1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Press] My Cover Story Season Preview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It's long, so here's an excerpt. Also has month-by-month predictions. Whole story here:

http://www.houstonpress.com/2013-10-24/news/houston-rockets-preview/full/

Dwight Howard kept everyone waiting. Expectant reporters and camera operators sat patiently inside the Toyota Center on Rockets Media Day, September 27, 2013, while Howard stood within eyeshot. Moments earlier, he and his new teammates had moved quickly from makeshift photo booth to green screen set taking a variety of promo photos. By the time Howard's six-foot-ten-inch frame reached the hallway outside the media room, the process had bogged down.

But instead of glowing light boxes and professional photographers with expensive camera equipment, it was an iPhone and a pair of giggling employees from the catering company who held Howard's attention. He grinned wide and happily posed for every shot they wanted. "Thanks for the great lunch," he said before entering the press room and his next stint in front of the cameras.

Everything about Howard is larger than life, from his size to his outgoing personality to his enormous, pearly-white smile. But when he finally sat down to answer the questions at a jam-packed media center, he was the opposite of gregarious. He spoke barely above a whisper as he laid out the Rockets' plans for the upcoming season.

Dwight HowardVegas RocketsOklahoma City ThunderJeremy LinNBA Finals
    "We all have the same goal, which is to win a championship," he said. "We understand it's not going to be easy, but we have an opportunity to do something special if we stay together."

6 people like this.
  2. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Jeff , thanks for the read! Thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't wait for Oct.30

3. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

clicked the link to give you a click/view... stayed and read the whole thing. thanks for posting it.

4. dje243

dje243 Member

Great article. Great writing.

5. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

6. RedNickNY

RedNickNY Member

Nice read.

He has the Rockets going 11-7 in Oct/Nov. A game by game prediction on the forum would be a nice complement to the article. I assume the tail end of the back-to-back games are the low hanging losses easy to count. Which other games are the Rockets predicted to lose?

Curious why there's a halo effect around the faces of Harden and Howard. I can see them just fine without any editing but perhaps there's a marketing angle I'm missing. Anyone want to take a crack at guessing?
    [​IMG]

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That was done by the art director, so I'd be the wrong person to ask. :)

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Great article jeff! I'm interested to see more of Asik's and Howard together it seemed liked it got easier the longer they were on the court but against a team like Memphis would be better

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Jeremy Lin decided to give Howard and Harden some of his goodness.

I've heard that if he coughs on you, you live another 100 years. If he pees on you, I heard you go to heaven.

10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Great article. :)

11. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

You need to stop it with that stuff Jeff. How are Feigan and McClain going to earn a living competing with writing like that?

12. pickymen

pickymen Contributing Member

Thanks Jeff, i really enjoy reading it.

Looking at the monthly match-ups, it seems almost unfair that we are playing the elite teams. The West is tough, but i look forward to an exciting season!

13. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

LOL WARNING! PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO HALO CAUSES EYE STRAIN!

believe me it hurts lol!

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Our guys don't look healthy at all :( Faces all ashen.

15. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I'm pretty sure there's a halo around Parsons too. Or he just has wonderful glowing skin.

16. Job713

Job713 Member

If you stare long enough at the whole picture without blinking, a halo forms around all four of them.... try it.

17. Granville

Granville Member

Excellent writing!!

18. alethios

alethios Member

54-28 record? I'll take that. I definitely think that's possible with this team. I enjoyed the read and really like feeling the buzz that's happening now with the Rockets.

19. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

I haven't been this excited about the Rockets since the Yao/TMac days...

Whilst I wish we can start winning right away, a part of me thinks, with Morey not finished dealing, and this team not having enough time to gel, it may be several seasons before we can be considered elite.

On another note, although I admire Morey for always trying to improve this team, is there any chance at all we can return to the good old days where we can keep more or less the same squad for several years, and give them a chance to really gel and build teamwork...

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Can't wait for the regular season to start!

Great work, Jeff!