1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Console Wars Thread! PS4 vs. Xbox One vs. Wii U Fight!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Sony better hope they get their **** together before March. Titanfall is going to sell a lot of XB1's and that comes out March 11.

2. Andrew Wiggins

If it were Halo then I would agree. So this was a big game at E3? Really? E3 is great for the fanboys, but casual gamers don't pay attention to it. These days it's all about social media and reddit. And usually dominating reddit means you dominate social media and internet polls on IGN.

But let's be honest. I'm grateful we both get to enjoy next-gen consoles. Who cares which console sells more.

3. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I'm with you on this. Titanfall may turn out to be a classic and a system seller down the line, but all the non-hardcore gamers I know aren't lining up for an XB1 because of it. It's weird that in these debates it keeps getting brought up as a game-changer. It's like electrolytes in Idiocracy. Ha ha.

The only exclusives I ever wanted on XBox were Halo and Mass Effect. Thank the Gods, ME finally came over and Halo isn't much a desire over the last four years or so for me. I am glad though that Destiny is multi-platform.

Between God of War games, whatever Naughty Dog or Insomniac come up with and games like Infamous, the better exclusives seem to overwhelmingly be in support of Sony. And yeah I know Insomniac is planning to make multi-platform games.

In the end, it's personal preference and like AW, I'm glad we have good options.

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I can't remember if I gave my opinion (or extended thoughts on this), but as I said earlier, I think we overrate the impact a single game can have on sales. Titanfall will sell a lot of systems, sure. But...what is a lot of systems?

In this case, I'd expect that many who have already purchased a XBO plan on getting Titanfall (in fact, they may have purchased one BECAUSE of Titanfall already). In the US, that is currently around ~2M systems (not all 2M will buy it, but perhaps a decent percentage). On top of that, a lot of people probably will just get Titanfall for PC/360. $500 is a lot of money for one game, and some people might just prefer playing it on a system they already own (PS4 owners might even wonder about the future exclusivity of the series).

EA would probably be ecstatic if Titanfall put up something like Gears of War numbers (~6M global after 2 years). I think it has a good shot at something like that (maybe more depending on how it takes off on PC/360). I see it being a huge success for them (and MS). But I don't know if its impact on the "CONSOLE WARS" will be that large (relatively speaking, when looking at other factors), especially if we look at things on a global scale.

I think PS4 simply being $100 cheaper will probably have a bigger impact (and that impact is felt month after month).

5. ILoveWhiteGirls

Right now I have more friends on ps4 than I do Xbox1 and I'm looking to part ways with m ps4, not a good sign.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Um, Brawndo has electrolytes, its everything plants need.

1 person likes this.
  7. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

If I were in Houston, I would take it off your hands.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Titanfall will sell a min of 6M...probably more than 8M. It will be HUGE.

Not sure why Wiggins keeps saying casual gamers don't know about it....my 9 year old nephew can't wait for the game to come out so he can watch me play since his parents won't be buying it for him. And my nephew is nothing more than a beginner when it comes to gaming.

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

People are paying attention to Titanfall because of all of the hype. Just as they did with Watch Dogs and The Division initially. The difference is, Watch Dogs and The Division were cross-console, and both have been delayed huge amounts of time at this point. Meanwhile, Titanfall is in alpha and will be ready to ship in March.

People are clamouring for the first "console selling" game on either platform. Console exclusives matter greatly in the grand scheme of things, and it isn't necessarily one game that makes the difference - but the first one is extremely important because it gets the ball rolling.

I disagree with making the assumption that Sony has the biggest exclusives. The biggest exclusive has and will always be the Halo franchise. I also feel Quantum Break is going to make tremendous waves. There is also Project Spark, which I've played for hours and hours and is fantastic. It is like Minecraft on steroids. You can make your own games, and publish them for others to play - it is insane. Throw in Titanfall, Halo 5 and Fable Legends and you have some huge exclusives in 2014 for Xbox One. Out of all of these games - I think Project Spark is going to surprise the most people.

Many people put off buying consoles for the first 6-12 months because of the lack of games and/or the quality of games. When quality games start arriving, people start buying. Microsoft has quality games arriving first, and personally I don't think you can look past that.

I think Titanfall will hit 10 million on both PC and Xbox One easily by EOY 2014. I plan on buying it on both - as I did for BF4. I enjoy the different gameplay dynamics across console and PC.

I also think kinect is going to make a lot more sense to people when we see Cortana in use for the first time in April.

10. RC Cola

Yeah, I could see numbers higher than 6M, though at that point, it will likely be based more on increased sales of the 360/PC versions.

We haven't seen those versions, correct? Can't remember if Respawn is even doing the 360 version (though I read it was getting farmed out). Given how huge those userbases are, the quality of those version could have a pretty big impact on how many copies are sold. Could definitely do 10M+ if those versions are really solid.

But if they end up focusing on the XBO version, and the other versions are poor, buggy, delayed, etc., that might really restrict how many copies are sold (since the XBO userbase can only be so big at the point of release).

11. Svpernaut

They built the PC version first (which was what was playable at PAX Prime), so I have no doubt that the PC version will be just as great - if not better than Xbox One.

It is good you brought up Xbox 360, because Microsoft wants Xbox 360 to continue to be a valid gaming platform for at least two more years - so I would imagine they are going to do their best to make sure that Titanfall on Xbox 360 is executed well. If they can deliver on that, I don't know - but I know they still consider Xbox 360 extremely important for the long term Xbox brand.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

It's going to sell a freaking ton, 8 million+ sounds about right (people will buy it on 360 whether it's ported well or not just due to hype from the XBone/PC sales). I'm just guessing, but I imagine everyone I knew on Xbox Live (mostly competitive Halo/CoD players) will be buying it, and all of my friends I've been talking to on PC are (primarily competitive counter-strike players). These are mostly hardcore gamers like others have said, but with 80ish E3 awards, and EA's marketing I don't think they'll have issues getting sales. Respawn had been pretty good about their PC releases in the past (Up until MW2 I believe is when I began to hear complaints), I'm hoping their console development doesn't hamstring it. I do believe you're correct and they're only making the Xbox one / PC versions, and the 360 version is being ported by a third party.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I'm playing the TitanFall Alpha. ReSpawn (EX- Infinity Ward) are putting a lot of the elements that made COD: MW1 and MW2 that built that brand. This will pull in many of the casual gamers that COD did. Can't wait to see the full game and with everything included. You get the COD: MW feel with a blend of Halo and Robotech; with elements of Unreal Tournament and Tribes. It's a fun game that different than military shooters.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear, thanks.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I think I may pre-order this game.

16. RC Cola

I don't think you could make the claim that any IP will always be the biggest exclusive (other than as an opinion). Disregarding whatever even makes a game the "biggest exclusive," these things tend to boom and bust in the industry. Games that were HUGE 5 years ago are now not as big of a deal (possibly a dead franchise). Who knows if Halo will continue to be a strong franchise going forward.

Halo doesn't actually seem to have as much pull as it once had, and I could see that decline continuing over time. I actually like it a lot better than a lot of these other shooters (BF, CoD, and yes, even Titanfall), so can't say I like seeing it take backseat to those types of games personally. :(

Yeah, I think I'm just holding off some "what if" scenarios.

There is SO much pressure on this release. It a big game with a lot of hype. They have to nail the launch. And given the exclusivity, it will be especially important for XBO. All for a MMO(ish) game from a brand new studio, which is a ton of pressure in and of itself (how many times does that go smoothly?).

With those kind of pressures, it makes me wonder if Respawn might end up having to prioritize certain things differently than they normally would. Will EA/MS rush out the PC/360 versions just so they can launch sooner for the XBO? Even if Respawn doesn't want that, I'm not sure they have a choice. They're a brand new studio, and they're still beholden to EA (hence why this is even a next-gen exclusive to begin with). If Respawn was in control of all of this 100%, I wouldn't be too concerned. But we have EA/MS to worry about (EA more so).

Basically....it should be great on all platforms...but EA. Delays and/or poor quality on the PC/360 could impact sales quite a bit (though you're right, millions will likely buy the game regardless).

Side-note: Not really that surprised it was developed on PC first. That's pretty common, especially for these next-gen releases. That doesn't necessarily mean the PC version will be solid, though I was more concerned about delays or something along those lines (either due to priority for the XBO version, or MS wanting to push people to get the XBO version...though I doubt the latter will happen).

17. Svpernaut

Halo: Reach made $200 million in sales on it's first day... and as a spin-off game, that is pretty damn impressive. Halo 4 made $220 million on it's first day. Halo 5 will sell a few million copies in the first week. Mark it.

18. YourSecretLover

Is Respawn working on the 360 version or is it someone else? If it is somebody else I probably wouldnt get it for the 360

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Halo 4...the last game released and the "worst in the series" according to some, sold 9 million units in 2012. That's better than any Sony Exclusive by almost 3 million units (Uncharted 2) except GT5 around 10.9 million units in 2010. The best selling Halo game was Halo 3 at 11.9 million units.

Actually, the ULTIMATE system seller is........Kinect Adventures! Sold almost 21 million units. That will be out in the Spring, i think. LOL.

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

KA doesn't count, it came with the Kinect. People wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't a free pack in.