1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Up in the air on Battier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by baller4life315, Nov 24, 2007.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

First of all let me preface this by saying that I love Battier as a player. Regardless of the Rudy Gay thing, he's one of the most dependable and important pieces that we have on this team. He's the kind of player that teams win championships because of. Between his intangibles and "team first" attitude i'm extremely proud to call him a Rocket.

That having been said, i'm beginning to wonder if we're using him right or at least placing the right personnel around him in order for his massive minutes to not become a detriment.

Is starting him and playing him 40 minutes a night ideal? He's almost strictly a spot-up shooter. Everybody knows that. To make matters worse he's been getting scorched by his assignments this year. His shooting percentages are down a bit. At this point would it really be a stretch to try starting Bonzi (struggling, I know) for a game or two and bringing Battier off the bench for his energy and shooting?

I know we haven't seen Battier's best basketball so far and i'm confident that he'll improve but you still have to wonder if he's being used correctly.

With Rafer/T-Mac/Battier/Hayes/Yao being our featured unit you have arguably three offensive liabilities on the floor. Basically, you can't have three players on the floor that aren't going to score much. Logic would suggest the first move we should make would be to shuffle our PG rotation but RA has been reluctant to do that so far.

Battier is always going to be Battier. The glue guy that shoots well, plays defense and does all the little things. What i'm concerned with is Bonzi's slumping play that is partially the result of an inconsistent role and minutes given. My main point, I suppose, is to find a way to boost Bonzi's confidence and get him out of this slump. Bonzi is a proven scorer, impact player and starter. We would still have Battier's energy and shooting off of the bench while hopefully establishing Bonzi as our clear third guy. Bonzi is good enough to be that guy.

Rafer is clearly the main problem. I understand that. I also understand, in theory, why RA has stuck with him up to this point. If he intends to stick with Rafer then why shouldn't the idea of changing Battier's role and expanding Bonzi's be considered an option?

2. lpbman

lpbman Member

I agree he's playing too many minutes... I don't think he's all that healthy for one thing.

But I also don't think you reward a player who's sucking with more minutes (Bonzi). I'd give Kirk Snyder some playing time, especially in place of Mike James when he's at the two. I think you can get him enough minutes to get comfortable if he takes all of James 2 guard minutes and 4-5 from Battier. I wouldn't mind him taking minutes from Head at this point, either.

If I had my choice, I'd give Novak a call tomorrow. I'm sure most people on this bbs would disagree with me. Rockets spacing has been terrible lately.
    And yes, Rafer is killing us.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

Bonzi's offense has been killing the Rockets. He's only played 3 games where he shot very well and the last one was 7 games ago against the Bucks.

[​IMG]

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

I like the idea about another option at the 3 but I'd prefer that player to be behind Battier if he's kept...

If there is any truth to the Andre Miller trade rumors. Then Philly might be planning to kickstart a youth movement.

Head +Snyder + Novak for Kyle Korver

Korver doesn't play D but he can put up 3s playing either 2/3/4.

Head, Snyder, and Novak are young players with potential. Head has another year on his contract, Novak a team option, Snyder expiring. 76ers dump Korver's long term contract.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Good post. I personally would look to trade Battier for the right deal. The slower members of the group will view this as an indictment on Battier. It's not. He's a good, smart player who plays his role every night, but he is a luxury that this particular offensive starved roster cannot afford. He also happens to be the only expendable player on this roster with trade value. An athletic swingman that can get his own shot, someone like a Rudy Gay, would substantially improve this plodding outfit.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So you are saying you are not one of the slower members of the group?

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Sigh. :(

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was the biggest supporter of Bonzi last year. I said we don't need boyscouts (Bonzi was out of shape) we needed basketball players. I said play him. He single handedly took apart the Spurs in Sacramento.

With that said...

If you take out Battier in favor of Wells I will cut my wrists in frustration and pain. Wells does not fit in a major role. Not with this team. He best asset? The ability to cause turnovers for the opposition. Not his scoring, rebounding, or post prowess. Take out Battier. See how bad we look then...

Nothing is worse than a player that thinks he is better than he is. Wells is that guy. He takes the worst shots in Rockets history since... Well... Since TMAC.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Brooks/Francis/Tmac/Scola/Yao

Let's give that a try.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

Wells is fighting for every rebounds with teammates. He is trying to pad his stats, because it's the contract year for him. I cant stand him shooting that 18 foot J. If we want to be negative, Rockets actually hasnt played well as a team so far. The Utah game, without Tmac dropping 47 pts, it would've been a loss. The san anton game we won, they just played poorly. BUT, I still believe we will get it together.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sweet. Lets put a rookie at point guard (the most important position in the NBA) next to Francis someone who has clearly shown the least BB IQ since... Well... Francis. Stevie is top 10 all time in TO per game. Sweet. Lets just bring David Carr back as QB while we are at it.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Do you have any other suggestion that we havent tried and failed so far?

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Thats genuinely beautiful. You are a true Rockets fan and I respect that so much. Me... I feel like a priest who has lost his faith. I have always been strong, never jumped ship, and always defend Houston. But something isn't right here. The passion, heart, physicality, work ethic, presence, and cohesiveness isn't their. But YallMean, I applaud you. Even though I am not a fan of starting Brooks/Francis.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

We played some tough opponents. The Miami team, despite their abysmal records, is still a good team loaded with talents, and Shaq exploded once every blue moon on us tonight. I see the PG problem needs to be addressed. Other than that, I think we are fine. I am really encouraged by Scola. We still havent figured where our shots are. Once we do, we will be really really fine. This is team isnt as bad as the record. But they'd better hurry now. While's it's still 2007, but it will fly by quickly, and we dont want to wake up in Feburary being a borderline playoff team.

15. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

You know what, I don't if its because our role players have been playing so poorly or what, but some of the other team's knuckleheads are looking really good to me right now. For example, Ricky Davis. I have watched enough basketball and know that this guy isn't what we call a high IQ guy. He takes some ridiculous shots considering he isn't close to being a superstar, yet I keep wondering why we didn't trade for him instead of James or ask for him in the James trade.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Interesting thread and one I've been thinking about.

The problem with Shane is he never looks to the rim when he's got the ball. Last night, the Heat were severely overplaying McGrady attempting to deny him the basketball, constantly having 2 guys on him. There were a couple plays were Shane winds up with the ball at the 3 point line and he is trying to hand it off to McGrady with McGrady's two defenders plus Shane's defender right in McGrady's jock and subsequently in Shane's jock since McGrady was flying out from underneath to get the ball. Shane turns completely around back to the basket in attempt to get the ball to McGrady. Literally 60% of the defense was behind Shane in the backcourt. If he would have turned around and faced the rim, he could have taken a 3 dribble drive to the bucket and crammed it. But he wasn't even looking for it. That's just not good basketball. When you have that on top of Rafer, it really jams up the O.

Shane is too talented to just stand around and shoot the spot up J. He needs to be looking for his shot and looking to finish off the dribble to create more space and help keep the defense honest.

17. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

Rudy Gay? If Memphis didn't want him so badly and work out a trade with the Rockets, then JVG would have drafted this guy over Gay anyway.......................................................

[​IMG]

No telling how many "Fire JVG" threads there would have been with his stats.

2007-08 Statistics
    PPG 5.1
    RPG 3.60
    APG 2.3

18. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

your words about battier are way way too kind. he is a fringe nba player, and nobody wants to admit it. the truth is, battier is still living off of his reputation as a duke standout, and gets by because he's a well-spoken breath of fresh air alternative to all the thugs who can barely put a sentence together who comprise the other 99% of the league, and he's a nice guy who hustles. problem is, he's terrible at basketball. you remember ryan bowen? well, make him slightly better at d, and a better spot-up shooter, and you have shane battier.

he's unathletic, incapable of creating his own shot, and nowhere near as valuable defensively as anybody who thinks otherwise is misled to believe. he is good at drawing charges, and nothing else.

the fact that he's starting on any nba team, much less playing 40 minutes/game on one who was planning on contending for the championship, is just plain ****ing nuts.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I like Shane a lot but he shoudn't be playing so many minutes. Most of us expected Bonzi and him to split things fairly evenly. But Bonzi is so terrible there isn't any choice but to keep Shane out there 35-40 minutes. Shane is what he is. Our Shane problem is actually a Bonzi problem.

20. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

finish the stats buddy....16 minutes/game

battier: 35 minutes/game: ppg 8.8, rpg, 4.6, apg 1.6

need i say more? oh wait, i'm one of those idiots that just doesnt understand the intangibles that shane battier brings. sorry. you just can't look at a statline for him and understand how valuable he is. my apologies. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: