1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Second All-Star returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 26, 2013.

1. Gil

Gil Member

Lin would be voted in as a starter if he had the full Chinese vote like Yao did. I mean didn't Yi Jianlin or whatever almost beat KG to a starting spot and he was a much worse player than Lin is.

The funny thing about this stupid debate is that Lin would be an all star if he stayed in NY. He could put up 20/7 pretty easily in a different system. Only difference is that it would come with 7/8 turnovers every other night.

As flawed as he is he's clearly a more exciting/likeable player than Harden, Dwight or Chandler it's one of the main reasons he's so popular along with the fact he played in New Year and the whole Linsanity thing. It's stupid to claim he's only popular because of his race when he was a National story and the face of the NBA for about an entire month.

2. Gil

Gil Member

*New York.

3. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

I think a better way is to put it like this:

Yi Jianlian was popular due to his Nationality, not race. China alone could get someone tons of votes.

Jeremy Lin's race is a factor in the U.S. because he represents a racial minority.

Internationally, his Chinese background helps him a lot and so does him being a role-model. What people forget is that there are Chinese all over the world from Canada, Europe, Australia, Latin America etc.

If his background was a Vietnamese-American, that hype train isn't the same.

So in respect to other posters who ask not to lump all Asians together. Jeremy is not that popular in countries like South Korea and Japan. Asian countries that do have significant of ethnic Chinese, that's definitely a factor.

4. webattorney

webattorney Member

response

Some black people like Lin also. If the All Star had a requirement that said "vote for players who you think are top 3 players in NBA", I would not vote for Lin. But that's not a requirement.

5. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

One of the few instances where I wish I could rep.

Well said, Gil. It's not Jeremy or his fans' fault that Harden doesn't get as many votes as Jeremy, and I don't think Harden gives a ****. There are NBA players who tweet often asking their fans to vote for them, and Harden is not one of them.

H3ll, I don't think many people give a ****. The total number of votes seems to be down from previous years although there are now many more ways to vote.

A storm in a teacup.

6. timyeung

timyeung Member

And considering you keep posting here attacking Lin, as a LOH you must be obsessing as

well. I'm just defending Lin every time you attack him, because I am a fan of defense in

basketball. I know you don't value defense as much as I do. 8)

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I am not a lin-hater. I think he is a good point guard. You have failed to realize my last 5 post in this thread where I have mentioned that he is a good point guard, but not ALLSTAR caliber. You, just like all the other fan boys, take everything so damn personable. The most sensitive fan base I have ever seen.

I value good basketball players. James Harden is a superstar talent, and Jeremy Lin is a little above average point guard. I would much rather have James Harden, if I were to start a team. You would rather have Lin, and that proves my point and confuses me at the same time. I thought Asian's were smart.

8. Deniz

Deniz Member

Why is Asik not in the top 5? He's an Asian, too :grin:

9. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

Lin is an American, not Chinese. Maybe that is why he is not getting as many votes as Yao and Yi did.

10. timyeung

timyeung Member

You are entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to mine. My opinion is that James Harden, while he is a prolific scorer, is not a superstar until he puts effort on defense. What is the use of being a great scorer if the guys you are supposed to be guarding keep scoring their career highs against you? That's why I think Dwight Howard is the most important member of the team. I also believe Asian culture promotes education strongly, which is why they are considered "smart."

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

No Harden is the far better player and if I were to start my team I would pick Harden over Lin any day. And your wish for objectivity is foolishness because the vast majority of NBA fans are casual fans who know very little about other players in the NBA.

LOL instead of using facts or analysis to back up your points to you call people delusional. And you rely on a half a game sample. Real mature and real intellectual of you.

People are upset about the ignorance that is disguised as trolling. Lin is also a christian and a Harvard grad. Lin is incredibly popular in Boston and amongst the Harvard/ Ivy league community and you know for a fact they support there own. There are way more christians than there are asians in the world and Lin is one of the few christian players in the NBA whose lifestyle actually truly reflects christian ideals as far as the public is aware of. And a lot of people love that about him.

How has he not been playing at an all star level? His numbers are fantastic better than anything he did during Linsanity and even Morey said during Linsanity he was playing at an all star level. So if Lin is playing better than he did during Linsanity where Morey said he was an all star how is he not playing at an all star level now? And yes there are finite number of spots for people to get voted in to teh ASG. But recently LBJ said Demarcus Cousins is an all star this year. He likely won't be at the game but that doesn't change the fact that this year he has been playing at an all star level. Really don't understand why that is controversial.

That is a part of it. Another part is also his skin color as well as his IVY league background as well as his religion as well as his unique story. There are many reasons why he is popular.

SMH

So as a black woman (which I also am as well) do you not find it extremely ignroant when people say that the only reason black people voted for Obama was becuase he was black ignoring the fact that blacks overwhelmingly vote democrats. There is nothing wrong with saying Lins race plays a role in his following, but it is obtuse to pretend that his education, religion plays a role as well.

Him being a troll doesn't excuse his ignorant statements

Explain to me why Kobe, DH12, and CP3 are popular in Asia? Even CP3's son has his own t-shirt created by CP3's asian fans.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

Seriously. He is as much of a california girl as katy perry is (ignoring the fact that he is male). But please facts aren't welcome here.

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And the list grows...

Lin has a short leash and is pulled the second he makes a mistake
    Harden never passes to Lin
    Harden only passes the ball with 3 seconds left on the shot clock
    Hardens defensive assignments consistently have a career high/his scoring is always negated by his defense

Only on clutchfans can something that happens every once in a while be construed into something that happens most, if not all the time.

Gotta love it.

That being said I will continue to vote for all my Rockets for the all star game, carry on with the nonsense.

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

because theyre the best players in the nba? (not kobe)

lmfao your post is the worst post ive seen today, this is enough 7th grade logic for me today, thanks and goodbye Clutchfans

15. tmacfor35

Id assume someone was delusional/moronic for thinking Jeremy Lin was better than James Harden. I don't need facts to prove that.

I stated that Lin looked like a D-Leaguer in the first half.

0/3 0 points, 3 TO, 3 assist.

Do you disagree with this? I don't need facts, as it isn't hard to watch a game and see that Jeremy is too inconsistent to be considered an ALLSTAR.

Posters like yourself, make me dislike a player that I really enjoy watching play.

The truth is, in the Lin Fan Boy scale of things

When Jeremy fails- "Harden isn't passing him the ball, Terrance didn't catch that perfect(it was a bad) pass, Dwight's touches are hurting the team, Jeremy is on a short leash because McHale SUCKS!" Or my personal FAVORITE, "but Harden/Dwight/ Insert players name here played bad defense too" when aforementioned player had nothing to do with Jeremy's play. It is annoying!

When Jeremy plays well- Everything is ok on Clutchfans, because the real fans can judge good basketball, they dish out warranted praise.

Ya'll aren't the real fans. You make Clutchfans unbearable at times. I am too STUBBORN to give up the good fight of telling Lin fans of how annoying they are.

There is a good site, called www.Jlin7.com where you can go blame James, Dwight, and Chandler for Jeremy's bad nights. Stop doing it here.

16. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

Not surprisingly, this very general post, which called no one out and took absolutely no side in the 'debate', was apparently interpreted as an attack/challenge or something of the sort to someone here (I wonder who :rolleyes:), as they left me this message: likewise with Lin fans. the loudest, most active posters are on Beiber fan, stalker level with all the Mcfail/Harden/any other PG hate on a daily basis. Guess u have no complaints about them cuz u think the same way.

I don't believe I've ever had anything but positive, supportive things to say about Harden, Beverley, TD, etc. And, I've been called stupid for starting McHale threads like this one...http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=236836 But, hey, don't let stuff like that get in the way...

Word.

17. timyeung

timyeung Member

So what is your opinion on Harden's defense, or even his defensive effort?

Have you considered that you might be annoying when you keep posting that Lin is

inconsistent when the statistics show that he currently has the second highest TS% of all

PGs in the NBA? Well, since you just posted "I don't need facts", that tells me everything

I need to know about you.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Has Jeremy Lin played 1 good playoff game yet?

Just checking...

:grin:

19. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

who cares about all star retruns. usually after the first one, it rarely changes. and it only matters for the top 2-3. as long as lin isn't there, then it doesn't really matter who he's ranked over. kobe is the one that's a travesty. if he can miss it, then curry can take his spot. then harden, love, lma, lillard, parker, davis, and like dirk can make it.

20. tmacfor35

Harden plays horrible defense for the most part. At times, when it matters he steps it up and it isn't a liability.

True shooting percentage is a flawed stat, as it favors strong free throw shooters/good looks/fast breaks. That sure sounds like Jeremy's offense.

Having two superstars who take the attention away, I would hope such and such can hit wide open threes and make layups. Do you take turnovers in to play? Not only do they prevent a shot from being taken, they also create excellent chances for the opposing team to score. Jeremy is turnover prone, and makes a lot of reckless decisions. You are proving my point, you have made me disqualify Jeremy when I don't even want too, to prove a point.