1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good News: Pressure increasing on Israeli Policies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Unlike you, I have a genuine interest in the well being of all civilians in that land regardless of their religion, ethnicity or nationality. Israelis and Palestinians shouldn't have to live in fear just because extremists in high ranking positions want to make more money or want to play string puppets in a demented game of trying to bring Jesus back. They shouldn't have to live in fear just because a bunch of rich terrorists in privileged political positions want to play Empire. Israelis shouldn't be shedding blood in order to solidify a religious state >> a type of political structure which most of the world has left in the past due to its handicapping of democracy.

Israelis and Palestinians are sick of this bull**** and so am I. If my intolerance of what I consider to be discriminatory and illegal national policies says to you that I'm anti-Semitic, then you have a serious problem with comprehension.

If anyone is anti-semitic it's the people who see this as a Palestinians vs Israelis issue because those people are only interested in prolonging an unwinnable conflict. I see the conflict as being between all the civilians in that land vs all the authorities in that land. My criticism of the Palestinian authorities has been well documented, not that you give a s***.

Let's talk more when you learn the difference between a religion and a nation.

1 person likes this.
  2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. More and more companies who work with Israel and even sell things there should be boycotted. Caterpillar who build thebig armored bulldozers used to detroy Palestinian homes are a target, thought I don't tend to buy their products.

3. glynch

It is frankly just stupid.

It is sort of like saying someone who advocates for raising the taxes on billionaires and more aid for the poor is a hypocrite if they don't sell all their possessions and give it to the poor. Also similar to someone who opposes war and who goes to a peace demonstration is a hypocrite if they don't quit their job and become a full time peace activist till their money runs out and then just work as little as possible at paid work for the rest of their life.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What do you expect when people like Mathloom get raised and being taught things like that?

Do you think this kind of brainwashing just goes away over night? Of course Mathloom is anti-semitic and hates Israel, just like most Muslims in that region - they get raised to do so. "The Jew" is the root of all evil, that is what they are raised to believe. The sad thing is that Mathloom is probably a step ahead compared to most people from that background, because he intellectually grasps that some of the things he was raised to believe are ridiculous. But he is still brainwashed, of course.

5. kingdragon22

kingdragon22 Member

:eek:

fine by me,

start your boycott with: Microsoft,Intel, IBM, Motorola, Applied Materials, BMC, Creo, Marvell, Cisco, HP and Nestlé + General Electric that are about to set up new Israeli R&D center in Haifa, the center will do basic research in medical devices, clean energy, and water technologies.(GE currently has 450 employees at seven centers in Israel).Philips has R&D Center for Healthcare in Haifa(only other r&d centers are located in U.S, the Netherlands, u.s and India, The current center specializes in 3D CT scanners.

speaking about medicine, please read this.

Israeli scientists developed the first fully computerized, no-radiation, diagnostic instrumentation for breast cancer.

An Israeli company developed a computerized system for ensuring proper

administration of medications, thus removing human error from medical treatment. Every year in U. S. hospitals 7,000 patients die from treatment mistakes.

Israel's Givun imaging developed the first ingestible video camera, so small it fits inside a pill. Used to view the small intestine from the inside, the camera helps doctors diagnose cancer and digestive disorders.

Researchers in Israel developed a new device that directly helps the heart pump blood, an innovation with the potential to save lives among those with heart failure. The new device is synchronized with the heart's mechanical operations through a sophisticated system of sensors.

Technology... With more than 3,000 high-tech companies and start-ups, Israel has the highest concentration of hi-tech companies in the world (apart from the Silicon Valley).

In response to serious water shortages, Israeli engineers and agriculturalists developed a revolutionary drip irrigation system to minimize the amount of water used to grow crops.

please boycott this companies and much more,you can quick search google, or maybe not. (google has 2 r&d centers in israel) find another web search, and don't use any of Israel products. you know the evil bad small country you love to hate, anymore.;)

6. g1184

g1184 Member

I haven't seen a post make an assertion, and then strike down it's own assertion, then try to re-assert it the way this post did.

That was amazing.

7. glynch

I wonder if you were raised to hate Muslims?

BTW a person can't help how they were initially raised. Many have overcome racist upbringings

8. glynch

Hey nobody ever said Israelis have not done some good technical work or created some worthwhile inventions. How does this justify ethnic cleansing and violation of human rights?

BTW if the Jewish Israelis did not violate the human rights of Palestinians and therefore have to spend so much of their GDP on militarism and a semi-police state, maybe they could contribute even more good inventions.

I am sure that apartheid South Africa came up with a few worthwhile things also, but his was no excuse for how they were treating the non-white population.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nope.

I dislike the religious ideology of Islam and its effects, not the people who happen to have been born into being members of that death cult, unless they aggressively pursue it. If they focus on the peaceful messages, which also exist, and ignore the death cult part of it, I have no problem with them.

Note the difference: disliking an ideology != hating people

10. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

There's something I've always wondered about your viewpoints in general. You always seem to have this idea that war and violence is the fault of some evil guy at the top, and if things were truly left to the people, then there would be peace between men or something. Not just Israel and Palestianian, but between men in general.

Why? As Clemenceau once said, "All men are indeed brothers - Cain and Abel! Cain and Abel!"

11. dback816

dback816 Member

It's what happens when someone takes his roleplay too seriously for so long. It begins to erode what little intelligence was there in the first place.

You should know wars are the result of some evil guy(s) at the top.

12. glynch

So is the general pessimism and negativity of conservatives, which you do a decent job of summarizing, some sort of defense of the mistreatment of the Palestinians, the topic of the thread?

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't think that if left to the people there would necessarily be peace.

I do think that if left to the people in the most democratic setting, there would immediately be more justice than there would be otherwise, and even if things get worse before they get better it will generally trend towards peace more so than if left in the hands of authorities. This is because authority makes itself progressively worse by default. It's not black and white as you seem to believe.

Ultimately what I'm saying is that, even if nothing changes at all, it's best for people to make those decisions. Reason being, in a place where decisions are in the hands of people, then science and education will have a purer and greater input into decisions.

This is all somewhat idealistic. But not more idealistic than the idea of institutionalized authority placing everyone else's needs above its own IMO.

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't think you're quite getting this. BDSers will take advantage of those things as long as it suits them, even if you consider it hypocritical. The idea is: incremental divestment, from least essential things to most. Naturally that means they would END with the things you list, rather than start. Some of those things don't even meet the criteria of BDS because some BDSers want to divest only settlement products. Some don't care about non-Israeli products branched in Israel.

From a human standpoint, I'm proud of the technological feats achieved by Israel. It is unfortunate that those things have to be tied to an Israeli government which cares little about its own people, and even less about others. The fortunate news is that the likely outcome of successful BDS would not be the disappearance of that technology - rather it would be moved and pushed forward in better jurisdictions with more stable economies.

It's very early in this movement so what they will start with is the non-essential stuff and then move on to more essential stuff such as the ones you've highlighted. For example, the presence of google R&D centers may even expand at the expense of Israelis - if the economy suffers, then google will be able to afford to hire people and buy things more cheaply. That's good for the world, and good for google, but not good for Israeli authorities.

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I get it, but is he trolling or does he genuinely not get it? That's the only reason I'm still responding to him, in case he genuinely just doesn't understand.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You must be speaking about yourself?

17. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

It's not a defense, because I don't care about the treatment or the mistreatment of the Palestinians. There are more abstract results of the conflict which interest me - such as how people can believe that self-determination can ever solve anything when they look at this conflict - and are why I jumped into this thread, but the conflict itself? It's a sideshow which gets good press headlines. Mathloon's viewpoints do interest me, because I find them so bizarre.

Now why is letting science and education have a purer and greater input into decisions a good thing?
    I would believe that the obvious answer to that would be "if they do, then the decisions that would be made would be more rational."
    This seems to work out at a first glance, but there is something odd.
    For if that is the answer, one can then conclude "if decisions are in the hands of the people, then the decisions that would be made would be more rational." Ergo, the people are more rational than their leaders.

I would posit that such a statement viewed from both an empirical and philosophical viewpoint is ludicrous. The latter, because if the people are indeed more rational than their leaders, and can make better decisions, than why have leaders? But this is obviously silly, because human society does need leaders. The former because well, one only has to look at the history of the irrationality of the mob.

18. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

ATW I come across your opinions in some posts and I know that you're an intelligent guy - just wish sometimes you'd stick to the fact argument rather than resorting to ad hominems to make up for the faulty logic. No matter what someone's basis for belief may be and/or how prejudicial it may be from the start, a fact based argument can lead to a rationally based conclusion that can be accepted for its fact based value, stripped of most bias.

That being said, I just came to add to this thread (seemed like the most relevant place for it) the latest row in US-Israel relations over the Israeli Defense Minister's remarks about Kerry, and the subsequent walkback.

If you look at any Yahoo news article's comments regarding this, it's a mirror for ATW like logic, where the comments focus on the Israeli Defense Minister being in the right, and Obama being a muslim and having a deep seated hate for Israeli and wanting the destruction of Israel.

Don't let your logic fall to the level of a Yahoo commentator. Rise above.

Furthermore, UN is reporting that the pace of Israeli Settler attacks on Arabs in the region is up 4-fold:

What I don't personally understand is how a government who chides the Palestinians for not controlling their own extremists, is "reluctant to confront" those that their own defense minister branded as engaging in "outright terrorism". If there is to be an equal concern for human life in that region, it has to come from both sides playing a part in reducing their extreme fringes and trying to protect the peaceful, hard working, and decent people that are on both sides of the divide. Politics should pursue peace.

#118 Rockets R' Us, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I never said any such thing? :confused:

20. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I know, not saying you did - rather, comparing your characterization of Mathloom in this post:

Maybe I'm not seeing what your argument is here, but personally it seems no different then the "Of course Obama is anti-semitic and hates Israel, just like most Muslims!" Yahoo'isms.