1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer Crash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by trueroxfan, May 13, 2014.

1. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Hey folks,

Hoping someone here can help me determine if I need to take my computer in or if I can somehow fix this on my own. I am not a tech junkie, but I'm decently knowledgeable about computers. I built this computer about a year ago, last night I went to turn off my light w/ my head phones still on and they got tangled up and the computer fell to the ground, but it didn't turn off. In fact, it ran fine for about 15 minutes, then started freezing (was playing a game) every time I would try to Alt Tab out of the game, and at the beginning of each round (was playing CSS). I had a bunch of tabs open w/ flash media in Firefox, so I shut that off and the problem persisted. I decided to restart the computer and this is what happens...

The computer turns on fine, goes through the normal process of loading the motherboards, displaying the motherboard (MSI) screen, and then where the BIOS screen would normally show, it turns black. Sometimes (not everytime) after a while it will say Windows Failed to Load, and tells me to go through the Recovery process...here is the issue, I had Windows 7 on a flash drive (I don't have a connected Disc Drive, but I do have an adapter for an external one.

I tried loading Windows 7 via the jump drive and it gave me a bootmgr error. I have a Windows XP disc that I also tried loading, it wouldn't read it. I took my old harddrive from my last computer (ran XP) and tried running the computer through it, it would load the Windows XP screen, then the Blue Screen of Death...I figured this was likely due to the drivers and compatibility issues.

I checked all the connections, reconnected the RAM and Hard Drive and the problem still persists.

So in short, computer fell, now won't load BIOS, stops after the Mother Board screen, won't boot Windows 7 flash drive.

Hardware:
    -Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1 GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express
    -Corsair Professional Series HX650 650W
    -MSI 990XA-GD55 AM+3 AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD MotherBoard
    -AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX
    -Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM
    - Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX13C9B1RK2/8

If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it! My guess would be an issue with the Hard Drive, but BIOS isn't displaying and that runs through the MB right? Don't want to pay 100-200 dollars to have someone tell me I need to buy new RAM or a new HD or something.

If anyone has any ideas, or needs more info, please help!

1000x Thanks!

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You fried your RAM brah.

1 person likes this.
  3. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

How do you know? And is there a way to test that this is the issue before I go and buy new RAM? I guess that would probably be better than the HD, CPU, or MB...

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You said you were getting Bluescreen with the XP version?

Try to capture what the error is. Probably tell you what you need to know.

5. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

Try re-seating the RAM. Or you can try running on a single stick of RAM.

6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Yes, when I tried using an old HD that had XP installed. It would show the Windows XP loading screen, then blue screen. I figured there were compatibility issues with the MB since it had never been used on that MB. When I get home I will check the error.

What is the role of RAM in startup? Would a fried RAM explain why BIOS never loads -- I thought that was via the MB.

Thx again.