1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Steve Francis returning to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gfab-babyboi, Jul 19, 2007.

1. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

After watching an older video of Mike James saying that he's been "jacking" his whole career and gave the impression that he's going to continue, how this and the addition of shoot happy Steve Francis effect the rest of the team? I do agree that we didn't have enough scorers last year but will Adelman be able to get all these guys to share the ball? I can see James, Bonzi, and Francis freezing out Scola...what effect will that have on him? If Adelman can make this work...

2. insomnyak21

insomnyak21 Member

"The top option during his five-year stint with the club, he will be no more than the third option behind McGrady and Yao Ming. Francis spoke with both players as well as new Rockets coach Rick Adelman before deciding to accept Houston's offer."Francis' deal with Rockets worth $6 million By Chris Broussard

Looks like sign of maturity on Francis' part. Also we have to remember he wanted to play here, he chose Houston and not any other team that he can be the main guy at. He also picked Houston even though we offer less money, but then again he already has $31 million, so that was not really an issue. But IF money was still an issue i think he would have gone somewhere else, no matter where his home was.

It also looks like T-Mac is happy about the addition and can't wait to play with him. We all know that Yao is ecstatic, so we don't have to worry about him. The worries are going to be coming from the rest of the guards. Hopefully we can keep Rafer we do need a true point until Brooks develop.

Having Francis on the team gives us a really deep bench (whether he's on it or not), which we haven't had in a long time. Think about it, T-Mac goes out, we bring Francis in. We all know we have some older players on our team that will need a rest every now and then. Think of how T-Mac performed day in and day out with little rest, now he can actually get more minutes resting on the bench without the team sacrificing a lot of points. A well rested T-Mac is a better T-Mac. The pressure on T-Mac and Yao shoulders are now a little lighter, knowing that someone from the bench can come in and hopefully not lose the lead.

Every players goal is to win that Championship. We fans have tasted it, but these players haven't and i'm liking the words that are coming out of their mouths. They want to work for that ring. Let's hope it's true, cause if it is, we need to start planning for a parade (maybe i'm too optimistic, but we better get out of the first round).

i'm hoping for the best, BUT we shall see. It worked for me in NBA LIVE let's hope it works in real life. We are soon about to find out. Bye-bye 70 point games.

i know some of what i am saying has been said already, but 52 pages is just a lot of page to read.

someone give me some pills, i need some sleep.

3. tmacyao111

tmacyao111 Member

steve struggles to bring the ball up the court i sure hope he doesent start

4. Daw204

Daw204 Member

what do you mean freezing Scola out? The not sharing the ball kind or the MJ/Pippen to Tony Kukoc kind?

5. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

Yes, the not sharing the ball kind.

6. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Only players CAN freeze Scola out are Yao and TMac, which will never happen. In the new offense, it seems Yao would be more like a quarterback that distributing the ball...

7. Daw204

Daw204 Member

I think Steve will share the ball with Scola. Remember when SF tried to get Yao involved? Also SF is more mature now. On the other hand, Mike James and Bonzi are going to be ball hogs when Yao and T-Mac are resting

8. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

The return of Wink.... yeah baby. Now we just need the Cat back. Wink3Cat5...

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

and they wonder why people turn them off and listen to AY BEY BEY!!
    They are ridiculous most times

Rocket River

11. Blue

Blue Member

Hey Dave Cebrero...Think we can get a Impossible is Nothing wallpaper with Steve in the Black uni? I think this the epitome of Impossible is Nothing...Could anyone have ever seen this coming 3 years ago?

12. rocketchaos

rocketchaos Member

That's so classic! :D van halen not van haggar...lol...aside from akeem, steevie has always been my favorite rocket of all time!!!

...uhm...da splash we hear is when "sura faints"...lol
    wow!!!

13. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I'm beginning to get the idea!!

14. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

How deep is our bench. were probaly the deepest team in the league. if we can land someone like Pj Brown for the Vet Minimum we'll be set

Francis/James/Alston/Brooks
    SG:Tracy/Bonzi/Luther
    SF:Battier/Snyder/Bonzi/Reed
    PF:Scola/PJ Brown/Hayes/Butler/Landry
    C:Yao/Deke/Butler/Big jake

We can put a bench of
    James/Alston
    Wells/Head
    Snyder/Wells
    Hayes/PJ Brown(if we get him)or landry/Butler
    Deke/Butler/Big Jake
    Thats insane deep. reminiscient of those insane deep teams of the TrailBlazers or the Kings of the late 9

15. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Steve Francis for only $2.4 million, is nuff said. He may not be an all-star anymore but his talent is worth much more than the price the Rockets are getting him for. It's a big plus having Stevie come off the bench against the other teams second and third team guys. He's deepening the talent pool and that's a better problem to have than to have no talent pool at all. Another low risk high reward deal...Morey is either super lucky or super smart.

16. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Steve will start

17. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

To be able to bring in Mike James, Steve Francis, Luis Scola, Jackie Butler, , Justin Reed, Aron Brooks, Carl Landry for the loss of only Howard and v span is nothing short of miracle. also convincing Bonzi to remain and get in shape is like getting another recurit for peanuts. We've got the deepest team in the league, all we got do is get them to focus on the big picture and accept there lesser roles.

18. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Although that may be possible, I think that Mike James is the more solid PG based on recent performances and that he will earn the starting role. Either way, that's an awesome 1-2 punch.

19. Genomyte

Genomyte Member

Morey is making me a believer...
    I thought the acquisition of Battier was great last season; he was the kind of player that could keep our defense honest and also provide leadership on the court and in the locker room. The guy was a model citizen and a true team player... and we got to dump Swift who clearly was not working out for the team. The amount of talent we are acquiring is certainly impressive. If nothing else we are stocking up on options; options that we did not have before, especially on the offense. The key is not to olbigate the coach to use every option; this certainly should add a greater sense of competition among our roster for playing time and will hopefully push everyone to play better, especialy the guards. We seem to have several 'outcasts' from other teams now. Hopefully, these players will commit to playing together and for one another and not solely for themselves. Morey and The Rockets have given them the opportunity, it's up to them to make it count.

20. superhoga

superhoga Member

Can't wait to see those stupid skips down the court. And I love his pet move of spinning in the lane and putting the ball right into the hands of the nearest defender. Do you think he's learned how to run a fast break yet? Good thing this is low risk. There will certainly be less return. I'd like to see Alston and James share about 80% of the minutes and Brooks get the remainder. Steve can sub at the 2 for a few minutes as long as he doesn't shoot outside of 15 feet. Just please not the point. PLEEEEASE!