1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie] No Country For Old Men?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Anyone seen it yet? It was just released in Houston in only 3 theatres I think. I'll probably see it Monday. I hear it's great.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YBqmKSAHc6w&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YBqmKSAHc6w&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Looks interesting.. but I don't get the title.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You will. At least you do if you read the book.

There is no way this movie disappoints. One of my favorite books of all time adapted by my favorite writer/directors. One review called it a funnier and stranger Fargo. I can't wait.

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Anyone know where its playing?

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Here you go.

6. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

The Coen Brothers are my favorite. I'm glad to see them get back to what made them great.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not to derail, but I just read a review for this and it was a dual-review with Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. That movie sounds very good.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I saw it a couple of days ago (NCfOM, that is).

It's fantastic. If you liked Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, & Fargo, it's more in that realm of their films... but I liked it maybe better than those.

They stick almost exactly to the Cormac McCarthy book, which is a good idea. It just really works.

If you're interested, please see it on the big screen b/c it's pretty freaking amazing to look at, especially if you're a fan of west texas like me.

By the way, I think "No Country for Old Men," is a line from Keats, but I think that's not how Cormac meant it at all. Like someone said, this is 1980 borderland, and it's basically becoming no place for an old sheriff (sp).

I'm going to see it again... But then... :eek: I bought the book the day it came out, and then I read it twice straight through. I'm one of those guys who has a Cormac fixation. I wish someone could make Blood Meridian into a film.

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I really didn't like the trailer, but some people I know in Dallas said it was the best film they saw all year.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

"If this ain't a mess, it'll do 'til the mess gets here."

:D

"If you live your life by a rule, and the rule led you to this point, what does that say of the rule?"

Best. Bad Guy. Ever.

I have been having dreams about the weapon he uses for the last 3 nights since I saw the movie.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

so is the blonde in the trailer the schoolgirl from trainspotting?

12. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

lotta people I know think it's going to suck because of the trailer, but I am definitely going to go see it.

13. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I'm very excited to see this. Fargo doesn't do it for me. I know most people think it's their best, but I like Barton Fink and Lebowski so much more.

14. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

saw it. i'm sure i'll be in the minority, but i was disappointed.

huge coen brothers fan, and would put this in the lower tier of their films. i don't want to spoil anything, and i'm not one who needs all his movies neatly tied up with a bow, but i would have preferred a different ending.

the acting was top notch, and bardem was one of the best serial killers i've ever seen on film, but i left unsatisfied.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Just got back...like I predicted, not disappointed at all.

16. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Man this movie kicked so much ass.

And I agree with you B-Bob about that weapon. I jumped straight out of my seat during some of those parts.

I still don't know what happened to some of the characters. Lots of intentional loose ends. But that's the Coen bros. for you.

GO SEE IT.

17. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

I'm in the minority of course, but I didn't like it much. Yeah yeah, it's one of those movies everyone ooh's and ahh's about, but I thought it was boring. Then again I never liked Fargo or Miller's Crossing either.

18. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

I'll agree here, that gun scared the **** out of me on some occasions, lol.

19. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

agreed. i absolutely love miller's crossing though.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

What an amazing movie. I have not been able to get it out of my head all morning.

Bardem deserves the oscar right now. "The ultimate badass" Boy was he ever creepy. Probably the best villain since Hannibal Lecter.

The worst thing about this movie is how many people will b**** about the ending because they thought this was your every day run-of-the-mill serial killer flick.