1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cardinals @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 7, 2008.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

We're 29th in the league in team OBP.

We're 29th in the league in team batting average.

We're 20th in the league in runs scored.

We knew we had a limited pitching staff to begin with. If this team is going to win, it's gonna have to hit.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

We might actually score more runs if Bourn and Pence got on base more often. Loretta is playing terribly as well. Glad we won in arbitration

I'm praying this is just a slump with HP. Man, he does NOT look comfortable at the plate right now...reminds me a bit of Ensberg. I hope the comparisons stop there.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

:D

Mr. Meowgi...serving the greater Houston area as a single unified voice.

4. Buck Turgidson

Where are these Pence/Ensberg comparisons coming from? You would be hard pressed to find 2 players who are more dissimilar.

And you're puzzled why they aren't burying Villareal after 6 games? Really?

5. MadMax

Pence is swinging at everything. He's not remotely selective.

The criticism of Ensberg is that he let too many good pitches go by. That he was TOO PATIENT.

6. Major

Major Member

What exactly are people expecting from Villareal? He has a 4.5 ERA and 1.13 WHIP. Last year, he had a 4.24 ERA and a 1.40 WHIP. He's basically performing the same as last year.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What the Astros need though is for Villareal to have a negative ERA.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Funny, you're sickof them but you still go into the Astros game thread to post about them. ManCrush?

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I tend to like consistency. I kind of hate flip-flopping, i.e. win one...lose one...win one...lose one.

So, I'm only happy if we are winning two in a row or more or losing two in a row or more. Since we are losing multiple series in a row, I'm kind of happy. If we lose out the rest of the season, then I'm happy.

I'm just not happy if we win one...lose one....win one...lose one...etc. etc. etc. . I guess you could say I don't like being on a rollercoaster.

Even though I may be happy we are consistently losing, that doesn't really make me satisfied overall. I would much rather we consistently win. I just don't want to be put in a situation where I say "we're pretty good" one day and "we suck ass" another day while alternating that every day. I would much rather win two...lose two...or be streaky.

In summary, win one...lose one...repeat lather rinse...pisses me off. Be what you are...but don't be average...and don't continually cancel a win one day with a loss the next. Or, you will feel my wrath. :mad: :D

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I guess I don't blame the Astros. Sitting here looking at my Mike Scott action figure I can't stay angry. I love the Astros. But enough is enough. The Rockets are having a great season without Yao etc and are pretty much being ignored in favor of Astros loss talk. I just don't get it.

11. Major

Major Member

Sports radio started preferring the Astros when they chose to disassociate themselves with NASA and instead become train-oriented with Union Station. It seems the space connection to NASA is still holding the Rockets back.

12. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Don't even get me started on that.

13. MadMax

After Obama gets elected, we'll rename the Rockets, too.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

limited starting pitching staff. the revamped bullpen was expected to be a strength or, at the very least, an improved area.

well, so far, we've bailed valverde out twice; blew a 5-2 lead in chicago; lost 3 games that were tied as late as the 7th inning and then last night, kept serving up bp for pooljos.

i'd say the pen has been every bit as slow-starting and ineffective as our offense.

15. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Pence is going to get sent down to the minors. He should spend more time working on his game and less time drinking and partying. He has potential to be great but it still takes work, practice, and dedication.

Can anyone find the initial thread when we got Valverde? Seems like there was a Dbacks fan telling us that Valverde was a headcase and that Arizona got all the could get out of him last year. The Dbacks lead the league last year in 1 run wins, but Valverde always made it interesting, would have the bases loaded with 1 out and get a miracle double play to save the game - that type of stuff happened often from what I remember. It was never a smooth 1-2-3 close.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I believe that was Desert_Rocket.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Just a few games guys. We've seen a number of guys go through FULL April slumps (hmm, Bags and Bidge anyone?) and then come out of it very quickly. Shoot, Lance had a 1st half slump last year. It happens! He does look uncomfortable and is swinging at bad balls.. give him time, let him work on his swing...it'll come around.

As for the bullpen, I was really hoping for the Geary of 2 years ago I think it was.. he was a solid setup man and he's still young. So far he hasn't shown that (incl. spring), but he certainly deserves a shot. At least Wright has performed somewhere around expectations. Valverde needs more chances before he can get any kind of grade for sure. New team, pressure situations...could easily just be first game or 2 jitters. Now it's time for him to work it out though.

Villareal, I didn't expect much more than this from him. Wish we had a better option. But we just have to make do with what we have for now cause we need to build up the farm system.

18. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Yep...we'll have to.

I guess in Clear Lake we'll have the Johnson hair care, dry cleaning and tire center, because we won't have need for the JSC. ;)

19. johnmvp

johnmvp Rookie

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I was talking about how he looks uncomfortable at the plate, not taking called third strikes 3 out of every 4 at bats :p . Ensberg usually looked uncomfortable and anxious when batting (then just looked at perfect pitches).

Pence, this season (though I have only watched 6 games so far), looks uncomfortable up there as well...like he isn't seeing the ball as well. Though he does swing at least...

Major- re: villareal , no I don't expect him to be a 1.21 ERA pitcher...I just don't understand why we use him so often later in close games when he usually gives up runs. I have no problem with him being in the pen, I guess I just don't get why we use him WHEN we do (timing). I guess I am unhappy with how he is used, not him per se...I didn't have high expectations for him

#200 Blake, Apr 10, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2008