1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FOX]Olajuwon: Dwight Howard, Jeremy Lin 'combination is very deadly'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eomor131, Sep 18, 2013.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I hope so. I had really high hopes for him this year, but it's so frustrating at times.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

4. cw3k

cw3k Member

Agreed 100%, except where they play should be in your rear end.

5. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

You could always disagree with other posters, but stop flamebaiting.

2 people like this.
  6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You are just a Lin hater. Lin is an NBA caliber player who is more than deserving of playing on the NBA court, not in someone's ass as you haters imply.

1 person likes this.
  7. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

I think that McHale truly let him play point more tonight and push the tempo and when we do that we usually do well. Also, yes he is inconsistent but realistically, he's still the equivalent of a second year player in my opinion so hopefully that will improve.

8. Chris Jent MVP

It seems like physical conditioning to me.

Some games, he moves fast and is sharp, and we see a little bit of Linsanity.

Other games, he is slow and tired from the opening tip. I think the kid is just tired most of the time. Needs to workout more and his game will be more consistent.

9. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

It's not his conditioning. He's looked fast all year. The problem is whether he's fast & in control or fast & out of control.

This is Deja Vu, he has one or two game where he plays up to his talent level.. & then has a series of horrid games. I'm REALLY hoping he's turned the page.

I've said it 2 million & 37 times: We don't need Linsanity, we just need a consistent Jeremy. He managed the game today but more importantly, he didn't lose it for us. Quite on the contrary he won it for us. He was spectacular.

I really like Jeremy he's a great guy & I want him & Bev to be our future point guards. You think Houston wants another position to address? So let's enjoy this win & hope we see some more of this Linsistency.

1 person likes this.
  10. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

LMFAO, its ok it will get better.

11. C. Orientalis

C. Orientalis Member

No no, I'd rather have a bag of peanuts.

12. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

Lintelligent post! :grin:

Maybe Lin is just somewhat confused as to his exact role into the team. And so maybe McHale has found which role would fit Jeremy when he plays with Dwight (DH was the recipient of most of Lin's assists on the 3Q). Let's hope this will continue.

13. wapz

wapz Member

Linsistency. sounds good :grin:

14. Kerdaboy

Kerdaboy Member

Not sure what more Lin can actually produce. He is a clear forth on the team's pecking order and when options #1 and #3 play almost 40 minutes a game and #2 getting dedicated stretches of being fed the ball in the post, Lin is going to have inconsistent production. The offense isn't going through him. I mean, go look at any other team's forth option and see what numbers they are producing for the year. I'm personally quite happy with Lin as option number four.

15. Chris Jent MVP

During the most recent losses he looked like he was walking in mud. Just walking the ball up court and not pushing it. Giving way too much space on defense also.

During the wins, he runs upcourt quickly with the ball. Pushing the tempo. That is his strength. And sticking close to his man on defense.

The clear difference is energy and effort. Which are related to conditioning.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's that at all, he seems to always try hard.

Sometimes he seems to play a bit nervous and without confidence. He hesitates or questions himself and that's when he gets into trouble. Trying to force it and making poor decisions, or letting the defense own him a bit too much.

He's never going to be great and stopping penetration on defense. Guards will get buy him. He might get smarter but he won't get better at that one aspect.

But he can run an offense better. Tonight, he moved the ball better. He seems to have been working with D.H on the alley-opps - they have been connecting a lot lately. That could be a good sign for him if he can continually find howard.

Other than that he just has to keep getting better and more confidence in himself. Basketball is not a game you can really think at or doubt yourself. It's way too fast. You have to know what to do before you do it. You have to make decisions without thinking - it has to be instinctive. Basketball IQ doesn't mean you are smart and can assess a situation. It means you just understand what's going on on the floor at that moment and WITHOUT thinking make the right decision.

Lin isn't there just yet, but he seems to be getting there.

2 people like this.
  17. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

I see a lot of selection bias going on for both sides.

1 person likes this.
  18. visible

visible Member

Totally agree.

19. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

So is he the point guard for this team or the scoring punch off the bench? I don't think anyone can be consistent having to wear multiple hats on the team. He has shown he could do both it is now up to the coaches to figure what is the best way to use him.

Problem I see is that if he does play more of the PG role it might be harder to trade him since he will be more integrated with the team, being the scoring punch off the bench might be easier to trade him before the deadline.

20. adobo

adobo Member

Totally Agree. Jeremy Lin's worst enemy is his himself. The legacy he left with linsanity and trying to live with that hype, along with being undrafted and being overlooked by the top colleges PLUS has to have some effect with his confidence especially last year when he was coming off an injury in the offseason.

Every bad game he had and every strategic coaching move that involved him being placed in the bench played in his mind if he is good enough to be in the league and that perhaps linsanity was just a fluke.

Because of his work ethic, skillset and his desire to be a better player,we can see his progression to being a complete PG. The coaching staff emphasised defense, and we can see he has really focused on that especially the last few games. In turn we can see he is getting more minutes, more trust from his coaches which in turn builds on his confidence.

He is starting to believe that he can be more than just an average PG with a string of good games and more mins. I just hope that the next setback he has (even Chris Paul has a bad game) will not allow him to question himself.