1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

LOFs are pathetic. We just won the game and all they can talk about is some bs conspiracy against Jeremy Lin that doesn't exist. Nobody cares what your brother thinks or that you bought tickets to see Lin play. Take that **** elsewhere.

Oh, this is the same Knicks team that just got Melo back and beat San Antonio on their home floor last night

2. dantian

dantian Member

Good one. As a Lin fan, I fully agree his main issue is documented in his bad passing. More specifically, bad passing after drives. And this is closely related to his TOs and bad pull-up shots. He doesn't have a smooth balance between committing to the layup and keeping options open via keeping dribbles alive yet. Maybe it's because his handle still needs improvement. I'd suggest he hire Nash as coach in the summer, the way Hakeem teaches Dwight, Amare and LBJ. Nash was known to optimize his motions in the summer every year to reach the level he's been on.

3. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

But who gave him the contract? To be fair, Rockets chose to invest him at the price. So at least treat him fairly. I don't know what is going on inside the team. But from the outside looking in, Lin has been mistreated since the summer. Yea, a real good strategy and a good example to recruit future free agents:mad:

4. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Gut feeling? More of kitchen sink feeling. Just throw sth on the wall and see whatever sticks. LOL.

5. King1

Yeah, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but future FAs are going to ask James Harden and Dwight Howard how they like the organization and city. Jeremy Lin doesn't matter in recruiting. If he did then they would have brought him to the Howard meeting.

You guys are making a big deal out of nothing. Had we lost the game then I could understand the complaints.

6. DocRock

DocRock Member

Interesting read, wish he were more thorough exposing the flaws in his game.

I'll be looking for his midrange jumper off the dribble. I'm curious if he does it when Harden/Dwight/Parsons are in, or only in 6th man role when he's the only weapon on the floor.

I need more specifics on how his passing is a weakness. Assists per game is far too simplistic.
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8578844&postcount=37

Remember
    -He's not the primary ballhandler
    -He's going to lose assists to Harden/Dwight iso/post
    -Dwight doesn't want to PnR, Harden doesn't move off the ball at all
    -Harden/Dwight high FT rates don't count as assists
    -Nobody on the team is hitting 3's besides him, Parsons, and Brooks.

Stats say he does well considering limited opportunities.

Turnovers are a major issue, and they're going to remain an issue until he gets a chance to play through his mistakes in the same system, in the same role, with the same core teammates for multiple seasons.

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

This was posted in another thread I think. Good article to read tho.

8. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Anyone who isn't blind can see there is an agenda/bias against Lin. Even fans of other teams can see it.

You don't put up 14 and 4 on 56% shooting in a half then get benched for all the 4th quarter for a few mistakes in favor of an underperforming 3rd string backup unless there is an agenda or bias/politics.

Let me know the next time Parker is benched for Mills or Conley sits for Bayless the entire 4th quarter of a tightly contested game.

9. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Shouldn't his drop in assists be explained as to playing a more 6th man role? Looking to score more than distribute. Last year was different than this year

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Perfect guy to spark the bench!

11. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Do you think other players not paying attention what is going? I complained simply because I worry about the long-term success of Rockets. I want them to play the right way consistently, win or lose, so we have a chance to go deep in the playoffs and win a chaimpainship.

12. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

I, and others like torocan, have been consistent about whether or not you can use certain statistics given their sample size, regardless of which "side" they are on. I had a post a few weeks ago where I said that I believe that Lin and Beverley are, on the whole, probably equivalent defenders (in terms of points/wins), but that I had no statistics to back this up because of the nature of publicly-available defensive stats. Similarly, there was a recent post that tried to make Harden look like a lazy mofo because he doesn't run around the court like a headless chicken, and I said that it's a meaningless number because there's no correlation to team performance or winning. Or a while back people were trying to make a mountain out of the molehill that is RAPM data, and I tried to point out that it takes several years (or pretty much an entire NBA career) to properly contextualize those numbers.

Some of us are comfortable living in a world where there are both facts and opinions, and sometimes the two aren't the same thing or even compatible.

Maybe you would realize this if your mind wasn't so simple that it needed to lump an entire group of people into a ridiculous category.

There are, literally, like five people who regularly post who are hardcore Lin fans who blindly support everything he does to the extent that they denigrate everything else. That is the same number of people who consistently make blatantly racist posts, and about 1/3 the number of people who complain about the "ridiculous LOFs" regularly instead of just putting them on ignore and moving on with their lives.

Seriously, why don't you guys just put those people on ignore and move on with your lives? There are posters who are literally racist whom I've had to put on ignore, and you don't see me constantly screaming about how the quality of this place has gone down and everyone is out to get Asians, because that'd be doing the exact same thing they are doing - categorizing people based on superficial characteristics (like race or join date) and then assuming a bunch of things about who they are as human beings because of it.

The level of persecution complex from some of you guys is starting to get ridiculous, especially when comparatively the level of "LOF spam" you see has actually gone down significantly since the worst days.

1 person likes this.
  13. King1

So what you're telling me is that you think McHale is willing to risk losing games because of some personal agenda against Jeremy Lin? Sorry, you have to be brain dead to believe that. This team is expected to win and if they don't McHale won't have a job. He is putting players out there that he feels gives the team the best chance to win that particular game or that he feels the situation warrants. Do I agree with a lot of it, no, but I'm also not an NBA head coach. There is a reason he is where he is and others are sitting behind a computer b****ing and moaning (after a win no less which is beyond pathetic).

Personally, I would have kept Lin in and had we lost I would be here (and justifiably so) complaining but we won so it's all moot. At the end of the day all I care about is seeing the W in the win column. I don't care if McHale trots out 4 beer vendors and Clutch the Bear.

14. King1

If you're asking if I think other players are paying attention to Kevin McHale's substitution pattern of our PGs the answer is a resounding no. I can assure you that they aren't. Like i mentioned before, FAs will talk to Harden and Howard when deciding to come here.

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

WHAT ARE YOU FKN TALKING ABOUT I ONLY STARTED WATCHING ROCKETS BASKETBALL ON JULY 2012 WHEN HEAVENLYBASEDGODJLIN4 CAPTURED MY HEART

inb4 Scola highlights package from yours truely <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/f2XjczVt7k8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. pacmania

pacmania Member

Mchale is JAGWHS....Just A Guy With A History Of Stupidity

17. ILoveWhiteGirls

Actually I don't think this is a bad strategy by the coaching at all. It prevents injuries from happening. Again we're going to need everybody healthy come playoff time. I do recall Dwight Howard being bench for the whole 4th quarter, can't remember that game though but nobody on CF batted an eye about it.

18. koby1868

koby1868 Member

He had 5 fouls 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter of that game you're referring to. We had no choice but to bench Howard. Then we went on a run and there was no point to being him back in. Lin should have played the 4th. Brooks made just as many mistakes.

19. calcium

calcium Member

The better Lin plays, the bigger the spark off the bench, aye? :)

20. ILoveWhiteGirls

He had 5 fouls? Damn, I didn't remember that. I guess that's why they sat him out for the entire 4th, lol.. Poor Lin, oh well/ it'll make him play with fire next game anyways.