1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale is one of the lowest ranked coaches in NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

His rating is 3.0 among the coaches this article ranked, which is the lowest number (with a few in the same rating).

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...hing-rankings-our-ratings-for-every-nba-coach

Kevin McHale

Team: Houston Rockets

Rating: 3.0

Comment: It was a little shocking McHale survived the Rose Garden debacle. The Rockets should have been considerably better than they were last year, and even if you chalk it up to unfamiliarity, the way they were unprepared in key moments defensively was just atrocious. The Rockets had Dwight Howard last season and were still bad defensively in the fourth.

The Rockets enter the season with a worse roster on paper, but one that might be better together. Putting those pieces together will be on McHale. The problem is that if this were a confidence poll, McHale might be last. McHale has clashed with some players in the past (Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic to name two recently), but he also built a really close relationship with some of the players, like Chandler Parsons... who isn't there anymore.

McHale doesn't just need to fight off the calls that he's why the Rockets aren't better this season. He needs to prove a reason why he's the guy for the job. He may have been helpful in recruiting Howard, but that part is over.

2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Goran Dragic never clashed with Mchale. Not sure where the article got that from.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sounds scientific with the decimal point.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The decimal is warranted because according to their scale McHale's only .5 away from being as good as Monty Williams

5. Pete the Cheat

I am assuming this is a 3 out of 100

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't remember Dragic ever clashing with McHale. In fact, I remember most recently that Dragic said he loved McHale and I also recall Lowry saying it was his fault they clashed and that he wished he listen. There are LOTS of reasons that McHale is a bad coach however.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Don't need an article to tell me something I've watched every game of. Mchale has not been a good coach. At times he struggles to achieve a mediocre level.

8. Rox23

Rox23 Member

McHale clashed with Lowry and Courtney Lee, not Dragic.

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

it's actually 3/3.. so he's the best!

go McHale!!!!!

10. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

And I'm a troll for pointing this out when Morey retained this guy?

1 person likes this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You are a troll for many of your repeated Morey bashing points, but disliking McHale is not one of them.

12. pippsux

pippsux Member

Not suprised, only Morey doesnt see that. How else would you explain not firing a coach after collapses late in the season....and yes a 1st round exit with home court and a better talented team is a collapse.

Mchale cant coach, he tries really really hard, but it aint happening.

Go Rockets!!!

13. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Thanks for the clarification. But Who's responsible for retaining Mchale's service again?

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

TROLL!!!

ah-hah, gotchya, just kidding... the answer is Murphy.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

We all know the answer, but keeping him 1 more year than people would like is not something he should be fired for.

I think it's pretty widely accepted we brought McHale here to be a leader and recruiter, not for his brilliant basketball mind. As of this point I think he has pretty much done what we brought him here to do. I don't agree with it 100%, but I understand why we brought him back for the last year on his deal.

The hope that continuity combined with a more balanced roster will do more for us next season than a new coach with an entirely new system.

You and some others with the ability to see into the future have repeatedly let it be known that this is wrong, but I'm willing to wait and see.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If we don't make it out of the first round this year, McHale is a goner.

Surprised he wasn't gone after the underachievement of last season, but the Rockets typically don't fire guys in the middle of their contracts anyway.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

CBS, ESPN, Bruce Bowen, media is fine to say McHale sucks and one of the worst coaches but don't you dare say it if you're a BBS member! :grin:

18. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

There in lies the problem with ppl who support Daryl Morey.

If Mchale wasn't retained for basketball reasons, then the best interest of the team was not put first. The Rockets can't afford to waste years with Dwight here. What you don't comprehend is our window of being a contender can be cut short at ANYTIME. Wasting whole years keeping a coach we ALL know isn't qualified is not winning basketball. Morey thinks he's still playin with house money, when he's not. Eventually players will become disgruntled and start complaining. You guys have given Morey a endless window but that's not how the NBA works.

19. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Morey's performance in this offseason is soooooo badddd. Even worse that we still keep McHale as the head coach. PATHETIC!

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I have been trashed repeatedly for calling McHale a bottom tier coach and one of the worst in the NBA and yet now most media outlets and knowledgeable basketball fans recognize this. And yet the delusional McHale apologists will claim he is a top coach. They know who they are and no need to mention their names here

McHale was a mistake to begin with and Morey not firing him much earlier let alone this offseason will always remain one of Morey's biggest mistakes in his tenure.

I have always maintained that McHale is a bottom tier coach but after the playoff debacle, I am convinced he is possible the worst NBA head coach currently.

McHale was and will always be the liability that holds this team back. He is a joke of a head coach and an embarassment to the Rockets in all honesty. Rockets have had a history of great coach like Rudy T, Adelman, Fitch, Harris etc and to even mention McHale as a Rockets head coach makes me puke.

1 person likes this.