1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Psychology] Driving downtown

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bandwagoner, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So hypothetically if you worked downtown and your friends, who also work downtown, are too cheap to get the company contract parking in their building, making you the driver when going to lunch....aaand hypothetically they are jerks who sometimes make you wait curbside when picking them up

(sometimes clogging a lane)

I think it is actually better to put on your blinker instead of a hazard signal while clogging the lane. Something in peoples minds make them feel better about going around you and getting ahead if they know you are also trying to get ahead as opposed to them knowing you are happy where you are and where you are is causing them problems. The only issue could be the guy not in a hurry, willing to block two lanes of traffic who stops to let you in.

2. SacTown

SacTown Member

Are your friends Asian?

3. Bandwagoner

No, and I am not sure if you are saying Asians are always late or are bad drivers.

This thread deals with illegally stopping near the curb in downtown, not driving so the latter makes no sense, and I have never heard the former as a stereotype. Ever.

I am just talking about a kind of modified game theory. People who think they are getting over on you by going around and keeping you from merging out of the lane probably feel better than people who are blocked behind a car with hazards on with the driver looking like:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I cannot stand when people clog a lane waiting to pick people up. I yell at my driver to honk at them when I see that garbage

1 person likes this.
  5. Bandwagoner

Exactly. Everyone hates it, but unless you see someone getting in the car, wouldn't you feel a little better if you thought your driver was actually swinging around in front of them and keeping them stuck where they don't want to be?

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This is why we have so many ******* drivers.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Does this involve your van?

1 person likes this.
  8. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

That made me chuckle.
    "Honk at them Jeeves, I am displeased"
    "Very well, sir" beep beep
    I think you're right about the feeling of getting over on the other driver thing. Like when you're changing lanes, people will gun it, even though they are 2-3 car lengths back, and have been going the same speed for the past few miles, just so they don't feel like you got in front of them.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

When I lived in NJ/NY I learned if I wanted to change lanes (left), I would put my right blinker on. Houston drivers are like angels compared to some drivers in NJ/NY and especially Boston. Those are some of the toughest drivers I've ever dealt with in the USA.

10. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

You're not supposed to yell at the Metro drivers, it's distracting.

1 person likes this.
  11. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

FAIL. quoted the wrong person... that was meant for bigtexxx

1 person likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And it cost you rep points. That was a good one, but the failed quote did you in.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yup, was about to rep you too. But...

14. Bandwagoner

I guess bigtexxx might be joking, but honestly there are more Town Car service cars than taxis downtown and they are not very expensive.

Most guys are getting at least 150 a month for parking but when you get into senior management or VP spots that goes up pretty high. If he lives in River Oaks which is pretty close, he would not really need to be Bruce Wayne to use a car service everyday.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You can walk to lunch when you're downtown.

If I found myself in that situation, inconveniencing other drivers while I wait curbside, I'd put on my hazards and not care one lick what the guy behind me might think of it. If I put on a blinker to trick them, how will I even know that it worked? And, what if they go out of their way to accomodate me and then they're confused when I don't accept. I'd rather be called a jerk by other jerks than be called a jerk by someone who was actually trying to be nice to me.

1 person likes this.
  16. Bandwagoner

That is the only problem. If someone tries to be nice, I mentioned it in the OP

I agree you pretty much have to use hazards, but people are much less pissed at morons than aholes.

17. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

I'd be more pissed if the person i front of me had blinkers and I waited for them to change lanes but they never do. If they had hazards, I at least know I have to try to get around them immediately.

That being said, make your co-workers walk to the parking lot with you. Driving them to lunch doesn't mean you have to provide door to door service.

18. Bandwagoner

LOL, I think the nearest lot is 10 blocks. Hypothetically.

19. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

was in NYC over the holidays ... no way in hell would I ever own a vehicle on that island. I'd be a changed person for having driven there...and that change would not be for the good.

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I doubt Fiesta Cab drivers even understand you.

Brah.