1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best and Worst Fans in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinywang, Mar 6, 2009.

1. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

best
    rockets cause i think we've always been pretty good crowd for both the home and away team but im probably being biased.
    for some reason i like new orleans fans
    lakers? (they're very supportive of kobe but i thought it was funny with they boo'ed kwame brown that one time)

worst
    detroit for their brawl
    knicks
    jazz (classless, punkish, rude, cocky)

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How do you define "best" fans?

If its passion, supporting your team, and giving them a great home court advantage, Jazz fans have to be near the top of the list.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

We cant have best fans.

-Arena doesn't get filled up until second quarter.
    -Fans in front row would be seated and clapping even if Brooks made a game winning dunk from the free throw line in game 7 of the NBA finals.
    -Fans leave the arena early instead of staying and giving the team a standing ovation after a great game.

Also, Knicks have some of the best fans. They cheer for outstanding performances even when its against their home team. I remember they went ooo and ahhhh after Hakeem moves when Rockets beat Ewing and Knicks at MSG in 94 to go 15-0. They have done the same recently with Kobe and Lebron. Knicks fans are also some of the most well informed. Sucks that they have had to endure thru crappy teams recently. They are passionate and they boo their own team when they rightfully deserve it. But they also support them like no other when they leave it all out (Knicks Bulls series of 90s).

#3 Zboy, Mar 6, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  4. Steve_Francis_rules

From what I've seen on tv, both the Rockets and Hornets play in front of a half empty (or late arriving/early leaving) crowd that is horrible at providing any sort of atmosphere.

5. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

in my honest opinion

BEST ( as in loudness)

jazz

warriors

cavs

raptors

knicks

mavs

hornets

( most dead arenas)

rockets

hawks

grizzlies

lakers

spurs

t-wolves

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Best:
    Kings hands down.

Worst (towards their own team):
    Hawks, Knicks, Sixers

Worst (towards other teams):
    Lakers, Jazz, Spurs

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think this is one of the better list right here.

I can attest for the Rockets, Lakers, Grizzlies, and Hawks being the worse. For some reason, the Rockets had better fans pre-2000s in the Toyota Center. Even before the Championship, they had good attendance numbers.

I live in Atlanta, and watch the other three all of the time. LA is pretty dead in crowd, like alot of other sports. It doesn't seem like they are all that in too sports. It's seem like more of social scene than watching the team win. Grizzlies, probably because the team is never any good and it realy isn't a bball town. Atlanta is probably somewhere in between LA and Memphis.

I say for the best fans would be ... Golden State, Utah, Seattle (defunct), Boston, Phoenix, Charlotte (old Hornets), and Portland.

Most of the best fan bases tend to be in North (east or west) or the cities with extensive tradition (Philadelphia, Boston, New York, and Chicago).

8. jose

jose Member

you can add celtics to "Worst" list after chanting "USA USA USA" when Nene, Z and some other players were @boston on the free throw line.

9. ILoveTheRockets

Best Fans
    --------

Bulls
    Miami
    Nets
    New York

Worst Fans
    ------------
    Jazz
    Indiana
    Detroit
    Philly

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Purely from what I've encountered on message boards, rudeness/niceness scale, etc... not a measure of fan support mind you.

Worst:
    Indiana
    Detroit
    Mavs
    Jazz

Best:
    Lakers
    Spurs
    Rockets
    Kings

11. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

I don't pay much attention to opposing team's fans, but I have noticed tha smaller cities that don't have any other pro teams are very supportive of their team.

Kings - the Adelman/Webber era - I remember Arco Arena was a MADHOUSE during those days with the cow bells... there were some classic battles vs. Dallas

Spurs - I know many people that are from SA here for work or school, and all of them are Spurs fans. They are very loyal and gung ho fans... whereas youd have to go on a major search just to find a big Rockets fan even in Houston. I'm sure much has to do with their success and that there is no other team there... but I wish the Rockets had more success like that.

12. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

Anyone who doesn't think the Thunder have the best fans are nuts. Those guys are rockin every night and their team sucks. You wait until they add one more player to Durant/Westbrook/Green they will be a team. I think they still have 4 first rounders over the next 2 years and at least one of them will be very very high.

13. OlajuwonShake34

Warriors and Kings probably have the best fans of all-time.

Jazz are not bad fans, they have bad class. Not really bad fans, just bad people, If that makes sense.

14. vinsanity89

vinsanity89 Member

yo im from portland and there, they got the best fans! 55+ straight sellouts!! i was at the rockets game and it was loud as [f-word]!!haha broys 30ft game winner? omg! :eek:

15. Steve_Francis_rules

You think that might have something to do with it being their first season in OKC?

16. Mr.TripleDouble

BEST
    - Golden State
    - Oklahoma City
    - New York
    - Sacramento
    - Chicago

WORST
    - New Jersey
    - Washington
    - Philadelphia
    - Dallas
    - Houston (arrive late, leave early)

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a little surprised at all of the hating on Detroit. They've supported the Pistons pretty well this decade and always seem to be loud. They're much more passionate than other teams you guys are mentioning.

In terms of "best" fans, I would say that Golden State, New York, Boston, Chicago (always sell out even though they haven't fielded a really good team since Jordan), and Sacramento, who were consistently great until the team headed south.

I won't count Oklahoma City until their honeymoon period wears off.

18. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

well I've seen about 20 different teams ranked 1 on ya'lls list. So I don't think anybody knows. Teams have best fans when their team is winning.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You can't put your own team on a "best fans" list. Nothing destroys the credibility of your opinion quite like that.

My stab:

Best fans:
    Mavericks Fans - They know what they're talking about (which automatically excludes Spurs, Jazz, and Celtic fans), and they're passionate about their team. While they are competitive and irritating, they aren't usually rude or out of control.

Kings Fans - They're just a nice bunch. They can talk basketball, and they're usually pretty rooted in the team.

Detroit Fans - Detroit fans love their team and they love them for the right reasons. They are competitive and they want to win. They know what real basketball is and want to win the old fashioned way.

Worst fans:
    Spurs fans - they cant tell a basketball game from a episode of Gilligan's Island. I am truly baffled by the things I have heard them say (try having a discussion with a Spurs fan about Bowen). While they aren't particularly boisterous or classless like Jazz fans, they're clueless as hell. Also, why is Manu Ginobili on every billboard in San Antonio? Talk about overrated.

Jazz fans - this goes without saying. Least classy fans in the league. I would like to kick them all between the legs. See: Any Jazz hate thread. Their franchise doesn't even deserve its name.

The jury is out:

Rockets fans - Ironic that they hate McGrady so much, because they show some of the same character flaws - giving up too easily and needing someone to blame things on. They exist in many fragments - the Yao-only fans, the Tracy-only fans, the Francis-only fans, the Olajuwon-only fans, etc to a much higher extent than most other teams (aside from Kobe-only fans). Every loss is a b****-fest, as if many fans forget that the sun will rise again the next day. Also, the deadness of the arena and the lack of enthusiasm around the city in general speaks volumes. Still, there are plenty of good fans that have fallen between the cracks and are here on ClutchFans. One day we'll need to reclaim Clutch City.

Lakers fans - while there are hardcore fans to be found, how many of them ONLY exist to root for Kobe? Most Lakers fans I know believe that Kobe is the Lakers and all other players exist to serve him. That's not how a team sport should be played.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I've always thought the best fanbase was the one that cheered just as loud when their team was going through hard times. Winning makes even the clueless fringe fans buy jerseys, making the arena look good - like an ugly chick in a Lambo.