1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jared Zwerling: Asik to be moved real soon, Atlanta/Millsap makes sense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I don't believe this. The lottery ain't deep enough this year for us to sacrifice our chances at winning by giving up both Asik and Jones for nothing back but a pick. Unless Morey is SURE that we can get a star along the level of LMA or Love with that pick.

2. RocketsFan69

RocketsFan69 Member

I really dont think its a smart trade, unless milsap goes to the bench.
    We have an emerging star power forward in Terrence Jones.
    We should trade Asik for someone who can score in a hurry of the bench such as jamal crawford or jr. smith. Or a lock down perimeter defender, ex tony allen or deng.

3. RocketsFan69

RocketsFan69 Member

Maybe to a team like utah, but other than that I dont see it happening

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Millsap allows TJones to backup Parsons for a few minutes a game, but still be the starting 4. I like it a lot. Millsap is a highly under-rated player. Going back to 2009, he's been on the positive side of +/- and I think he plays even harder for winning teams based on those numbers. This could be a good deal for us, especially if we can get a pick out of it. He does everything well, thus can be plugged in, in almost every situation. He's even added 3pt shooting to his arsenal this year.

Morey should get what he can, but he cannot go wrong with just Millsap for Asik straight up. The trick will be convincing Terrence that his position is being bolstered, not replaced. Also, finding a backup paint owner becomes a priority.

5. basketballholic

I did not say nothing back but a pick.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

That bench is also. Dry one dimensional. Only shooters. Lin can do other things, korver is redundant

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Do you guys think that we can get Jared Sullinger (plus a salary like Courtney Lee) for Asik or would that be asking for the moon?

8. Play07

Play07 Member

How y'all feel about iggy & millsapp?

9. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

You guys do realize Paul Millsap is averaging 16.5 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 1 bpg

I understand you don't want to take minutes away from T. Jones. I love T. Jones, but championship teams have depth. As of now, Millsap is better than Asik and I actually think the Rockets need to sweeten the deal to get him. Its laughable how you guys overvalue players on this team every single year.

Well let me give you some perspective. Asik averaged 10 ppg, 11.7 rpg, and roughly 1 block last year playing significant minutes at the 5 spot. We considered him to be awesome because of his defensive presence.... but that is about it. He is a complete liability when it comes to offense relying majorly on putbacks, easy dunks, and the rare jump shot.

If it were me, I would offer Beverly + Asik for Millsap and a pick that is protected. I think that is fair and doesn't overvalue our players. I would also still start T. Jones because I love how he is playing, but you need Millsap there because essentially now, Asik is doing nothing for us.

....and to the guy who said "iggy & millsap." Man oh man. wow

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Houston has serious title aspirations this season. If Asik was not raising a ruckus then Houston would probably not be in the trade market, except for steals of course. Do not expect any sweeteners to a trade other than swapping first round picks. And D-Mo is not going anywhere. Houston has to have a backup center. Do not be taunted by Alcoholics paranoid delusions. They are just that.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Why would the Rockets do that? Sullinger is a low ceiling NBA player and Jones is showing real potential. I am befuddled by your suggestion.

12. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

The Crack is strong on this one

13. Spooner

Spooner Member

Reading the article got me thinking. Given how bad Memphis has been this year, and their desire to replace Zach Randolph's contract with a younger 4, the article mentioned a rumor of Randolph going to the Pelicans for Ryan Anderson.

We all know that the Pelicans were interested in an Anderson-Asik swap, and honestly I think Asik fits better next to Davis and a young core over a 32 year old maxed out Zach Randolph.

Morey has said that at this point he wants to put the best team on the floor immediately, because you never know what can happen to your players/team. Having said that, Randolph is one of the best stars available that no one seems to be mentioning and he comes at a position of need. Could there possibly be a three way trade with the struggling Grizzlies, where we land Zach Randolph? I'd assume Lin would be going out as well if this were to happen to make salaries work, but it would make us instant favorites to win it all IMO.

Beverly/Brooks
    Harden/Garcia
    Parsons/Casspi
    Randolph/Jones
    Howard/Randolph

Thoughts?

14. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

I would not offer Beverly. I do agree with your point on Jones and a perceived minutes decrease. In case anyone noticed, Mchale and most of us prefer Jones playing the 5 compared to Dmo because he can protect the rim. Jones can get minutes at that position, having a big bodies vet at the 4 allows for that to happen. The team can go from Milsap/Howard to Howard/Casspi to Jones/Milsap to Howard/Jones.

Against some teams, like when Miami plays Lebron at the 3...Jones can play the 3.

Jones is still young, less minutes won't hurt him...it will just help him. As Milsap and Howard decline that kid is going to ready to take over this team.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Possibly, but probably not. I just cannot believe that the Griz will abandon their defense first philosophy for Anderson. That trade would make them a markedly weaker team. Equal offensive production, but noticeably weaker on the defensive side of the court.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Only one ball in an NBA game.

17. hoopstar39

hoopstar39 Member

Would we be able to get horford with jones, lin, asik, picks or is there absolutely no way Atlanta will let him go if not for a lottery pick?

18. NewAge

NewAge Member

Nothing against Milsap, but he's just too small. Size matters in the NBA.
    Sure, he put good numbers on bad teams, and has great attitude, but still...
    I don't see him having any success against the Splitters, LMAs, Z-Bos, Blakes, etc of the league...

I wish we could keep Asik and have the twin towers work somehow. Splitter/Duncan, M.Gasol/Z-Bo, R.Lopez/LMA, Blake/DAJ, these are all very big frontcourts, that we'll have trouble against. Heck, when we lost to the Lakers they played Gasol and Kaman against us. Trading big for small is bad deal, no matter how skilled Milsap is...

1 person likes this.
  19. Spooner

Spooner Member

Agreed, however I'm only bringing this to light because of the fact that the Grizz have implied that they want to get out of Randolph's contract to pursue a cheaper younger 4, and a solid SG or 6th man given their lack of scoring on the perimeter and bench.

Anderson has been great this year although it has been early and Memphis has shown interest in pairing Gasol with a stretch 4 on a friendlier contract.
    Lin and Anderson for Randolph.

Who says no?

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

So, you believe that the Rockets can be improved by decimating the bench and future draft potential to acquire a marginal all star? NO!