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=hjFCVZKHJ8nSU7KpgegO&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAA&dpr=1

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/743986-sesame-street

http://gamersagainstbigotry.org/201...oon-is-a-rape-joke-and-extremely-problematic/

http://gamersagainstbigotry.org/2013/06/microsoft-rape-joke-e3-gamer-culture/

14. Nero

Nero Member

So it's from a TV show that almost no one has seen.. lol

Bad move #1.

So, in this show, is that quote - which is used in two different episodes - used at all in any sort of context having to do with putting down a horse?

I have never seen the show, but I will take a wild risk and assume the answer is going to be 'no'.

If that is the case, then it is just such a weird random non-sequitur that it just came off as creepy and... icky.

Bad move #2.

The guy probably should have still kept his job, but apparently it only takes two strikes, and not three, in that kind of position.

'Ok Chad, you've got the job. Just don't make the organization look like giant a-holes, and everything will be cool.'

Oops.

1 person likes this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I agree with that pretty strongly, even though I acknowledge many companies would fire in similar circumstances.

We each have to make a choice: do we want to live life primed to be outraged or primed to be delighted? They are very different paths. The internet, and twitter in particular, seem to encourage the former path. I suppose delight and wonder do not get retweeted, amiright?

16. DaDakota

Dachu - no matter how much you try to make it about rape, it is not, nor was not about it.

And MOST people that read it did not think or see it that way.

For me, I saw a guy whispering to his horse.....before putting it down.

DD

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

No, we're talking about Les's late mother, who in her honor, created a Horse Sanctuary named after her!!!! C'Mon Man!!!

To be fair to Chad, he probably didn't know but you can insult your own owner and his late mother like that.

#377 ipaman, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

DD's interpretation is exactly what most all people thought. The emoji's was the give-away :rolleyes:

And this is exactly as used in Banshee, except putting down a deer. So, yes, Nero, the show used it identically to Chad.

And btw, I already said Banshee is not that big of a show (too much nudity like Gladiator). I mentioned mainly because I'm interested in seeing if anyone else watches the show. Just mentioned as a TV reference. sheesh

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Rapehoresegate.

20. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Speaking of evil Les Alexander's laugh, did the video of it disappear?